Forums

Where to now?

Page:   1 2

Michelle

Joined in 2012
October 20, 2012, 22:22

Thank you jamesn for replying to my post. I really enjoyed the F2B meeting at the VAC last night. Were you at the meeting last night as well? If you were I sincerely appologise as I am terrible with remembering names, but not so bad a remembering faces 🙂 I know I REALLY need to talk!! Unfortunately, that is not one of my strongest points!! I am more of a listener, which obviously doesn't help me in the slightest :-} There are many things that I need to change about me, which will be challenging beyond belief!! I do find Linda and Michelle the easiest to talk too. Their lives are so unbelievably busy though and they have so many people that they support already, including their family!! I do appreciate your reply to my post and I thank you very much.

Mish

Michelle

Joined in 2012
November 12, 2012, 11:25

I am amazed and at times still overwhelmed at what has transpired for me over the past week. I don't know if anyone listened to Fox Fm in Melbourne on Thursday when Troy came out as being gay in a public forum. When I heard the question that was asked by the listener, my heart was pounding and I felt it very hard to breathe! It was almost like the question was coming straight at me! After composing myself I decided to email Fox Fm and thank them for airing Thursdays show. In the email I briefly acknowledged that I am just beginning my journey of coming out and that Troy had just helped lead me to a self-realisation. Low and behold within an hour I received a phone call from the Fox and they asked me if I would like to be a part of their segment on Friday morning! I thought just hearing the question 'are you gay' (not even directed at me) was confronting…..oh what have I got myself in for?? From that point onwards my direction in life was immediately turned on its head! I had so many thoughts running through my head, that it was spinning! I spoke to a very dear friend of mine who I have known for many years. I told her what had happened and that I am a lesbian. Totally unprepared for her reaction, she answered me with "Do I look surprised?" Only a few minutes after she actually commented that I was more relaxed than she had ever seen me! It was like a weight that had been weighing me down for a very long time was lifted. After talking with my friend for a while, I decided it was time to tell my parents and my children. The feelings that started to build up inside me were almost indescribable. Thinking back now, those feelings ranged from sheer terror through to this is not the hardest thing I have lived through! It came the time I felt that I was ready to approach my parents. Time felt like it was flying but it was still Thursday!! I came straight out with it to my parents and could feel myself cowering inside in fear of what their reactions would be. I had points for me to remember and answers jotted down to nearly every conceivable question they may ask me. My Dad's response was: "I have been wondering about that for a while!" Needless to say this almost threw me off my chair – a reaction I never thought was going to come from my Dad. My Mum asked me a few questions like: "how long have you known?" and "Do you have a partner?" Very surprising responses from both of my parents. In the same conversation though my Dad threw in: "Now there's no need to advertise!" They came over on Saturday and when it came time for my parents to leave, my Mum gave me a huge kiss and cuddle – which we never do much of. My Dad always kisses me good bye – though this time he did not! I guess even though his response on Thursday when I told him appeared to relieve me, I don't know if he will accept the fact that his daughter is a lesbian. I guess time will tell? I hope from being open and frank about my journey and being comfortable with my sexuality, that it will help just one person to get the 'weight of the world' off their shoulders as it has done for me.

I am so deeply thankful to Linda and Michelle and to all that have been supportive at the monthly meetings in Melbourne and on the forums here on Freedom 2b. Without you all I would not be in such a beautiful place as I am today.

Peace and Happiness to all,

Mish

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
November 12, 2012, 11:37

Wow Mish how totally amazing, you are so incredible brave, well done, you should be so proud of yourself. Talk about being thrown into the deep end and girl you swum, no floundering around in the deep end for you. Wow this is so incredible, wonderful, amazing. So proud of you, Hopefully it will all be onwards and upwards for you now, Such a huge step you have just taken. Awesome 🙂

As far as your parents are concerned I think you got a pretty good response, you just need to keep showing them you are still the same daughter they have always loved. As they see your blossom and happy from having this huge weight off you, they will see this was the best thing for you. All they will want is to see you happy. They also need time to adjust to all this even though they might have wondered about your sexuality, it will still be a big shock.

You go girl 🙂

God Bless

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 12, 2012, 21:23

Hi Mish

Wow! I did listen to the radio segment you mentioned on Fri. It was quite by 'accident' that I tuned in to someone saying that Troy's disclosure made her heart jump out of her chest. And I was compelled by something in her voice and then I realised what the topic was and really listened in. Was that you speaking, Mish? How exciting!! 🙂

Congrats on coming out to your parents and friend!! They have responded quite well and it will be a period of adjustment for them too, maybe for your Dad moreso than your Mum. I agree with Mother Hen that this is not such a bad response from him though so that's great. 🙂 🙂

You've done really well and things will keep improving from now on. It's not that there won't be challenges but having now overcome a couple of major challenges, everything else may seem a bit easier. Congrats again.:) 🙂 🙂 Yay! You're amazing!! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.