Gay Identity What is it? Do I need it?

Page:   1 2 3 4

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
September 28, 2009, 20:16

Gay Identity

· What is it?

· Is it important to you to adopt a gay identity?

· Do I want or need to be defined by my sexual orientation?

· How relevant is it to have a gay identity?

· Is it the final step to true self acceptance?

· Is there such a thing as the velvet closet?

· What are the outcomes of adopting a gay identity?

Share your thoughts and insights.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 30, 2009, 14:55

do you know anyone you can invite to this……or can you put the link to this page on your facebook wall?

brandy

Joined in 2009
October 2, 2009, 11:49

do you know anyone you can invite to this……or can you put the link to this page on your facebook wall?

Hi Anthony,

the link is on my Facebook c/o yourself.

I am wondering whether any of the discussion will be posted because the questions are very meaty.

This old fogey is going to the Italian Film Fest in Paddington with a gay friend of mine so though in the area cannot attend.

BTW are oddies welcome – for future referrence

Andy ❓

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 2, 2009, 12:40

thanks Andy….I always encourage people to continue the discussion on here afterwards…..but doesn’t usually happen…….we will see how it goes.

brandy

Joined in 2009
October 2, 2009, 12:46

thanks Andy….I always encourage people to continue the discussion on here afterwards…..but doesn’t usually happen…….we will see how it goes.

we live in hope

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1024/1485248039_fcd5a27d07.jpg

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 2, 2009, 13:04

NICE PIC

frogger

Joined in 2005
October 4, 2009, 12:25

What is it?

· Is it important to you to adopt a gay identity? NO, but it may help in your coming out process and it may change. Its common to say you are bisexual before settling on being gay

· Do I want or need to be defined by my sexual orientation? no

· How relevant is it to have a gay identity? its only relevant in overcoming homophobia. When ppl realise how normal and uninteresting we are, that label no longer has “fire”

· Is it the final step to true self acceptance? no

· Is there such a thing as the velvet closet? huh???

· What are the outcomes of adopting a gay identity? There are many. Rejection, stigma, acceptance of self and by others, being free to be yourself

IanJ

Joined in 2009
October 4, 2009, 12:43

We discussed this on Friday night. In the group I was in the tenor of the discussion was that we need to be true to ourselves- we need to acknowledge who we are. But as for what we choose to reveal to others that’s a completely different thing.

I don’t necessarily choose to reveal my interests, thoughts, political views etc. in many of the groups I move in. In my workplace, for example, it would be seen as totally exhibitionist to discuss any of these topics at length.

I would prefer to be known ‘by the content of my character’ than the ‘colour of my skin’ to paraphrase Dr Martin Luther King.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 4, 2009, 14:40

In the group that I was in, the concept of “blending” was introduced, which means that you blend in various facets of your life experiences to establish your identity – one of which could be your sexual orientation but for some by no means the most important …

We also discussed labels and images that are commonly used to describe GLBT people – both by us and others but essentially our identity (gay or otherwise) is a complex thing that shouldn’t be defined by overly simplistic labels and stereotypes …

superbbluewren

Joined in 2005
October 4, 2009, 15:50

The concept of ‘blending’ is a useful one.

Our sexual orientation is only part of who we are. However, I suggest that there is more to our sexual orientation than who we are attracted to. My sexual orientation is not the only thing that defines who I am but it is a part of every part of me and influences every part of me.

It is not something that I wheel out only in particular circumstances or environments.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.054 seconds.