Forums

I decided to act some more

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 4, 2012, 21:45

Good for you, Jordan. Not only did you make that lady's day, and in such a timely way too, but you never know how many more students and others will benefit because of your words to that teacher. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
October 4, 2012, 23:29

Thanks Ann!

Heh, afterwards my mum said she was very proud of me for saying what I did. I think I have changed quite a lot ever since both coming out to my parents and being water baptised, in fact if someone were to say I would of had the confidence to even speak to ANYONE I knew 4-6 years ago, I would say they must have the wrong person.

The other day I was watching this dvd called 'Waiting for superman', which is an amazing documentary about schools in America. It talks about many bad teachers who are making future generations of children dumber by refusing to teach with some stupid law in place which, after 2 years, secures their jobs, and therefore becomes very hard to/cannot (I forget which one) be fired, and the students resort to crime and other bad things because they aren't taught properly. Below's the trailer for it if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg

I am very grateful that this teacher was NOT one of the many bad teachers at my school (I had some teachers telling me I would never amount to anything, that I'd never be the next Jamie Oliver – you name it, there are some really cruel teachers out there).

So to then hear about the sermon and the power of the tongue, and then see the best teacher I ever had today, well, it was sort of like a 'I must tell her this' sort of moment, because I don't know when I'll ever see her again, and I felt I had to tell her because life is too short to not say good things that you want to tell people, but are too afraid of doing for whatever reason (learnt that lesson when I procrastinated about phoning my brother's friend, Tim, to thank him for a pokemon toy he gave me when I was 10 or 12, as he knew I was feeling down at school, then he died the next day and I never got to thank him, but I can't live my life in regret, and the game that I was playing instead of phoning him quite literally saved my life, so I can't think too much about the what if's).

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
October 5, 2012, 09:20

I have just read this whole thread for the first time.

Jordan you are an amazing young man and so much going for you. You are mature beyond your years.

I think you are such a gifted writer, I just couldn't stop reading once I got started. Well done you! Such an inspiration. Keep it up!

J

Joined in 2012
October 5, 2012, 09:26

Aww thanks so much Sophia! <3333

steveo

Joined in 2010
October 8, 2012, 05:57

Hi Jordan

Never under estimate the power of a person sitting in front of them telling their story in humility and love. All they're had until now is an out dated theological idea. Yes they might think they can 'pray the gay away' … but equally you might be able plant the seed that challenges their heart to read the bible again with open eyes … as many of us have painfully had to do.

As a Kiwi I think its great what you'vre doing. I never had the courage to confront my then penticostal pastor who on a number of occasions slammed gays from the pulpit… who slowly killed me inside. Your letter to him is from me and so many others who wished we could have.

Steve

J

Joined in 2012
October 8, 2012, 09:14

Thanks Steve!

When I wrote the email to the 50 churches of New Zealand I had this mindset that they would all immediately understand where I'm coming from – and in hindsight I was ignorant of the fact that I simply could not change people's minds about homosexuality overnight, especially churches. Like you say though, hopefully it has planted a seed so much so that they re-read their bibles to find the truth in the full context, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see churches change in time!

Thanks again for your reply 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
October 16, 2012, 18:57

Hey guys, thought I'd let you know what I've been doing lately.

Whilst doing a bit of reading (The Hobbit ftw) and looking on YouTube for inspirational trailer-like music for my books and such, I decided after hearing about Tom Bridegroom and the tragedy that happened a while back, I thought I would take a bit of action and send a message to some of the big cheeses out there which have money and can get things done, so hopefully it can spread awareness of the effect of homophobia and how we can change that. If you haven't heard of the 'It Could Happen To You' story, you can find out what happened below. It's truly tragic and reminds us all how precious life is and that life and death is in the tongue, and that words DO hurt (in fact in most cases, more so than physical pain).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9gyloyOjM

On YouTube, I have currently sent a message to OWN (Oprah), TrevorProjectMedia, and Warner Brothers (As it would be great if the story was turned into a movie with big pockets rather than the limited funding it currently has which is something like $384,000 – and the more money that's pumped into the Bridegroom film, the better the quality of actors etc. and amount of places around the world it can reach).

I'm so glad F2B Perth is going well too. I hope one day F2B becomes a global LGBTIQ support network. Heck, If I ever become a millionaire (small chance but hey, a guy can dream!) I would love to help out financially, but until then, I can only send emails and spread the word. You guys will be first on my list of foundations I'd love to support if I do make it big though. Keep up the awesome work you guys. Love you all.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
October 17, 2012, 11:57

Such stories are unfortunately not uncommon when death separates Same sex partners. I came across a similar story here in australia only a few months ago. A friend of mine's partner died after a long term illness. Despite having cared for his partner for over a decade through debilitating illness – he and the guys friends were excluded from the funeral. The relatives cleared out the apartment – thowing out things that belonged to others (and had been told that) with no care or respect to those others.

In this case a group crashed the fineral (after they were told they werent welcome) and they spoke publicly about the evil treatment of the deceased and them by the family.

Still the hurt remains. What should have been a time of closure just opened horrible wounds which will never heal.

Its one of MAY reasons why marriage is needed.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.