Forums

Finally Free @ 30yo... My Journey from Church Masks to Truth

Page:   1 2

JinPerth

Joined in 2011
July 8, 2011, 02:15

So… this is my story. I am a 30 year old gay guy. Ex-pastor with a Pentecostal Church, and have recently been on a journey of painful honesty. It’s strange (and slightly surreal) that I am in a place that I can even type that declaration!

I first tried to come out at 15 to my parents (spurred on from a teenage relationship at the time). It didn’t go very well – my parents pressured me to retract my confession of sexuality, and in time I did. The shame of it all made me very quick to try to please my parents, and so I threw myself into a new Church shortly after. I became involved in youth and music, and built friendships. I still messed around with guys, stricken with fear about anyone ever finding out. And the guilt causing a stunted relationship with God (not that I ever let on to anyone around me).

During Uni, I took a break from Church, and the positions of leadership that I had stepped into, citing ‘burnout’. I still went along to Church (largely to reassure my parents that I wasn’t off the rails) but my relationship with God was pretty dry. I continued to mess around with guys, but never reconsidered coming out.

I accepted my first professional job away from home and with it threw myself back into Church (partly from a desire to rekindle a relationship, partly as a convenient social network in a new place). I quickly got invited to be involved in youth and music leadership, and in time joined the eldership team too. I genuinely struggled with my sexuality through this time, praying and desperately trying to retrain my brain. But my same sex attraction was constantly lurking at the edges. I hate to admit that despite my positions of leadership and my deep involvement with Church and God, there were plenty of ‘slip ups’ followed by guilt and a renewed commitment to try harder. My parents checked in regularly to see how I was going with the ‘fight’ and not wanting to discuss it at all, I was very dismissive and assured them it was no longer an issue.

As I continued my ‘rise’ in leadership, I was ordained as a Pastor and began to work full time for the Church. But the bottling in of my attractions and a deep sense of dishonesty were rotting me to my core. I was constantly wearing a mask – one that people in Church, and especially those in Leadership are often quick to take up to show strength, worthiness and some level of ‘having it all together’. I tried desperately to find a girl who I might be able to love and settle down with, hoping that the right one might assist in the conversion process. But I couldn’t seem to find the right one!

Early in 2011, after a series of sermons about living in truth, I came to a place where I decided I needed to tell a close female friend what I was struggling with in order to ‘get it out in the light’. In turn, I told my parents who were not necessarily shocked but still surprised. I started counselling (well removed from my particular circles) and quickly realised that there was only one outcome that I would be happy with. I was not prepared to ‘fight’ it any more, and knew that renewed attempts to convert would only delay the inevitable and cause me more grief.

And so I decided that I needed to relocate to a new place and create some space for me to walk through my own personal journey of truth – away from the pressure of Church scrutiny and familiarity. I resigned from my position and pastoral accreditation with the Church (knowing my denomination’s stance on the topic), telling my Senior Pastors (who were now close friends) my reasons for leaving. I had to go through some agonising confessions with Church leadership, close friends and family. But in hindsight, there is a strange liberty that comes with humiliating honesty.

Now, the people who matter most to me know the score. Not everyone has responded well, but I am at peace with that. If some friendships fall away as a result of this new life direction, I can cope with that. Because I know that this decision to come out will give me a chance at peace and happiness.

I hope in time that I will find a partner and have a fulfilling relationship. It will take some adjustment with family and friends, but I will deal with that challenge when the time comes. But I am excited by the prospect of this new chapter of my life, and feel like a weight has been lifted. No masks, just honesty.

There is still a journey of healing ahead. My (possibly warped, but traditional) theological view on homosexuality hasn’t changed just because I struggle with it, and so I have an awkward relationship with God (like a naughty child who is guilty and a little aloof because of it) – even moreso with the ‘Church’ because it unfortunately doesn’t deal well with this type of issue.

