Forums

Your convenor to represent Aussie at US conference

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 9, 2009, 23:01

I’m flying out this Thursday.

here is the doc I prepared to help raise support for the trip FYI. It will be a full on 13 days on the ground.

Anthony Venn-Brown to Attend

‘Building Community to End the Harm Caused by Heterosexism & Reparative Therapy’

Sponsored by

Soulforce, Truth Wins Out, the National Black Justice Coalition, Beyond Ex-Gay, Box Turtle Bulletin, and Equality Florida

There are a number of ‘ex-gay’ ministries in Australia under the banner of Exodus. There needs to be constant monitoring of activities, assistance for ‘ex-gay’ survivors, deconstruction of the ‘ex-gay’ myth and an alternative voice in the media.

The ‘Ex-gay’ message causes:

• Mental health issues for participants as identified by the American Psychiatric and Psychological Associations

• Confusion about the separate issues of sexual abuse/addiction and sexual orientation

• Reinforcement of internalised homophobia and self-hatred

• Depression and suicide attempts when participants are unable to change their natural same-sex-orientation

• Tragic outcomes for the spouse and family of those who married believing heterosexual marriage would bring final healing.

• Entrenchment of the belief that homosexuality is a choice, illness and the result of a dysfunctional upbringing.

Anthony Venn-Brown

As co-founder and Convenor of Freedom 2 b[e], Anthony Venn-Brown has become Australia’s leading ‘ex-gay’ authority. He is regularly called upon by the media for comment and has told his story several times on national TV shows such as 60 Minutes, Sunrise and Kerri Anne. In 2007 Anthony attended the world’s first ‘Ex-gay Survivors Conference’ in California USA. It was at this event he established important connections with organisations doing a similar work such as Beyond Ex-gay, The Ex-gay Watch, The Boxed Turtle Bulletin, Truth Wins Out, Soulforce and Courage. In 2007 Anthony was voted one of The 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians

Previous projects to deconstruct the ‘ex-gay’ myth have been:

• Established Freedom 2 b[e], a network GLBT people from christian backgrounds

• Created awareness in the mainstream and gay media about the destructive outcomes of ‘ex-gay’ programs

• Launched http://www.exgayaustralianewzealand.com site

• Released 20 Questions for “Ex-gay” Ministry Leaders which challenges the validity of ‘ex-gay’ testimonials

• ‘A Life of Unlearning- a journey to find the truth’ autobiography including ‘ex-gay’ experience won the 2004 SGLBA Literary Award

• Organised the international release of apologies from five former Australian ‘Ex-gay’ Leaders

• Since 2000 has moderated an online support group, Exex-gay for survivors of ‘ex-gay’ ministries.

• Worked with many individuals who previously attended ‘ex-gay’ groups assisting them to find resolution.

Expected outcomes from attending the conference

• Gain valuable up to date information and insights about ‘ex-gay’ activities and recent research.

• Reinforce existing relationships with Beyond Ex-gay, The Boxed Turtle Bulletin, Truth Wins Out and Soulforce

• Work on global strategies to deconstruct the ‘ex-gay’ myth

• Create new networking relationships

• Contribute in the Friday symposium and conference workshops

• Anthony will be the only representative from Australia attending the conference

Extras

• Meet with two mega-church pastors who are in the questioning phase about homosexuality

• Spend a day at GLAAD in NYC.

• Meet up with Azariah Southworth in LA

• Speak at Freedom in Christ church in San Francisco

• Anthony will be the only representative from Australia attending the conference

Anthony trip has been sponsored by the SGLBA, a private donor and Soulforce

Nick

Joined in 2007
November 9, 2009, 23:33

can you invite Azariah to Sydney for the next MG parade please AVB? Thanks

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 9, 2009, 23:35

Would you like to pay for the airfare Nick.

Nick

Joined in 2007
November 10, 2009, 14:07

Oh yeah i forgot abt the airfare 😉

One day avb, one day i’ll be rich enough to do that

cow shoes

Joined in 2007
November 10, 2009, 14:57

• Tragic outcomes for the wife and family of those who married believing heterosexual marriage would bring final healing.

Hi Anthony this is great that you are attending this conference . As someone who has had the above experience but from a female point of view just wondering if instead of using the word wife you could use the word spouse. It then encompasses both sides who are gay and have experienced heterosexual marriage. Thanks and all the best

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 10, 2009, 17:27

Hi Avb

This looks great. Good on you for your work and I look forward to hearing how it goes at the conference.

And good point Cow shoes about using the word ‘spouse’.

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 10, 2009, 19:22

• Tragic outcomes for the wife and family of those who married believing heterosexual marriage would bring final healing.

Hi Anthony this is great that you are attending this conference . As someone who has had the above experience but from a female point of view just wondering if instead of using the word wife you could use the word spouse. It then encompasses both sides who are gay and have experienced heterosexual marriage. Thanks and all the best

thanks for pointing that out cowshoes…….you are right. I’m usually quite good with inclusive language…….this time I slipped up.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 12, 2009, 11:50

…..a couple more hours and I’ll be leaving Sydney

not sure how much time I’ll have to be on the forum…….if you want to follow my trip then you can do so on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/gayambassador

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 28, 2009, 15:48

I’m home…..and come to the forum……OMG….you guys have been busy while I’m away…….love it that this is not about AVB……it just happens.

when I get time I’ll send out a newsletter with some of the faaaaaaaabulous highlights of the trip. I was certainly meant to go that is for sure.

Unfortunately I won’t have time to read all the discussions that have gone on while I’ve been away.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
November 29, 2009, 13:14

I’m home…..and come to the forum……OMG….you guys have been busy while I’m away…….love it that this is not about AVB……it just happens.

Welcome back. Look forward to hearing all the news from the conference 😀

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.