Forums

Men's Accessories?

Page:   1 2

J

Joined in 2012
July 11, 2012, 19:40

Hey there.

Ever since coming out I've wanted to get closer to Jesus, and one way of showing my devotion to him I thought would be to wear some accessories to let others know in real life that I'm Christian. Now as far as I know there isn't much a guy can wear. Perhaps ring/s, a watch/bracelet and a pendant/necklace at max, so last night I went researching for some accessories that I wanted to buy to show my faith and loyalty to Jesus, and came across these that aroused my interest:

I decided I would buy them and so they're currently being shipped 😀 I personally love the combination spinner ring, as I can change the numbers to a date that changed my life. In this case, the 4th of July 2012 [4,7,12], the day I came out to my parents. But in the meantime I bought myself a cheap $20 ring that looks pretty nice!

My mum bought me a silver cloth for my christ-on-the-cross necklace (and a really nice mug with 'Journey' on it which also had a message that means a lot to me) so I polished it up and now it's really shiny! The temporary ring I also got is to the left. Element wallet <3 thought I would include it in the pic because Element is one of my favourite brands.

If anyone has any other accessories or suggestions of what a guy can wear, please post – I'd love to see them! <3

God bless,

~Jordan

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 11, 2012, 20:21

Hi Jordan

I especially love the black spinner ring band as well as your wallet. 🙂

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
July 11, 2012, 21:10

Thanks for the reply Ann Maree!

<3

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 12, 2012, 11:42

Thats an interesting question.

I DONT think theres a hanky code for that (joke – sorry).

It used to be that wearing white sox with black shoes was a signal you were gay (or so I was told when I did it once more because I was lazy) and drawing the fish in the sand was a sign you were christian,

but these days I dont even wear a watch except for special occasions – the only jewellelry I wear is my partner ring – which is a very understated plain gold band – with a single diamond in it… and usually the diamond isnt even visible (its turned in)

Ive always liked the ideas of wrist bands but never actually worn them.

J

Joined in 2012
July 12, 2012, 14:53

Oo thanks ShadowBoxer! I didn't know about the fish in the sand thing. Sounds like something I could take a photograph of 😀

I also heard that gay men sometimes wear a ring on their pinky to let others know they're gay. It may come in handy when people say something like 'so do you have a girlfriend yet?' just because society assumes everyone is heterosexual :-/ then I can just point to my pinky XD heh nah maybe when I come out to my relatives only then I'll be comfortable in letting the world know.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 12, 2012, 16:11

Jordan

Have you seen the car sticker of the fish symbol ? That means it's a Koine Greek play on words that spell out fish (in greek)

From wikipedia

ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym for "Ίησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".

Iota (i) is the first letter of Iēsous (Ἰησοῦς), Greek for "Jesus".

Chi (ch) is the first letter of Christos (Χριστός), Greek for "anointed".

Theta (th) is the first letter of Theou (Θεοῦ), Greek for "God's", the genitive case of Θεóς, Theos, Greek for "God".

Ypsilon (y) is the first letter of (h)yios[3] (Υἱός), Greek for "Son".

Sigma (s) is the first letter of sōtēr (Σωτήρ), Greek for "Savior".

and then

The early church

According to tradition, ancient Christians, during their persecution by the Roman Empire in the first few centuries after Christ, used the fish symbol to mark meeting places and tombs, or to distinguish friends from foes:

…when a Christian met a stranger in the road, the Christian sometimes drew one arc of the simple fish outline in the dirt. If the stranger drew the other arc, both believers knew they were in good company. Current bumper-sticker and business-card uses of the fish hearken back to this practice. The symbol is still used today to show that the bearer is a practicing Christian.

—Christianity Today, Elesha Coffman, "Ask the Editors", [7]

There ARE other theories so read the article in wikipedia – and remember that wikipedia is NOT the font of all wisdom but merely a starting point to knowledge !

Here is the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

Actually the stickers used to be VERY trendy (as did learning the original launguaes the bible was written in) but not so much now – maybe Im showing my age ! 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
July 13, 2012, 03:14

Wow, thanks a ton ShadowBoxer! You have given me a great idea. I could create a fish logo for an online photography prints company I want to start up! I could also do some research and include symbols or words related to each photograph to make them unique and have even more meaning and purpose to the art.

Thanks again! <3 I shall go and do some further research today 🙂

God bless,

Jordan

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 13, 2012, 09:24

Hi Jordon

I would do some market research about using the fish – it became quite a "Cliche" and may have a negative connotation for some people.

You may find the circle which is more subtle will achieve the same ends without the "overuse"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ephesus_IchthysCrop.jpg

Of course – this would depend on your target market. (e.g. if your market was Hillsong regulars – I think the fish MIGHT be fine – but if it was more general – I would do the research first)

What do people on the Forum think – when you see the Fish STICKER on a car – is your reaction positive or negative these days ???

sarab

Joined in 2011
July 13, 2012, 10:59

definitely negative – I too think the fish symbol is a bit of a cliche and in my mind smacks a bit of "holier than thou" – separate from everyone else – all a bit icky if you ask me. I do however also remember learning the story about the arc of the fish while at high school – and that people would use their foot to draw the first arc in the sand – to see if others would draw the bottom arc. Over zealous Christians at school took to doing this in the playground!!! eek!

Good luck with your online company Jordan.

Sarab 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
July 13, 2012, 12:02

Thanks everyone 😀

I did some research on the fish and it doesn't seem too well known, so it may be something others don't recognize or relate to these days either (I myself didn't know about it until now) so I don't think I'll use it 🙁 I did a lot of research on latin and greek words with their english derivatives though, and that has helped me a lot.

I am writing a trilogy of books and was going to name this unique dream world 'Elementa' but found this word 'Aequus' which means 'level' or 'equal'. I wanted this place to basically mean 'freedom' or 'equality', where people can be themselves, so I renamed this land to Aequus, thanks to the research I would not have done if it weren't for you guys! So thanks! ^_^

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.