Forums

An older crush?

Page:   1 2

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 25, 2009, 11:38

Classical theory considers the successful resolution of the Oedipus complex to be developmentally desirable, the key to the development of gender roles and identity. Freud posited that boys and girls resolved the conflicts differently as a result of the male’s castration anxiety (caused by oedipal rivalry with the father) and the female’s penis envy. He also held that the unsuccessful resolution of the Oedipus complex could result in neurosis, paedophilia, and homosexuality.

Wouldn’t this therefore contribute to the “competitive” nature that seems to be apparent in gay circles?

Sorry avb, this post was originally framed in a more direct way then I changed my mind 🙄 as I thought it was too risque 😯 What I meant to ask was could the females penis envy contribute to an obsession with “size” that we often see portayed in gay circles, and especially in gay media?

Sandy

Joined in 2007
April 25, 2009, 12:19

What I meant to ask was could the females penis envy contribute to an obsession with “size” that we often see portayed in gay circles, and especially in gay media?

Please forgive my ignorance of what “gay circles” and “gay media” are generally like but I’d like to respond to this anyway.

Freud suggests that small boys (between three and five) have a disjointed relationship with the father because of what Freud terms castration anxiety but is probably better termsed emasculation. (It might just be me but castration anxiety always conjures imagines of a scary dude with a knife chopping off important anatomy). The young boys wants the relationship with his mother that the father has and expereinces jealousy and anxiety.

The girl on the other hand relates to the father from a position of reverance because he has something she wants (and the scary dude hasn’t yet cut off) the mother is seen as “less than” the father. Does that make sense? It needs to be pointed out that this phenomenona is very different for boys and girls.

In terms of it leading to homosexuality the general maxim goes that men are attracted to men because they do not have to then fear constant emasculation and rivalry against women. With a man they are more emotionally secure and safer. For women its, I guess, about being able to play out the role of the “butch” and finally, metaphorically, get that penis.

In terms of the size debate in gay circles you could be right mobile guy but looking at it from the little boys perspective a larger size might suggest you are more masculine than others which soothes the unresolved anxiety that you constantly have to compete with others.

If your interested there is plenty on the net about all of this. Freud’s theories are almost never taken at face value in psychology circles and are added upon and revised by more contemporary professionals as new information comes to light. Perhaps looking at what people have to say about the Oedipus complex today will help shed some more practical light on the issue because while I know little about gay men I have a hard time believing the Oedipus complex applies to them in this way; it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 25, 2009, 12:50

It might just be me but castration anxiety always conjures imagines of a scary dude with a knife chopping off important anatomy.

😆 😆 😆

In terms of the size debate in gay circles you could be right mobile guy but looking at it from the little boys perspective a larger size might suggest you are more masculine than others which soothes the unresolved anxiety that you constantly have to compete with others.

Thanks Sandy I think that explains it pretty well 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 25, 2009, 13:59

I think I’m glad that most psychology has moved on from Freud 😆 😆 😆

in some ways he was a pretty messed up dude….with a vivid imagination

Sandy

Joined in 2007
April 25, 2009, 20:38

Personally I get worried when a whole psychological theory revolves around a penis… I mean, seriously? 😆 😆 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 26, 2009, 13:41

do you think freud had issues.. 🙄

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 26, 2009, 14:44

do you think freud had issues.. 🙄

Dunno … but me thinks we should be avoiding the topic of a certain anatomy part for now, as Google crawles this site … if you know what I mean 😉

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.