Forums

When my teacher asked me if I was gay......what should I have said?

Page:   1 2

cal87

Joined in 2011
June 20, 2011, 17:38

I don’t know if this is the right place for it, but today I had my end of semester assessment and presented my folio to my lecturer, which was about my struggle in reconciling my faith with being gay, I didn’t say what the struggle was in particular, but he asked me if I was gay, and I wasn’t yet ready for him to know (or my peers for that matter – I was worried they’d over hear if I said yes as they were in the next room), I sorta fumbled my way through some kinda response (which probably made it quite clear i was). My question is, as I am not yet ready to come out to certain people, how is a good way to respond when people guess? I was so thrown by him asking that it left me feeling really crappy after my presentation, and before hand I had felt quite confident of my work and myself.

As someone who has just come out to her parents, this has kinda shaken me a bit. Thanks for your help.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 20, 2011, 21:31

I think other’s are in a better position to answer this, I kinda feel like saying be Gay and proud though. 🙂 You have to tell people in your timing, if you are not ready then don’t feel pressured. I guess because of the work you presented was on your struggle, even though you didn’t state what struggle, the teacher was bound to ask, would of been more sensitive of them if they asked in private though, that way as a teacher he has a better understanding of your work. As I said others are in a better position to answer this, the only thing I can think of is to say in this situation is “your artwork is about a personal struggle” and that’s all.

I think this is the perfect place to ask your question, this is the place for support and love. I am wondering if maybe a different title to the post would get more attention, ” teacher asked about my being gay through artwork” or something. Just a thought 🙂

Sounds like your work was excellent and you should be proud and confident in it.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 20, 2011, 23:49

I changed the subject of this post……let me know if you are not okay with it. I thought Motherhens suggestion was a good one

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 21, 2011, 00:39

Hi Cal

I agree with Mother Hen in terms of not being pressured if you don’t feel like divulging personal information. You could always answer with something that puts it back to the other like: “This is a very personal matter and something I’m not ready to discuss”. OR, “You’ve asked a very personal question within hearing distance of others and I’m not comfortable with that.” ….OR ..”this is not the time or place.”.. ,OR, “It’s interesting that you’ve asked me that… Would it matter if I was gay?”, OR, “What does it mean for you to ask me that question?”

The other thing to consider is that it sounds like your work was bound to raise questions so could it be possible that part of you wanted that in some form as an opportunity to bring this part of you out in the open?? Now I’m not suggesting that you wanted the art teacher’s particular approach but that maybe your choice of work topic was a way of subtly introducing this part of you. Any thoughts about that? And if this is true, what responses were you hoping to receive from others and how might you respond in future to other comments or questions?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 21, 2011, 11:40

I guess a question that comes up in my mind is does your artwork obviously point out the struggle you have gone through. Does your artwork make more sense to the viewer when they understand the context.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 21, 2011, 11:58

People often express themselves in their artwork, for some people that could be easier than actually speaking the words to someone, the art speaks for them. I think Ann Maree has asked some excellent thought provoking questions for you Cal.

micott

Joined in 2008
June 22, 2011, 01:11

you should have said you first you reveal your most intimate or vulnerable personal details first so that i can use your embarasment to have control of you because if i reveal to you you will use my vulnerability to lord yourself over me it is all about power perhaps i should say is it all about power

cal87

Joined in 2011
June 22, 2011, 05:57

The artwork is more about struggle than gay struggle. It’s something I deliberately did so as to make the work identifiable for anyone viewing it, straight or gay. No one else who’s looked at the work was able to make that conclusion, so it threw me when my lecturer asked. The responses you have all come up with are really helpful though.

cal87

Joined in 2011
June 22, 2011, 05:58

Micott- I am not sure I understand what you mean

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
June 22, 2011, 12:00

Hi Cal87,

I too did Art at school through to Year 12 and often had my teachers wondering what I was trying to say through my pieces, both paintings and ceramic sculptures. :~

You might not have intentionally meant to show this side of yourself but your inner thoughts and passions often are revealed anyway! I would love to see your art piece myself to appreciate what you presented.

Beside that point this teacher may have seen this aspect through their own observations anyway and took the opportunity with your artwork to say something BUT some sensitivity would have been good! :X

It sounds like your art is important to you and I hope this doesn’t make your class uncomfortable.

Do you feel this teacher is approachable? Ann Maree’s question suggestions were really good. Maybe you could speak to someone in your school wellbeing team,(student support) if you feel there is someone who may be ok, and mention this interaction with your art teacher. It might help to have another staff member who could speak to them for you or even with you? Do you feel your school is lgbt supportive?

One thing for sure, (that has already been said by others on the forum) you need to be ready to talk about your sexuality when you feel ok to do so.

Hope this helps a bit

Michelle 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.