Forums

a tasmanians black shadow

Page:   1 2 3

rob7250

Joined in 2014
March 20, 2014, 22:13

Hi i am a 43 year old disabled male that lives in Tasmania, i became a christian in 1986 , for all of that time the "black shadow" as i call it has always been there a constant battle between my sexuality and my faith, over the years like many i have read i prayed, i asked for forgiveness, i went for prayer , i kept giving my feelings to God and felt i must have kept taking them back because maybe i did not want to let them go who knows except God. The last 10 years i have battled illness which on top of battling my sexual thoughts bought be to a place in late 2013 when for me everything came to a head. I had some experiences happen in my life which just got me further down and i felt a black shadow just engulfing me. I had tried in the past to reach out to someone years ago to talk about my struggles but it ended up being a mistake as the person who i spoke to tried to take advantage and make advances. There was no one to talk to with whom i felt and believed would not judge me ,where i live i know if anyone found out life would be harder still.

At the height of the black shadow i went searching for help, online and found an organisation that for the last three months i have started to be able to talk about my sexuality, but not able to discuss in the sense of the correlation to my faith. Then today going through face book i came across a video of a young man who was on the project and heard about this website im desperate to find peace if this is a possibility, people to share with and listen and hopefully learn. Three months ago i would not have written anything like this down regardless of the anonymity .Baby steps is what i know can happen i am further three months down the track since janurary but still feel so tied up in knots. I do not believe at this point in time that i will ever be able to reconcile my differences, or feel loved for me and the complexities of me and who i am in this world. But theres a tiny bit of me that has to believe even if.000001% it can change.

miss.muppet

Joined in 2011
March 25, 2014, 11:20

Hi Rob, I'm with you.

I still struggle with reconciling sexuality & my Christian faith. I've found that no one can really convince someone that YOU are OK & LOVED. But you are. And we all are.

Even just writing here to let things out helps me. Hang in there. You're not alone. 🙂

rob7250

Joined in 2014
March 25, 2014, 19:14

Thank you for your comment Miss muppet,

One of the posts that i read in regards to the" witch is dead" in regards to the pastor who passed away recently, great debate in some circles in regards to whether the community should take the high ground in attitude, for me it brings up a thought in regards to turning the other cheek, and being forgiving, towards someone who was so full of hate but then it got me thinking about forgiving myself there are times where i hate myself for feeling the way i do , feelings and facts ,feelings can be so fickle ,then facts can be very different depending on the view of a person or persons , i know i sound very jumbled up in writing and thought, but then i realize its part of the process.

femmenaliss

Joined in 2013
March 27, 2014, 23:19

Hi Rob

I'm a lesbian Christian here in Tasmania. So glad you posted, if you are wanting to connect up with others in the gay community here, the Tas pride website is a great one for events happening also the people at 'working it out' can help connect you up too. There is a people of faith group for GLBTI people that runs in Hobart which I don't know a lot about as I'm based in Launceston but up here in the north there's Pilgrim Uniting that is very accepting of gay people. If I could tell you one thing that I know to be true it is that God loves people with homosexual orientations too, it makes no difference to him who you love, it's how that matters and that we love him back big time. You are so important to him Rob, please don't believe others who would tell you different. Welcome to a fellow Tasmanian!

rob7250

Joined in 2014
March 28, 2014, 16:10

thank you for the post , i was beginning to feel very isolated this website is a wonderful place but it is very disheartening that at this point in time there is no support groups of freedom2b here in tassie , But with being a smaller place we seem to get left off the map at times. And also the stigma in tasmania is something that is hard for me to deal with.I am grateful for freedom2b exsisting.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 30, 2014, 16:32

Hi Rob

Welcome from me too! You have done a courageous and positive thing in posting here, giving yourself a chance to share feelings, thoughts and receive support.

Can you enquire with the groups that femmenaillis suggested are in Tasmania? Even if they are not local to you, they may have connections to suggest.

Many people here have also felt like you have, that they would not be able to reconcile their faith and sexuality. However, they have then found over time, with supports and non judgmental space to really examine their beliefs, that they can lead a positive and spiritual life that is fulfilling and happy. I believe it will happen for you too.

We are here for you in whatever way we can be of support.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

rob7250

Joined in 2014
April 1, 2014, 12:20

thank you ann maree,

i have contacted working it out and am in contact regularly with someone from there and also have subscribed to tas prides newsletter. One of the issues that i am trying to work through is this if its ok to be gay why did God make adam and eve and not adam and steve, if what God ordained marriage between men and woman is right in the eyes of God . This is one of the main conflicts i have , the other conflict i have is , excepting my sexuality giving in to something without fighting to try and change if a person accepts is it just giving in because its to difficult to try otherwise this is the first time i have ever written those thoughts down i feel like one big knot tied so tightly.

Richie Rich

Joined in 2014
April 3, 2014, 16:41

Hi Rob,

I have just joined this forum and read your story. You are very brave and loved. I have known God all my life and struggled with my own sexuality until I "came out" three years ago. You know, at the end of the day, God loves everyone, no matter who or what you are. I have tried to find references in the Bible to homosexuals and found doom & gloom. But God made us to accept and love each other.

I also have been in a very dark place and ended up in hospital, lost a huge amount of weight, with depression for over eighteen months. It was due to my then partner who left Australia to work overseas, and left me behind. But you know, the only thing that brought me back to life was my faith. I knew God loved me.

So, I am very proud of you for making small steps as you have said. Good for you. Keep pushing forward, YOU WILL MAKE IT. Be accepting of yourself, and love yourself, and then you can love others. God loves you.

Cheers

Richie Rich

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
April 6, 2014, 11:48

HI Rob,

Sorry for the delay in saying hi and welcome to F2B, I have been very busy. I hope you have taken the time to read through some of the amazing stories on this site. You will find you are not alone in trying to reconcile your faith and sexuality. Many have found peace and accepted they are very much loved by God and indeed reconciled their faith and sexuality. It might take some time, we all had a lot of unlearning to do, but their is hope 🙂 Hang in there, this is a great place to reach out to people, find acceptance and encouragement.

rob7250

Joined in 2014
June 9, 2014, 18:45

Hello everyone,

I am a person most of the time of very few words, ill write something down when need to, been a couple of months since i wrote, although have been on the site everyday checking latest posts, to bring those that are interested up to date early in the year i started to get help from an organisation called working it out, had a really great counselor just chatting about things first of all by email then i got the courage to have counseling by phone, i really benefited from it but the guy who was helping me left the organisation and i was not given anybody else so i had gotten to a point where i was ok i did not have the black shadow and i was able to start to make some little steps, but since then things have gone backwards i do not have the black shadow so much as i feel very isolated and alone.

I am in no position to talk to any of my acquaintances of what i am experiencing the irony is that the two edge sword is that i am scared but want to be around some form of support group that i can work stuff out, but also scared .

Those of you that are on the mainland that have freedom2b support groups you indeed very lucky to have that , being in Tasmania there seems to be that idea being in such a small place we miss out. This is not in any way a gripe just an ache in my heart .

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.098 seconds.