Forums

Who stole pink?

Page: 1

J

Joined in 2012
October 1, 2012, 09:34

Ok so I went to the Zen Garden in Auckland the other day with my parents and noticed like a gajillion Toon trees – for those who don't know they're the most stunning pink leaved trees you will ever see in your entire life, and I'm not usually a pink person, but they looked like they just came from the Avatar film, and I fell in love with them (I think the leaves only pop up for like two weeks in the whole year before they fall or something which makes them even more special). Here's what they look like:

So I got to thinking… why do most rainbow themed things exclude pink? Doesn't the rainbow include violet/pink? It seems every rainbow coloured thing I see has red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, but no violet/pink. Why is this? Even rainbow coloured cupcakes, cake, cookies and all the baked foods in general with the rainbow in it is missing pink. Heck, even the pride flag!!! I am so puzzled as to why this is…

See :-/

It just abruptly ends at indigo/purple.

No pink!!! See for yourself. Google it. I am not kidding. Who stole pink?

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
October 1, 2012, 10:50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag_%28LGBT_movement%29

J

Joined in 2012
October 1, 2012, 17:08

Hmmm hot pink fabric I suppose I could understand. It's sort of like the same thing with coloured denim jeans – they exist, but they're extremely hard to find. Most of the time the only good colours are either only available in Chino style jeans (quite waxy), or 'Skinny' jeans, both of which just aren't my style.

Surely there's hot pink fabric for flags though atleast? Though I guess the pride flag without the pink looks good.

Thanks for the link btw, I didn't know much about Harvey Milk, despite seeing a bit of the film, so that was a good read.

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
October 1, 2012, 17:11

You are quite welcome 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 1, 2012, 18:40

Hi Jordan

I always thought pink was included. You may be too young to remember this song:

Red and yellow and pink and green

Purple and orange and blue

I can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow too.

Listen with your eyes,

Listen with your ears,

And sing everything you see,

I can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Sing along with me.

Red and yellow and pink and green,

Purple and orange and blue,

I can sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow,

Sing a rainbow too!

According to the following link from wiki answers, a rainbow is made up of millions of colors, but our eyes have only evolved enough to recognise the primary colors and their combinations. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_rainbows_have_only_seven_colors

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
October 2, 2012, 09:57

Hey Ann 😀 I've never heard of that song before – atleast I wasn't taught that one at school, heh.

Would be cool if someone made pride flags using some really high tech printer to blend the colours and include every colour rather than using the 6 colours used now 😀 that would be pretty sweet, though pretty expensive too.

I wonder why hot pink fabric is hard to make. Surely it looks good on a pride flag and isn't that hard to make? I just think it feels like the flag doesn't represent the full spectrum of colours 🙁

Maybe pink is too close to red too so people exclude it from rainbow themed baked goods?

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.