Forums

Gay Teacher coming out to himself and family

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2010, 11:22

Hi rediscoveringme

Sounds like a good book. Self perceptions are indeed a difficult part of dealing with sexuality, especially when coming from a non accepting church background. How we view ourselves takes years to form, starting in early childhood with how others perceive us and the internalisation of those experiences. My time spent in fundamental churches compared to other denominations has shown me that pentecostal church views (i.e. what makes up the vision, doctrines and practices of the particular congregation and movement) are especially emphasised. This means that for those pentecostal members who are heavily involved in church, their self perceptions are more likely to be influenced by church ideas rather than their own independent thought. They are then perhaps more susceptible to what others say about them, including the negative beliefs about being LGBT. Of course that won’t be everyone’s experience in those kinds of churches but it was mine.

On the positive side, things are improving in society and churches however there are still not the prevalence of LGBT role models shown in the media as there are straight ones. And so this means that it is harder to shape our perceptions, especially if we are isolated or don’t know many LGBT people we can relate to.

Trust takes time to develop and it’s lovely to gradually find that there are those who can be trusted. Being in this state of openness is so much better than being closed off and isolated. I wish you well with this discovery.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

SeekingShalom

Joined in 2010
July 11, 2010, 16:01

Your story is inspiring, rediscoveringme. I agree that changing self-perception is one of the most difficult components of coming out. And I agree with Ann Maree that generally Pentecostals, valuing community as they do, are highly susceptible to try to conform what the church culture says that they should be, do, and think. That has been my particular struggle over the past few weeks since coming out to my parents. It was met initially with love and concern. But since then, the silence has been deafening! It is extremely difficult to keeping the conversation going when I have been programmed to please those closest to me. It is a slow journey.

A book that I have found helpful is: Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians, by Candace Chellow-Hodge.

Blessings to all…

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2010, 16:29

Hi SeekingShalom

Lovely to hear from you again! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Congrats re coming out to the parents recently. Would they benefit from looking at resources to help them understand your perspective more? I’m thinking of the dvd ‘For the bible tells me so’ especially if they are Christians.

I’m glad you’re finding Bulletproof Faith helpful. A couple of others recommended that recently on the site.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2010, 19:30

Hi rediscoveringme

I like what you say about the different parts of us needing time to adjust to the coming out news. The deeper layers of emotions and attitudes often take longer to reach than the cognitive/logical parts. And just as it takes a while for all aspects within to be in positive unity about being gay, so family members need the time to process and integrate the revelation within all parts of themselves.

You’re right too that often we need to hear something again and again to really know the truth deep within our being and not just in our heads.

Hopefully you have found ‘For The Bible Tells Me So’ of benefit both to you and your loved ones.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
July 18, 2010, 23:20

Hi Seeking Shalom,

Thanks for the book recommendation…. have not seen that one before.

I have discovered a necessary part of this journey is the need for continual reflection via reading, discussion, DVD’s etc to try to form a confident self perception in the face of those around us who all also struggle with the idea of GLBT children, siblings or spouses. Imagine what my wife went through (it was not good).

I certainly did not come bouncing out of the closet saying ‘I am gay’….the End, everyone smile, all better

I learnt that cognitively people can be very supportive, perhaps as reflected by your parents. My family did the same thing and congratulated me on my honesty. HOWEVER, those around you, especially family, then go through their own emotional struggle. So, you end up getting conflicting messages from those around you.

Recently I ordered in about 3 copies of “For the bible tells me so” as I felt that a few friends and family needed to hear it’s message. Plus WE need to hear this message over and over as well.

Shalom.

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
July 18, 2010, 23:21

As mentioned earlier I am currently reading “The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg.

Just now, I have read a section on Worldviews, a concept most of us are probably aware of. i.e a community’s way of seeing things. The author makes the statement “our worldview is a mixture of elements internalized from our culture’s worldview”.

Part of the struggle of ‘coming out’ is re-organising and shedding the world-views that we have internalized from our culture; which for the majority on this forum I would assume is a strong church culture and to an extent homophobic.

I love who I am (well, sort of!) but the struggle is to reform a new wordview and I do this by reading, reflecting, mixing with like minded people. This is the advice I give to people on this forum struggling in many different ways…. it takes work and time to readjust yourselves.

Just thinking out loud here!! :bigsmile:

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.129 seconds.