Forums

Gay Teacher coming out to himself and family

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
November 7, 2008, 20:48

Sandy, thanks so much for taking the time to write an extensive and thoughtful reply. It shows that you experienced a large range of emotions …….the same that are being felt in my household… anger being quite paramount. 🙁

I’m sad he spent so much time pretending and has lived most of his life the person he thought he should be instead of the person he really is. Merely surviving instead of truely living.

This is an insightful comment. Yes, I say to myself “How did I get here?” Living the life that is expected. You used the word “pretending” but the way I look at myself it is slightly different than that. In my case I refused to acknowledge in my mind that I was gay. (Silly, b/c In reality it was fricken obvious!) It isn’t as if every day would wake and think I had to pretend… the thoughts and feeling were largely repressed. If they were not…. I knew the repercussions would be high. Of course snippets would surface or I would be aware of certain behaviours, emotions & thoughts but mostly I would not let them congregate to form a conclusion. The best way to describe this is using the analogy of a jigsaw. All the pieces were there but I would not let them connect to form a picture. Now and again I might take a glance or put some together but I would stay busy keeping the pieces moving.

Weird I know and in retrospect a silly thing to do.

As for the obligation thing… I hope to put myself in a position that I can commit to my obligations with increased vigour. By keeping the jigsaw pieces apart I was running out of energy to spend with my kids and interact with my wife in a meaningful way and ‘something’ was getting in the way. For a long time, I honestly did not know what that ‘something’ was. Even now, I do not think I understand, to the full extent, how my sexuality affected how I communicated and interacted with my wife.

Yes, I agree with you that we are not the sum of the choices we make but in a manner those choices do define who we are. I hope to find a spot where I am confident that acknowledging my sexuality was a positive decision to make. In time. At the moment it is like swimming in an ocean…’drowning not waving’. LOL

You have typed how you think your father was brave… I suggest that you should show him this posting!! 😉

Thank you for your thoughts. It has given me a positive opportunity to reflect on my situation.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 8, 2008, 00:52

Yes, I agree with you that we are not the sum of the choices we make but in a manner those choices do define who we are. I hope to find a spot where I am confident that acknowledging my sexuality was a positive decision to make. In time. At the moment it is like swimming in an ocean…’drowning not waving’. LOL

You have typed how you think your father was brave… I suggest that you should show him this posting!! 😉

I for one can empathize with such feelings, wondering whether or not acknowledging your orientation is a good thing. I grew up (and still am) in a conservative Christian home. Being gay is bad. Very, very bad. So as a young kid (not too long ago) I knew I was attracted to guys. I knew it in my head. But I didn’t want to think I was gay. It’s the whole coming out to yourself thing.

An anology would be like this. Imagine you work in an orchard where every crate is full of apples. Then one day, you find a crate full of oranges. You say to yourself, this isn’t full of oranges. This is an apple orchard, there can’t possibly be oranges here. That’s just wrong. And so you take it upon yourself to explain how the oranges are, in fact, not there – they are, rather, a figment of your imagination. Or perhaps, it is actually a crate of apples after all. It is a crate of apples that simply, on occasion, can make itself appear to look like a crate of oranges. Deep down, they are really apples, you are sure of it. Very orange and round apples, but apples nonetheless. You think all these things despite the fact that said ‘imaginary’ oranges are currently staring you right in the face. It takes you a long time to accept, but over time, you finally stop your wild imagining and slowly, very slowly accept the idea that maybe there is a crate full of oranges at the apple orchard. Maybe. Your certainty grows – certainity? No, not certainty. You knew the facts the whole time. It’s only know that you recognize them for what they are. You begin to recognize that the crate of oranges is in fact, a crate of oranges. There is a crate of oranges at the apple orchard. Not a wild imagination or a crate of apples with obscure mystical properties. It is, in fact, a true blue, honest-to-goodness crate of oranges. Recognizing the truth with no denial, excuses, or explanations. That is what it means to come out to yourself.

We wonder if that is the right decision. Kind of an odd question. I can look in the mirror and see I have black hair. I don’t have to wonder, am I making the right decision by describing myself as a black haired person? No, I would not wonder whether or not that is a good decision to make. I know I am black haired, therefore, I should describe myself as a black haired person. Equally, I know that to describe myself as something else, say a blonde haired person, would be lying. So if we think that, why do we sudenly have a problem when it comes to our orientation? The answer is shame. We have heard the stories. Gays are presented to us over and over again as immoral, horrible people. We don’t want to be immoral, horrible people. We also don’t want to be rejected. Unfortunately, much of society has believed the horrible lie that sexual orientation is tied to morality. It’s not. Not in any way, size, shape, or form. You can be a gay saint or a straight sinner. Unfortunately, many people, including those who are gay themselves and struggling to accept themselves, have failed to understand that fact.

