Forums

Why cant the church today Leave sexuality at the door.

Page: 1

murrayd

Joined in 2009
December 11, 2009, 23:43

Just remember that Jesus went without the camp. He mixed with the dregs of society and was himself condemned for doing so.He was crucified outside the camp.

Let us also go outside the camp and show Gods love to the unloved by the Pharasitical attitude of so many of the evangelical churches of today.

Remember Jesus words where he said that these so called followers said Lord I did this in your name I did that in your name. He replied he did not know them because they did not do it in love..

Love is the cornerstone of the Gospel.

1John 4 verse 7/8 states

Beloved let us love one another for love is from God and who ever loves has been born of God.Anyone who does not love does not know God because God is love.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
December 12, 2009, 13:53

Yep, the Christian message is about love, serving and sacrifice, just as the Bible is not a book about sexuality. Pity the modern church doesn’t understand this. Too much politics and self-serving rather than devotion and humility to those that are really in need, both spiritually and emotionally.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
December 13, 2009, 20:08

This is a little off topic and more of an anecdote than a comment but my mother was explaining to me today how her church was in an uproar because they had been studying Corinthians 14 and were the congregation were unable to reconcile the notion of women being silent in church and that the proper order of things is to ask your husband any questions insted of asking the pastor/minister/priest. I told mum to make an effort of observe the congregation in the future and see how many take this message on board. Will the women suddenly become silent? Will the men need to dust off their bibles and pull out their concordences to answer the many questions of their wives? How many will crack under the pressure? The suspence is killing me.

In the end, I suspect that very few if any will actually take this passage to heart and make an solid effort to abide by it, men and women alike. However I doubt anyone will even notice, surely no one will comment if next week Mrs. Davidson wants to know what the word propripitation means and askes good ol’ pastor Dave after the service. It’s curious the heirarchy that is established around sin, that homosexuality is publicly condemned and labled a perversion while women speaking up in church and men prefering to read the Sunday paper insted of their bibles gets brushed over like last weeks news.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 13, 2009, 21:44

Thanks Murrayd for that message and scripture – that passage from 1 John is one of my favourites. It seems to me that loving others, including the unlovely, is such a challenge to all of us, that we’d do well simply focusing on that and little else. Sandy you make me laugh. And you’re right – hardly anyone will remember whether the lady up the back had to ask the pastor rather than her husband. And in the scheme of things, it just doesn’t matter. And what does Corinthians say about love – that when things like knowledge and prophecies vanish or pass away, it remains. That’s a pretty strong endorsement of love to me and a personal reminder that when I get attached to certain ideas, they are not likely to be as important as I think or eternal for that matter, as love is.

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 13, 2009, 21:46

Oh and great comment, mobileguy. The church should stay out of politics and would do well to remember that the bible is indeed not a book about sexuality.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
December 13, 2009, 21:55

It’s typical of many churches today I think Sandy to use the word of God for their own ends eg keeping women silent in the church and of course the homosexuality debate.

The trailblazers have rightly said debate? What debate? … Context is everything 🙂

Penny

Joined in 2008
December 14, 2009, 14:58

Like the discussion & comments happening in this link, NICE!

For me, the church should not never leave sexuality at the soor, as a persons sexuality (Straight/queer/other) is a very real part of them. Yes the bible does not directly address sexuality, but it does clearly call Christians to a life that follows the way of Jesus.

The Church is called to make disciples of Jesus & this involves all of us as humans.

The issue is that the Church needs to be promoting healthy and Christ centred loving perspectives of human sexuality! One that is inclusive, wholistic and ethical.

That is the challenge…

murrayd

Joined in 2009
December 14, 2009, 22:46

I agree with you penny about that we should be centred on Jesus .As paul said in Hebrews 12.2 Looking to Jesus The author and finisher of our faith. Its when you are told I love you as a brother or sister but I dont love the sin that you are committing. How do they know what your life is like.I myself am not involved in any sexual practice but have always been gay as long as I can remember .I would be lying if I was to say that i was completely free from my past. The main reason is that i think Gay.. Over the last 3 years God has really dealt with me concerning this. I have my story on freedom2b[e] under the title of’ “Why me Lord why me” Read it and you will see where I am coming from. God bless you with MCC.You are doing a wonderful work 🙂

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.