Forums

I decided to act some more

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

J

Joined in 2012
August 31, 2012, 11:07

I have decided to share my testimony in reconciling my sexuality and faith to as many churches as possible of New Zealand, trying to spread the truth from my perspective on what I believe the bible says on homosexuality, and I acknowledged they don't have to agree, rather take a moment to listen and consider the context of the bible and question it to find a deeper faith.

I am also going to write an email and send it to all MP's regarding the same sex marriage bill and share with them my view that Christianity should be transparent and accepting. I am going to provide a few good youtube videos as well, since most of the no votes for Louisa Wall's bill were based on religion. I myself struggled with reconciling my sexuality and faith, so maybe, just maybe, minds will change.

It is like that saying 'it is better to do something than nothing at all'. And while I am here on earth I want to at least make an impact and leave a footprint somewhere, and maybe doing this will achieve just that.

Amount of churches who have received the email: 50

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
August 31, 2012, 11:22

Hey Jordon

Thats Great … Ill be interested to hear on the feedback (if any). Particularly, let us know if you find any accepting and affirming churches.

Good luck

Phill

J

Joined in 2012
August 31, 2012, 11:27

Thanks Phill! Will do ^_^

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 31, 2012, 15:44

I know you'll have a big impact with the message you'll give just from knowing you on these boards. God keep you and use you in a powerful way. ; )

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
August 31, 2012, 16:35

Sounds great, yes will be interesting to see what replies you do get.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 31, 2012, 18:22

Hi Jordan

Good on you! You're really running with this aren't you? Very inspiring to see. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
August 31, 2012, 19:54

Hey everyone 🙂

The first reply back has not been too good, but it certainly will not get me down.

Hi Jordan

Thanks for the mail, I have past of my own and don't think your take on the whole thing is correct.

If you would like to chat further I would be happy to discuss it with you

Hope to hear from you

In Christ

Nick

Judging by the wording where he says 'the whole thing' and believing my take on it is wrong, I don't think he clicked on any of the links provided or read through my email fully, so I think discussing it further with him would have been a losing battle, so I politely declined the offer and said we would have to agree to disagree 🙁 but thanked him for his email and that I respected his opinions and beliefs.

But hey, you win some, you lose some.

I will try to send a total of 100 emails before I get to bed. I have been slacking today!

Edit: Could only get to 50 churches today, I will try to send another 50 tomorrow 😛

J

Joined in 2012
August 31, 2012, 21:17

Hmm he replied back

Ok

The offer stands

I have done some intensive biblical research on the issue and would be happy to discuss any time

With prayer

Do you guys think I should I take on this challenge? Or is it not worth debating over? It sounds as though he is trying to change me through prayer, but I tried that many times (as you guys know from my testimony) and that didn't work (lol) so it could very well be a losing and pointless battle, yet at the same time if I am able to offer some valid evidence I could make him think. Trouble is, I don't know much about the history and places of the bible, and the laws etc. so not sure.

Edit: After talking it over with my mum we agreed that it would be good for me. I have gained a lot of confidence in myself since coming out and I may not know much about the bible in terms of the passages and its history, but there is certainly no harm in talking to someone who is anti-gay. I think this experience will help me grow as a person, because let's face it – there is hate out there in the world, and I have to face it sooner or later, so why not now?

If it's alright with you guys, I will post his views when they are emailed to me and I will try to find as much information on his questions as possible but I may need help.

I think if I can help make one person question the context of the clobber passages and their anti-homosexual views in general, then all this would have been worth it.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
September 1, 2012, 11:44

I wouldn't bother – the people who justified slavery from the bible, The people who burnt people for arguing the earth revolved around the sun ALL did extensive biblical research.

BUT the fruit of their beliefs was bad then – and is bad now

I really like the way Matthew Vimes puts it http://matthewvines.com/

In his epic sermon on the whole subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY&feature=player_embedded

The fruit of the anti gay teachings is BAD. End of story.

BUT all of this information is out there – and anyone who REALLY is interested in the truth can find it….

They can only hold those beliefs by an active will to ignore facts.. and ignore other parts of the bible (like Do not judge others, By their fruit you shall know them, that Rachel and Tamer WERE Righteous EVEN though they both had sex outside marrige, that the SINS of sodom explicitly listed in SEVERAL places as being arrogant and not looking after the poor and needy etc etc ) IF they can ignore all those AND the medical profession – then I think the offer is enough….give them the links -AND something personal – something that shows how an anti gay stance damages lives – and i reckon (personally) thats the seed.

Offer to answer his questions but thats as far as I would go (HOWEVER Ive tried many times and often you need bang your head against the wall yourself – I did – many times 🙂 !)

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 1, 2012, 11:55

You are preaching to the converted Shadow Boxer 🙂 But you are right I agree I don't think anything will be gained by going head to head on scripture with him. Whether we agree or disagree with his intensive bible study on the issue, the point is he has looked into it and is unlikely to change his beliefs based on further discussion with Jordan. I would imagine in his position his objective would be to try and change your mind Jordan. So my suggestion is to just move on from him. I think the way you responded to his first first reply was great so just leave it go at that, no need to respond any further, you have both made your positions clear.

God Bless

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.