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to write too much. Just know that you are not alone in feeling as you do and you are not the only one who has walked down this path. Again, we are here to encourage you. Much love. 🙂

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 8, 2008, 07:12

Great analogy, I like your insights and so good to see it at work in you as a young man.

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
November 8, 2008, 12:13

It takes you a long time to accept, but over time, you finally stop your wild imagining and slowly, very slowly accept the idea……

The apple orchard analogy written by gettingthere is very apt AND humourous. You feel like saying “Can’t you see that are they not bloody apples! Accept the truth” But..we know it is not that simple. I find it very difficult to get people to understand that I repressed my thoughts & emotions. Sheesh… I find it difficult to rationalise it to myself now that the lid is off! 🙄

Not sure why it takes so long…. for me 20+ years! Silly me 😆

Actually, I do know why. As gettingthere wrote… fear of rejection. Not wanting to be ‘different’. Also, in my case, not identifying with any ‘gay’ people. I grew up in rural Victoria and did not know one gay person. My world was totally heterosexual and all I knew was stereotypes. Back in the 80s these stereotypes were not at all positive. “The Grim Reaper” springs to mind. See this youtube clip: –

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=U219eUIZ7Qo

But despite all these societal and family pressures not to accept who I was, in the end I had to embrace the reality. The alternative was not liking who I was.

Recognizing the truth with no denial, excuses, or explanations.

A Succinct idea!!. I will write this down…. to help me survive the storm.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and reflections. “Gettingthere” I can tell that you are a thoughtful and good person!

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 8, 2008, 13:43

Also, in my case, not identifying with any ‘gay’ people. I grew up in rural Victoria and did not know one gay person

I find this so interesting. I came out to everybody who would listen at 16 and I simply judged it on the idea that I wanted to sleep with and spend my life with a woman insted of a man. I was too young and too ignorant to know anything about lesbian sterotypes. I wasn’t masculine, I liked dresses and the thought of cutting my hair short still makes me clutch at it in panic. I think its good to ask yourself every once in a while what it is that defines homosexuality. I mean we use words like “gay” and really I think words like that encompass more than words like homosexuality because they pertain to a culture, an understanding, a lifestyle and a set of expectations. To be homosexual is to be attracted to a members of the same sex physically and emotionally at the exclusion of members of the oppisite sex is it not? To be gay is up for interpretation and everyone feels differently about what it means to be gay and what it doesnt (or shouldn’t) mean.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 8, 2008, 13:59

that analogy of the box of oranges in an apple orchard…..do you come up with that gettingthere

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
November 8, 2008, 14:58

I think its good to ask yourself every once in a while what it is that defines homosexuality.

Aha! I struggle with the word gay. As a young lad it DID carry predominantly negative connotations so I probably found it easy not to label myself ‘gay’ because I did not identify with those stereotypes of lifestyles, behaviours etc. I think (looking back) that i knew I had the ability to connect emotionally but was scared of that trait because it meant I was homosexual, insert there ‘gay’… and that was not a good thing to be.

Sandy, you wrote: –

To be homosexual is to be attracted to a members of the same sex physically and emotionally at the exclusion of members of the oppisite sex is it not?

I have an idea that I read somewhere: “Being gay is not a choice is it a revelation” (there’s that word ‘gay’ again). Sandy, to discover that I was homosexual was a revelation. I had to remove many, many layers of ‘stuff’ to realise this. The last layer to peel off, very, very recently exposed the emotional want that I had. I was not ready for this and it unsettled me greatly but finally prevented me from denying my sexuality. Look, I think that I have only just realised even what the word sexuality means. Too many thoughts!!!!

Sheeesh, this makes me sound like an inhibited middle aged recluse! 😕

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 8, 2008, 15:31

Sheeesh, this makes me sound like an inhibited middle aged recluse!

If it makes you feel any better my dad was well over 50 by the time he came out! 😆 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 8, 2008, 15:43

Sandy, you wrote: –

To be homosexual is to be attracted to a members of the same sex physically and emotionally at the exclusion of members of the oppisite sex is it not?

really good description Sandy…..i ignored the spelling mistake…..:lol: 😆 😈

“Being gay is not a choice is it a revelation” (there’s that word ‘gay’ again).

Fantastic quote….I’m going to use that one.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 8, 2008, 16:28

really good description Sandy…..i ignored the spelling mistake

Oh shut up would you?! 😆 😆 😆

I can’t spell, I’ve never been able too. I read and read and read and you would think I could spell but I can’t. I spelled “does”, “dose” up until my HSC when my english teacher told me she would go through all the papers until she found the one that was spelt in this way and take a mark off for every time I did it. 😆 😆 😆 For someone who ended up getting 97.8 in the HSC this was very serious and I had absolutly no sense of humour about it.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.087 seconds.