Forums

Marriage

Page:   1 2 3

oooooo

Joined in 2006
December 23, 2010, 18:00

there was teaching in the church a number of years ago that men had less ribs than women

but that is not the case

as far as bits fitting – well even in hetero relationships that is not always the case, I know that for sure … so that is a flawed argument from any who try to use it …

I think it is more a romantic notion of souls becoming one, yet that is an interesting thought considering in most OT times particularly and less in NT times, men had one or more wives plus concubines … so the idea of two becoming one is interesting to say the least …

December 23, 2010, 18:19

That is a very very interesting comment…I was taught that men had one less rib than women!

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
December 23, 2010, 20:08

There are rare instances in which people have an extra rib, with the predominance for this being female: “About 1 in 200-500 people has an additional cervical rib and there is a female predominance.[2] Intrathoracic supernumerary ribs are extremely rare.[3]”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rib_cage

In general though, both men and women have 24 ribs. Two sets of twelve.

I too was taught this ‘Men have one fewer rib,’ story in church, and checked it out for myself years ago. It’s a romantic notion, but not typically true.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 23, 2010, 21:09

Hi Meg

Actually my first boyfriend had extra ribs and vertebrae which were discovered when he broke his back. Fortunately he recovered well with no lasting issues. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 23, 2010, 21:11

Hi Tez

you said:

I think it is more a romantic notion of souls becoming one, yet that is an interesting thought considering in most OT times particularly and less in NT times, men had one or more wives plus concubines … so the idea of two becoming one is interesting to say the least …

I still think there is a connection made, a merging if you like, that occurs no matter how many partners there are. I don’t think polyamoury prohibits this oneness.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

oooooo

Joined in 2006
December 23, 2010, 21:31

no it does not remove a romantic or symbolic notion of unity

but the modern christian and even modern world notions of one man and one woman in unity/relationship is not fully supportive by the genesis and OT stories which are what was the subject matter …

on that score mormon’s earlier polygamy practices (some still do) have some biblical reasoning … they maintain they can and do have a real connection …

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 23, 2010, 22:00

Hi Tez

You said:

… but the modern christian and even modern world notions of one man and one woman in unity/relationship is not fully supportive by the genesis and OT stories which are what was the subject matter …

Can you say about this? I’m not sure what you mean..

Blessings,

Ann Maree

oooooo

Joined in 2006
December 24, 2010, 07:37

Well the church historically has run with the stance – one man, one woman, Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve

One man was created and one woman from him …

A couple of things were used from this

1. they used this to destroy notions of homosexuality as being normal and right

but also

2. for keeping women in their place, needing to stay in submission and do as the husband, the leader of the household says … as as we all know this saw many women down trodden and even abused as well as the children …

but if we look at the OT many of the men had second or more wives and concubines as well.

So the one on one, the romantic notion of one man and one woman forever was not supported by that teaching of one on one … but it has not stopped the teaching of one man and one woman …

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 24, 2010, 09:24

Yes quite true.

Thanks for clarifying. Patriarchy and ignorance are still alive and well.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 28, 2010, 14:59

I think this thread here would also be relevant to the discussion

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/1217

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.