But I am absolutely confident that His Grace is sufficient. And that He still desires an intimate and personal relationship with me no matter what decisions I make. And that in time I will be able to somehow reconcile it all and accept His unconditional, rock-solid love for me. His love that NEVER fails.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 8, 2011, 13:28

Hi JinPerth

Thanks so much for sharing your story. 🙂 Congratulations too on making the great leap toward being true to yourself. That would have taken a huge amount of courage and I can understand also the sense of relief in not having to hide anymore.

By the way, how did you hear of us?

I second forestgrey’s sentiments. Further to that, I found that carrying out my own search for biblical truth was very helpful in enabling me to come to peace with being bisexual. From past experiences, the biblical translations and interpretations that were available in church circles were far from being a true reflection of original biblical language and context. In contrast, some of the articles in our resources section are very good for giving a more objective and balanced view.

Welcome to f2b! I hope you enjoy the support and sense of community that many others have found here.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

mrg

Joined in 2010
July 8, 2011, 18:45

By the way, there are many ex-pastors and lay leaders amongst the Freedom2b family.

And a few that still are pastors… 🙂

Welcome JInPerth. Glad you found us, and thanks for sharing your journey so far!

JinPerth

Joined in 2011
July 8, 2011, 19:58

Thanks for the encouragement crew. I will definitely look through the resource section and soak up some collective wisdom!

I am particularly interested to chat about how others have gone maintaining a role/relationship with Church since they’ve come out. Are they ‘tolerated’, ‘affirmed’ or somewhere in between.

Ann Maree – I actually stumbled across this site while trying to look for a ‘gay friendly’ church in Perth. Disappointed that there isn’t an active Perth Chapter just yet, but hopefully that will change down the track!

Very pleased to have joined this little community. Thanks again!

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
July 8, 2011, 20:51

Hi JinPerth,

So  pleased you have found F2B, as the saying goes as one door closes another door opens, I believe finding F2B is a door opening for you it is a place of love support and acceptance. I think you will find a lot of other stories on the forum that have some similar accepts to your story, particularly working out your faith and sexuality. This was something my own son also had to work out, he did quite a bit of personally study on the issue, as his parents we have learnt so much from his personal journey, he is a testament that you can be Gay and a Christian. 

I pray this is the start of a really good chapter in your life.

God bless

JinPerth

Joined in 2011
July 8, 2011, 21:43

Hi Mother Hen,

Thanks for your comments. Can I say that coming from a situation where my own parents haven’t been very accepting, it is really lovely to see the supporting and affirming approach you have taken with your son!

Looking forward to hearing more of your story!

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 8, 2011, 23:27

JinPerth – G’day again. I understand that there is at least one gay-friendly church in Perth – but from the more liberal end of the theological spectrum. Which someone from your background (and mine) can’t easily relate to.

There are a number of people on this Forum from the Perth area. And I know Perth is definitely in our sights for another Chapter – as soon as resources and circumstances allow. So, hang in there.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 8, 2011, 23:28

JinPerth – Welcome. So good to have you joining us on ‘the journey’. The journey of coming to terms with who we are and growing in understanding of our sexuality and our faith. There are so many of us who have discovered that the old beliefs (about sexuality) held by much of the church don’t stand up to detailed scrutiny. As you delve back into some of the past postings from others and follow the Resources links, I trust that you will find reassurance and peace.

By the way, there are many ex-pastors and lay leaders amongst the Freedom2b family.

JinPerth

Joined in 2011
July 9, 2011, 00:38

Thanks forestgrey… Will keep my my eyes open on both counts!

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
July 9, 2011, 17:11

Hi JinPerth

I, like Mother Hen, love, support and accept my beautiful son also as she does her son. My son is gay, a Christian, a former pastor of a church he planted at 20 and he runs a home group in Sydney (he’s now only 22).

Welcome to F2b(2). You have found a very supportive and loving “family” here. My stories are also on the forum from a parent perspective.

My son is a very different person since he told his father and I a bit over a year ago, as he has reconciled his faith and sexuality and is so comfortable with who he is now.

His story is very similar to yours but at a younger age.

Bless You

Helen xx

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.122 seconds.