Forums

When my teacher asked me if I was gay......what should I have said?

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 22, 2011, 13:38

The question may have been out of genuine concern……but possibly not asked in the right way, place or time.

What do you think were the teachers motives.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 22, 2011, 14:20

Hi Cal

avb wrote:

The question may have been out of genuine concern……but possibly not asked in the right way, place or time. What do you think were the teachers motives.

I have been thinking along the same lines as avb with this. In terms of possible motives, maybe the teacher is gay or knows others who are and was showing awareness of LGBT issues and trying to make it a permitted topic or breaking the ice for you? From that perspective, you can see there was a good intention. Of course I’m just theorising and am interested to know what you think the motives were. And irrespective of the teacher’s reason for asking, I still think this question could have been posed at a better time or location.

Don’t you find that the one viewing the art projects into the artwork and so the teacher’s question may reveal information about himself moreso than your piece. And of course you project yourself into the work too so it’s a combination of you, the viewer and then the magical blend of you and each viewer’s perceptions. I find it fascinating to think about that and how no one person’s response will be exactly the same as another’s. Similarly the dynamic between yourself as creator and each viewer will be different.

Your reply above about the piece being about struggle, not so much gay struggle, might be what you tell others who ask, and this is common to all humans no matter what their orientation.

Thanks for letting us share in this discussion.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 22, 2011, 15:04

this may have already been covered…..but is this in a secondary, tertiary or private educational setting?

cal87

Joined in 2011
June 23, 2011, 18:39

Thanks all for your help. I am at uni. I have considered talking to him myself. I don’t think it’s something I need to get student support involved in, though the uni is very pro LBGT. He is married with adult kids and I am pretty sure he is not gay (but that doesn’t always mean anything), he made mention of some gay friends later in the convo so maybe he is just super aware of these things. I have to go into uni next week so I may quietly have a chat to him.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.039 seconds.