Forums

20, gay christian, excommunicated by church & disowned by family.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

Craig Hoyle

Joined in 2010
January 20, 2010, 14:29

Whilst many here have not experienced being a part of cult……I guess we can relate to times we have been in churches that have had cultic elements to them. I often say that culture of itself is good……companies have cultures….countries have cultures…..families have cultural traits…….but when that culture is taken to far and to the extreme it becomes cultic …..a bondage and oppressive…….would you agree with that?????

Hi Anthony!

Yes, I think you’re right. Sometimes, though, it can be quite a subtle shift from “culture” to “cultic”, and it can take a while before people realise it has taken place. I was wondering about it the other day, and came to the conclusion that the change takes place when the leadership within a “culture” begins to forbid members to deviate from or question the core foundations of that group. When this element of control is introduced, it starts to become “cultic”. The Exclusive Brethren, for example, use catchphrases like “if you don’t understand it, don’t question it”, and “we’ll do the thinking, you do the doing”.

Craig Hoyle

Joined in 2010
January 20, 2010, 14:33

I forgot to say!

Thanks to everyone for your support, it means a lot 🙂 Life can be a difficult journey at times, but it is the love and friendship of those around us that carries us through. I appreciate every bit!

Ian – are you in Sydney? I’m coming to the mardi gras at the end of next month – would be nice to meet anyone who’s in the area 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 20, 2010, 18:17

Hi Craig

Brilliantly put about the subtle changes from culture to cultish. I can so relate to that. My church started off as a very loving community, just as Jonestown did (Actually, I couldn’t take my eyes off that documentary/story of Jonestown and recommend it for anyone who thinks they’ve been in a cult. There were so many parallels with my own experience of church). But then as time went on, things gradually changed and we were told that anyone “not of the vision for the church must be against it or against leadership”. This of course was another way of saying that we couldn’t question anything. Things became more and more absolute and there was no room for variation or grey areas, as there needs to be in normal societies.

Now, I personally feel that if I’m finding myself listening to another’s views more than my own inner voice, there’s a problem. But sometimes in increasingly rigid churches/communities, the changes are so slight over time and people are so involved that it becomes difficult to see the wood for the trees. The inner voice gets muffled or silenced.

Craig, it’s really helpful learning about your experiences and no doubt healing for you to share as well. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 20, 2010, 21:49

Whilst many here have not experienced being a part of cult……I guess we can relate to times we have been in churches that have had cultic elements to them. I often say that culture of itself is good……companies have cultures….countries have cultures…..families have cultural traits…….but when that culture is taken to far and to the extreme it becomes cultic …..a bondage and oppressive…….would you agree with that?????

Hi Anthony!

Yes, I think you’re right. Sometimes, though, it can be quite a subtle shift from “culture” to “cultic”, and it can take a while before people realise it has taken place. I was wondering about it the other day, and came to the conclusion that the change takes place when the leadership within a “culture” begins to forbid members to deviate from or question the core foundations of that group. When this element of control is introduced, it starts to become “cultic”. The Exclusive Brethren, for example, use catchphrases like “if you don’t understand it, don’t question it”, and “we’ll do the thinking, you do the doing”.

like the boiling frog syndrome

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
January 22, 2010, 13:28

Hi Craig,

Just adding my voice to the chorus of greetings and also thank you for sharing your story. It must have taken incredible courage to cut the ties with a group who had been everything to you for most of your life. I can’t imagine what that must have felt like.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve made contact with some family members outside of the Brethren, that must be a tremendous help–and that you’re grandfather is supportive of you is just wonderful.

Looking forward to getting to know you here on the forums!

paulbrier

Joined in 2008
February 22, 2010, 10:25

Hi Craig

Great to read your story, I hope to follow you one day soon. Any tips?

All my best

Paul (UK)

[email protected]

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 22, 2010, 17:25

Hi Paul

Welcome to f2b! Is this your first time here and how did you find out about us?

Craig’s story is really inspiring, isn’t it? We’re so privileged to witness not only his amazing resilience but that of others in this forum.

Hope to hear more from you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 22, 2010, 21:20

Hey Craig,

It’s great that you will be marching with us in Mardi Gras this Saturday! I’m really looking forward to it 🙂

IanJ

Joined in 2009
February 23, 2010, 13:51

Ian – are you in Sydney? I’m coming to the mardi gras at the end of next month – would be nice to meet anyone who’s in the area 🙂

Craig,

Sorry for the delay! I’ve been kinda busy teh past few weeks- and for a few more. Unfortunately, I’m not in Sydney for Mardi Gras. I’m in a rather gay-oppressive part of the world- but at least this site isn’t blockd by the government! I’ll be back just after Mardi Gras; it would be great to catch up with you! I hope to be at the F2b[e] meeting in April. Not sure when it will be because the first Friday is Good Friday.

Ian

[email protected]

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 23, 2010, 14:55

Craig

Welcome to Freedom 2b(e). You have had an amazing journey. It is a wonderful testimony to the Lord that you are here.

We want to encourage you and help you in any way we can. You are not on your own.

When I read stories like yours, I can imagine the Lord just shaking His head.

Craig, we really want you to know the Lord loves you deeply and no you are not going to hell my friend.

It is just great to have you here.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.091 seconds.