Forums

Where to go from now...?

Page:   1 2

wilzy30

Joined in 2005
June 5, 2008, 11:05

I am wondering where to go from now.

I need to make some changes, in terms of career and emotional health.

I am not sure staying in Sydney is for me or not or whether I should return to Brisbane.

I need to make some positive changes but I don’t know where to start.

William.

😕

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 6, 2008, 10:40

I’m not sure William that anyone here could tell you what you should do with your life.

there is a lot behind your question. eg. whats wrong with your current situation? what would a geographical move accomplish? Career what are you doing? What would you change to? Whats in Brisbane that you dont have in Sydney? etc etc etc.

sounds like you need the services of a good life coach. 😆

wilzy30

Joined in 2005
June 6, 2008, 11:33

I guess I am after prayer…

I am having this coming week off and I definitely need a break. I am just feeling run down…

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 6, 2008, 19:00

A pitiful attempt at plugging your services Anthony 😉 😆

I will certainly pray for you William. Sometimes its good to take a break and analyse what needs to change in your life and what is causing you problems.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
June 6, 2008, 19:41

I know exactly how you feel

I have just graduated from uni and I have to do my induction year in teaching in Scotland, which I have accepted. But after that I have absolutely no idea what to do.

The teaching profession is dire here and there are so many teachers competing for very few jobs.

Part of me wants to do what I done in high school. I left high school on a whim, my parents were furious and my teachers didn’t understand but honestly it was the best decision I ever made. I went to college, worked hard and I’ve ultimately got where I want to be,

Sometimes over-thinking and analysing things can be a hindrance as well as an advantage – you spend so long analysing things that you dont get anything done lol

Will keep you in my prayers

Justin

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 7, 2008, 07:58

Congratulations Justin on finishing Uni, well done. 😀

I agree Wilzy that sometimes as you have said its just a matter of having “a break”, because we are run down we want to escape the place where we feel run down.

Having some time out for you and smelling the roses so to speak is always a good thing, going for a walk, going to a fun park, stepping out of the everyday and clearing the mundane routine cobwebs and doing something different, even a short holiday anywhere, even an overnight stay in Hotel used to do me wonders. I Will be praying for you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 7, 2008, 12:17

yep….time out is always good ……..and can give you clarity……I guess the other thing to watch out for is analysis paralysis……….ie……getting so lost in your head all we ever do is live in confusion.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 8, 2008, 11:17

So… oh wise and mighty Venn Brown (oh sorry I promised to stop teasing didn’t I? Opps! 😆 )

What is the alternative to analysis paralysis? I mean its all well and good to agree that it is unhelpful… but then people don’t over analyse for the sheer joy of it. So where to from there? Whats the link between confusion and agency?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 8, 2008, 12:58

well……let me think now……do I have an answer for that. 😆

analysis paralysis…is hallmarked by inaction. Going over things again and again but never coming to any conclusions and therefore no action.

What I would do with a coaching client who was suffering from this is.

1. Get then to take a realistic and honest view of the situation -taking all judgment out.

2. Offer suggestions of things they might not see

3. Get them to come up with as many options as solutions

4. Offer suggestions of options they might not see

5. Help them choose the most appropriate option then set a goal around it.

6. Take them through the strategies to achieve that goal whilst anticipating what might get in the way and how they would overcome that.

7. Set realistic deadlines to achieve that goal. the first step would be taken within 24 to 48 hours.

Analysis Paralysis overcome!

More of these wonderful personal developments tips in my newsletter archive……particularly this one

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs055/1101277457148/archive/1101886489843.html

full list here.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs055/1101277457148/archive/1101886489394.html 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 8, 2008, 21:06

At the risk of offending sensitivities (and please know that is not my intent) I don’t see how this always works. Lets take the homosexuality/Christian conundrum as an example since this is F2b. It’s all smooth sailing utill you reach point 5. If, for example (entirely hypothetically) person x has chosen a face value reading of the bible and a conservative viewpoint as the best possible outcome for them, realistically, they are probably headed towards some kind of ex-gay ministry. However, since ‘change’ is not based on human willingness or ability then any sense of agency is mute. To set a time limit on acheiving change is even more implausibe. It just doesn’t work when we have to rely on things that are outside of our own control!

You can have all the strategies for change, go to all the counciling you like, pray until your fingers cramp but it makes no difference if its not on God’s timetable. I supose it does actually overcome the analysis bit… because there is action involved but its simply replaced by hopelessness when things don’t work exactly to our schedual or in the way we stratgised they would…

I know I am opening myself up to the obvious comeback “well it doesn’t work because change doesn’t work” but my point is, in matters relating to God, are things always so simple?

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.