Forums

A letter to and reply from a local AOG Pastor

Page:   1 2 3 4

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 1, 2009, 16:17

Thanks AVB for posting the whole thing. Nice to know that more than half of pentecostals think GLBTI people should have the same rights to worship freely. (I’m guessing that means being able to be in ministry too?) That surprises me in a good way.

So any news from your local pastor, Meg?

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 1, 2009, 17:03

Hi Meg, I split this thread from the Bayside message so as to try and keep everything tidy … hope you don’t mind?

And then I guess the fecal matter would hit the cooling device, wouldn’t it?

I had to do a double take when I read that sentence πŸ™‚ I think what you really meant to say was the @$%& hit the fan? πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Yeah, it was just a more ‘sanctified’ way of saying it. πŸ˜‰

Reading between the lines, it seems that the Pastor is basically saying that your’re welcome … so long as you conform to some sort of heterosexual ‘norm’ (whatever that is!) and don’t upset the apple cart. Sad really. I’m a big believer in diversity when it comes to contributing to worship …

I asked my partner this morning if she thought he was saying I could come to church as long as I am properly ashamed of myself? We both laughed at that, but maybe that is what he is saying…or I can come along as long as I keep my mouth shut about who I am. How am I meant to do that and be in relationship with anyone in the church? I feel I’d be reduced to sneaking in, staying for the service and bolting before anyone can talk to me. What’s the point in that? πŸ˜₯

So I am back to being a spiritual bag lady I guess. I don’t know why it should matter so much to me, but it does.

Makes me think of the letter of James 2:1-8

1-4My dear friends, don’t let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. If a man enters your church wearing an expensive suit, and a street person wearing rags comes in right after him, and you say to the man in the suit, “Sit here, sir; this is the best seat in the house!” and either ignore the street person or say, “Better sit here in the back row,” haven’t you segregated God’s children and proved that you are judges who can’t be trusted?

5-7Listen, dear friends. Isn’t it clear by now that God operates quite differently? He chose the world’s down-and-out as the kingdom’s first citizens, with full rights and privileges. This kingdom is promised to anyone who loves God. And here you are abusing these same citizens! Isn’t it the high and mighty who exploit you, who use the courts to rob you blind? Aren’t they the ones who scorn the new nameβ€””Christian”β€”used in your baptisms?

8-11You do well when you complete the Royal Rule of the Scriptures: “Love others as you love yourself.” But if you play up to these so-called important people, you go against the Rule and stand convicted by it.

The Message

If I am prepared metaphorically, to wear a gold ring and fine clothes, I can have a good seat, but if I want to come in wearing my ‘shabby clothes’ I’m gonna get the dog’s seat…. It’s very sad.

Still, I don’t want to be bitter about this, or slander anyone behind his or her back. Maybe that’s not what was meant…*shrugs*

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 1, 2009, 18:47

there is a tad of dont ask don’t tell in the message I think

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 1, 2009, 18:51

there is a tad of dont ask don’t tell in the message I think

Yes, I agree, Anthony and I don’t know that I can live in that kind of environment. Still, I am happy to continue the discussion with Ps. R by email. Not much he can do to me there, after all and we might both learn something.

πŸ˜†

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 1, 2009, 23:25

Hi everyone

Couldn’t agree more Getting There. I did laugh at your humourous way of putting things. And further to what others have said, Meg, it sounds like you are required to sit quietly as a second class citizen, just as I was asked to at the other church, something I simply wasn’t prepared to do. I’ve worked hard on my self esteem and won’t be putting myself back in a closet, and certainly not some moth eaten church closet to make someone else feel better! I mean, wake up pastor! Even if he’s not comfortable with homosexuality, defacto relationhships have been around for ages now, and there are many, many people in that category. If he doesn’t change with the times there won’t be anyone at his church.

I like the scripture and version you gave above. Very powerful.

It seems you were hoping for something more than what he responded with, but maybe, this is a major step forward for him? Who knows but God what’s in the heart of men.

Maybe lower your expectations with him if you do decide to have further contact to protect yourself. No doubt Avb will have good pointers as to ongoing communications.

Blessings to you and evwryone,

Ann Maree

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 2, 2009, 12:30

Aargh. The LIFESTYLE word.

My number one bugbear.

As a lesbian on another message board once said, her lifestyle consists of going to work 5 days a week, church on Sunday, and spending a lot of her spare time gardening. She’s still trying to work out which part of that is the evil lifestyle she’s not supposed to promote.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2009, 12:32

Good one Orfeo! πŸ˜€

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 2, 2009, 12:46

gets my goat as well……loved this piece in SMH……also talked about this in my email to a mega-church pastor http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4041

A letter to the Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald 09.06.06.

On Monday morning my partner and I went to work, then met some friends to see a movie, ate Thai takeaway while watching Enough Rope, then went to bed. On Tuesday we went to work, met some other friends for dinner, drank a bit too much red wine, then went to bed. On Wednesday morning, work again and tonight we’ll probably just watch a bit of tele.

In those three days George Bush, John Howard, Philip Ruddock and the Vatican all announced that recognition of our relationship was a threat to heterosexual marriage and the family itself. And here we were thinking we were just living ordinary lives.

Apologies to those whose marriages and families were destroyed as a result of our actions. We will try to be more careful in the future.

Scott McKinnon Balmain

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 2, 2009, 13:02

^^ Not seen that before. That is gold.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2009, 13:46

I know. What a classic and true response. Excellent.

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.