Forums

Coming Out to Christian Parents

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Penny

Joined in 2008
June 30, 2008, 10:05

Hey Ben,

after meeting you on Saturday, i am in awe of your integrity and commitment to live an authentic life before God and the people in your life.

Hope it all goes well…

Praying God’s peace invades your heart in the midst of the chaos.

Pen 🙂

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
July 4, 2008, 13:29

OK…

So last night I came out to my parents. I could have never expected the response I got from them.

I was expecting the worst. I honestly thought my parents would be so upset, angry, dissapointed and confused. I believed that my parents would not accept me and thought that they may have even thrown me out of home.

I could not have been so wrong….

I got home from the city after leaving them my letter. I struggled to make it from the car in the driveway to the front door of the house. I was so nervous and scared of what could happen.

Finally I made it inside only to be greeted by my Mum at first who looked a little shocked but she hugged me and told me that she loves me very much. She told me that she understands and accepts me for who I am and the only thing that matters to her is if I am happy and I love God. She told me that she was upset that I went through the ex-gay programs and wished that I told her earlier. But overall she was so great. My mum really showed me the love of Christ. An unconditional love that looks past circumstance and covers you with grace and acceptance.

My Dad, I was even more surprised with……He seemed to be really proud of me and told me that this doesn’t change who I am and the love he has for me. He apologised for all of the homophobic comments and judgements in the past and told me that If I am gay then maybe he has been much too quick to judge GLBT people in the past. He was honestly proud of me. I think it meant a lot to him that I was loving God despite all of my past hardships. Me and my Dad have never really been close but now I think that will change. Last night me and my Dad really bonded like never before. My Dad even told me that he knew a few nights ago that I was gay. He said that “It’s almost like God told me…Ben is still your son. You should love and accept him for who he is”.

Once again I am so humbled by God’s power, grace and mercy. Prayer and love had so much to do with the fact that this turned out so well. I think in so many ways that I underestimated my parent’s love for me. The fact that I was happy and loved God was all that matters. It was amazing.

REALLY HAPPY NOW!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

Thank you Freedom 2 b[e] and all you beautiful and wonderful people. Without you and all your help and support this could’ve turned out badly. But instead I got the best outcome I could have ever hoped for. I am now living an true and authentic life before God and others and I am happy in myself.

Sure times ahead will be hard but God is always walking with me. He will never let me go. 😀

frogger

Joined in 2005
July 4, 2008, 14:13

dude…… WOW!!!! You are so blessed, so bloody lucky…

You parents must really respect who you are. You should be proud…

iain

Joined in 2006
July 4, 2008, 16:43

Congratulations Ben!

I am so happy for you and proud of you taking this important (first of many!!) steps! Well done!

Now you can talk to your parents about the most deep or trivial of things and, you know what, …there’s NO FEAR. It’s gone.

No fear …of rejection.

No fear …of the unknown.

No fear …of the ‘what if’?

As Bishop Spong says …walk in the victory!

iain 🙂

ps …or as some of us like to do …dance in the victory! lol!

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

orfeo

Joined in 2007
July 4, 2008, 17:36

BENNY!!

Mate, you just made my day. That is SO wonderful. Especially your Dad apologising for comments he’s made.

See, they know YOU as a person, not as some abstract gay stereotype.

And they love YOU.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 4, 2008, 19:14

That is just AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooo happy for you Ben 😀 God has big plans for you dude 😉 You have so ministered already……….Thankyou 😀

cow shoes

Joined in 2007
July 5, 2008, 12:00

Hey Ben, fantastic!!! How wonderful to read your post and to hear how well it went for you and your parents. It brought tears to my eyes. We all desire to be our authentic selves and for those we love to know who we really are. Thankfully your parents reaction was so immediately loving and accepting.

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
July 5, 2008, 18:49

😀 😆 🙂 😀 Your letter had such a wow factor that it blew me away. And now the response from you mum and dad… it didn’t blow me away… it knocked me over! Fantastic. Sigh… our God is an Awesome God. I’ve got tears – tears of joy. I think all of us were shaking for you and that lead us individually to keep you in our thoughts constantly and pleading for the best outcome. What an outcome was that… that totally means that God is alive and kicking! 😆

Am just so awed at the fact that things surpasses our understanding and there was God waiting for you to come through the front door 🙂 … you are home now and that’s your place. Before you didn’t feel you belonged… that’s real confirmation that you belong without any conditions.

Fabulous! I am just so relieved and so excited for you! 😆 This has put a smile on my face for the days, weeks and months ahead of me. Thanks for being a light and joy to all of us… I’m just so thrilled that you were able to share this with us. Such a positive outcome.

Love and hugs! 😉

Craig.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 5, 2008, 19:35

ditto to all the words above Ben……and thanks for making half the group cry at our F2B meeting on Friday night while you shared your story 😀

I can see you being a wonderful little ambassador for other gay guys and young lesbians at Hillsong…….and of course your wonderful parents who have modeled for others the perfect response when thier children pluck up the courage to come out to them.

these are the things I’ve dreamed of since starting F2B three years ago.

your courage and the outcome of your coming out has inspired more people than you will ever know.

you rock!

Andrew Jones

Joined in 2008
July 9, 2008, 11:41

Go Benny!

Awesome result … you must have some amazing parents.

😀 😀 😀

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.119 seconds.