Forums

I think I am done.

Page:   1 2

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
March 16, 2011, 00:33

After my most recent experience with trying to connect yet again, to a Christian church, which ended… well… not so greatly, I think I am done with trying to go back to Christianity as a spiritual path. I read a blog post recently in which, the author of the post asked: “Why are you so desperate to belong to a group of people who don’t want you? Why do you keep trying to press in amongst a bunch of folks who insist on closing you out? Do you really need to expose yourself to that kind of rejection again and again?”

I had to admit, after thinking about it, that the poster was correct. Why do I have this desperate need to fit in with a group of people with whom I have little in common these days?

I can’t help but think that my desire to be a part of that scene again was akin to the Israelits who “harked back to Egypt” after the exodus, only thinking about the food, and the shelter, whilst forgetting that they were slaves in that country.

I was thinking about the fellowship and the friends I used to have at church, and forgetting that in order to fit into that ‘niche’ I had to make myself a slave to oppression, magical thinking and denial. Why would I go back to that, now that I have tasted freedom?

Galations chapter 3 comes to mind…. I was allowing myself to be bewitched into thinking that things could be okay ‘back there’ (back under those old laws/rules) when in reality, they never can be. At least not until things radically change in the church. By the time that happens, it will probably be too late for me. I think it is too late already.

I don’t mean to say by any of this that every person in the churches I have tried to fit into has rejected me. That would simply be untrue. I have met some wonderful people whom I consider to be my friends, but the sideways glances, the little ‘comments’ the barbs, carefully hidden inside platitudes have been too many to continue to ignore. I need to separate myself from that kind of hurtful atmosphere and find my path elsewhere.

I believe that I am free to believe. Whether I attend a church or not is not the issue. The issue is whether I continue to grow and blossom into the freedom in which I have been made free, and not allow myself to come back under that old yoke of bondage.

Yes. I think I am done, and I feel so free!

Love and Light,

Boi70

Joined in 2007
March 16, 2011, 07:26

Hi Meg,

I know exactly how you feel. I got to that point a few years back. I so understand where you are coming from, especially in your closing words…

“I believe that I am free to believe. Whether I attend a church or not is not the issue. The issue is whether I continue to grow and blossom into the freedom in which I have been made free, and not allow myself to come back under that old yoke of bondage”.

It is such a difficult point to get to – but then, it is definitely, quite a relief. Unfortunately, it is really like ending a relationship. You know it needed to happen, and then once it is finally done and dusted, you wonder why you hadn’t ended it before now. 🙂 😉

Regards,

ammi

Joined in 2011
March 16, 2011, 08:25

Hey, Meg…

With the attitude of your pastor towards same sex relationships… it is little wonder you have come to this decision. I am really pleased to read that you feel free to be free now… and I wish you encouragement, light and love on your ongoing journey of discovery. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey with us.

Spirit and Love are with you always… and I know you will find like minded people, with whom you can connect… would guess you have some of them already.

For all of us… the depthing continues… as we open ourselves up to it..

Take care today… and wishing you balm for the wounds that have come from those unloving and ignorant people who have hurt you….

Hugs

ammi

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
March 16, 2011, 09:49

Thanks, Jason and Ammi.

It feels good to reach this point, which means I must be ready. Every other time I tried to make this decision it made me feel sad and afraid, but this time, it just makes me feel free. So it’s a good thing, I think. 🙂

ammi, the most recent pastor I was assosiated with, really, really tried to be accepting, and I have to give him kudos for that, but he’s just not quite there, yet. I’m still praying for him, because I believe he’s close. The one who had the ‘stinky’ attitude was the one before that and I just feel a bit sorry for him. He also needs our prayers and forgiveness. I think he believes, sincerely that he’s doing the right thing.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement and love. They’re very appreciated 🙂

Love and Light

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 16, 2011, 10:47

Hi Meg

From past discussions, I know that you gave things a really good go… I also appreciate how much courage it took to do so. The communications between you and the most recent pastor seemed hopeful for a while despite the differing opinions between you. I really liked the respectful way you came alongside him. So I don’t think there’s anything else you could have done.. And maybe reflecting on that is useful, or maybe not..

Getting to the point of being sure of your faith and truly standing on your own two feet takes a while doesn’t it? And from my own experience, there are no short cuts. I see it as a ‘dark night of the soul’ experience that is an exquisitely painful and yet beautiful part of the maturing process.

You’re doing really well and are a true inspiration. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 16, 2011, 10:58

Hi ammi

For all of us… the depthing continues… as we open ourselves up to it..

That’s a really lovely way of putting things. 🙂 No matter who we are and what our beliefs, we have free choice and the opportunity to become more fully ourselves.

Take care today… and wishing you balm for the wounds that have come from those unloving and ignorant people who have hurt you….

That sounds very soothing, ammi. I wish someone had said that to me some time ago. Nevertheless I’ll apply the healing therein to myself as well. Thank you!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
March 16, 2011, 11:19

Thanks, Ann Maree.

I really had hope that this latest church, and pastor would be ‘the place’ for me, and I’m a little disappointed that it didn’t work out, and yet, it was a learning experience. It taught me to have the courage to state who I am and trust to the light/universe to guide me through whatever happened next. It was more of a positive experience for me, than a negative one, despite some of the barbs and wounds I caught in the process, I learned that I can survive that, and remain true to myself. That’s powerful!

Thanks for being there for me to use as a sounding board throughout the experience and for listening to my rants, doubts, and thoughts all this time. You’re a true friend and I pray that the balm ammi offered gives you the healing you seek.

Love and Light!

ammi

Joined in 2011
March 16, 2011, 15:26

Hey, Meg, and Ann Maree…

I am really touched that my words touched you both, and encouraged you today… To see them written in the quote, brought them home to me as well… and I need the message of depthing and balm for myself so much today too.

My mother had a bad fall last week and broke her leg very badly… had 4 – 5 hours surgery on Friday to pin and plate it… it has been a bit touch and go. I have been down to Geelong over the weekend to see her, and was pleased to see she was picking up by Monday.

It has just highlighted a whole lot of past history stuff…..

Take care… to you and all the others.

Leanne

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
March 16, 2011, 15:57

Ah, Meg .. .. .. we all feel for you at this time.

There’s something about that “imperishable seed” of belief (planted in us by God) which draws us back to Him, and there something about the need for fellowship and corporate worship which draws us back to attend church. Then we get burnt again (by the ignorance of others).

I pray that God will lead you to the right place and will help you to be strong and courageous in the circumstances.

Bless ya! – david

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 16, 2011, 21:37

Hi Meg,

I’m sorry to hear that the church thing hasn’t quite turned out the way you might have expected. I hope you enjoy your new found freedom outside of corporate worship.

Your freedom2b[e] community is here to support you in your journey 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.08 seconds.