Forums

My son told me he is Gay.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Blondie64

Joined in 2014
January 13, 2014, 23:44

I have been at work today until just now, helped to keep my mind busy and off the situation at hand. I feel totally exhausted now, spent, numb! I still feel hurt, angry and resentment towards some, I can't help that and even after a full day & night of crying, the tears still flow as I think about things. My head hurts so bad, worst head ache ever, I feel like my brain may explode but mostly I just feel exhausted now. Thanks for your kind words again, it helps, and thanks for being a little understanding where my sons have not been. Also thanks for not thinking I am some vile disgusting human being for being hurt and angry and not able to help how I feel. I haven't spoken to my sons again as I'm too upset to talk and just too spent to argue how I feel and why I feel this way – I just do! Also after texting my boys and being told I'm disgusting by one for being upset & that I should be happy for him cos he's happy, well hell no I'm not happy about it I can't get past hurt at the moment and my son this is concerning has told me I am just mean and made him feel like shit – I didn't mean to but I was just so angry at him for hurting me like he has and not telling me but felt it was okay to tell others & leave his mother excluded for so long – that hurt! I know it's selfish, probably unrealistic and irrational but it's how I felt at the time! I wish I could stop crying, I need a plumber because my orbitals keep leaking. My eyes are swollen and so sore I can hardly see out them even with my glasses – I'm a total shipwreck! I'm hoping tomorrow will be better although somehow I doubt it – perhaps too much damage has been done all around? I feel like the family unit has been shattered beyond all repair, confused and exhausted now – better go & thanks for listening to me when no one else would. Nite all xx

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 14, 2014, 08:09

Hi Blondie64,

Just touching base and letting you know I am thinking of you. The tears will stop one day, trust me 🙂 Chris on the forum here, explained things beautifully with how it was for him and many others in coming out. Still it hurts, I understand that. Be kind to yourself, do something special just for you. To me you come across as a beautiful, loving mother. If you didn't love your son so much you wouldn't be feeling this hurt. It can feel like your head is going to explode, it does ease up as the days pass, every day will be slightly better than the last. I also had thoughts at the time that the family that meant so much to me was shattered as you put it, and wondered what the future held. It might be hard to see it right now but hang onto the knowledge that it will be ok, things will get better. It sounds like you have a strong bond with your sons, it will take more than this to break it. Don't be hard on yourself, allow yourself to feel whatever you feel.

Blondie64

Joined in 2014
January 15, 2014, 00:28

Thanks Mother Hen,

For checking in on me today, your thought is appreciated. Had a bit better day today, not so many tears, just a couple. The upset is subsiding, the hurt is still there and very real, and some anger and resentment still surfaces now and then. I'm unable to help how I feel. I have been trying to keep myself busy at work so as to give my brain a bit of a break from all the thoughts in my head. I'm exhausted a total shipwreck! I did manage to get a few hours sleep last night which mass me feel at least a little sub human this morning. Perhaps if I didn't love my son so much, I wouldn't feel all this hurt like I do? Maybe it will ease as the days pass? Maybe in time I will have my son back? Maybe he will be able to be more open, honest and less guarded in time so that we can become even closer and maybe in the end we will come out of all this okay and be stronger for it. I guess all I can do now is just hang in there?

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 15, 2014, 09:35

Hi Blondie64,

You are sounding more positive today, you have hope. Hang onto that, let that hope be your strength. You are doing great you will get through this. I don't know how things were left with your son, at the very least the fact that he knows you are upset and hurt will have an impact on him. He might be feeling pretty bad himself and concerned about how your relationship with him will be from now. If you haven't done already maybe you could send him a short text and simply say I love you. No more needs to be said, he will need reassurance that you love him and things are going to be OK. It might take sometime, it most certainly doesn't mean how you feel will just magically disappear, it is however a step in the right direction. Take one day at a time, there will be days when you feel more like your old self and others where your world comes crashing in on you again. Keep being strong and hang onto the hope that your family will come through this. There is no time limit on this, it takes as long as it takes. It is important that your son knows that your love for him hasn't changed, that you have not rejected him, that you just need some time and maybe space to work through all this.

I don't know if you have looked at the pflag website yet, when you can I encourage you to go through their site. http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/ They have a lot of helpful information, it's nice to know you are not alone, nice to know you are not going crazy that other parents have gone through similar expereinces and come out the other end fine. 🙂

Blondie64

Joined in 2014
January 15, 2014, 10:59

Hi again Mother Hen,

OMG! It's like you are right inside my head, reading my thoughts, it's kind of weird like you know what I'm thinking and what's happening! I sat up late last night till the early hours of this morning writing a letter to my son on my iPad, telling him just that, that I loved him, always have & always will and that he is my son whether he likes it or not? Also went on to try and explain my thoughts and feelings to him and why I felt that way. I also explained that I hadn't been able to talk to him since that day he told me, because I was upset, hurt and angry and that I had needed time to sort through my issues and why I felt that way. I sent that message to him in the early hours of this morning, but as I'm writing this, he has still not read it and maybe he won't? Maybe he is mad at me too for feeling the way I did, and possibly hurt as well, but I'm not a robot and I couldn't control the upset and hurt I felt at the time and then later the anger and resentment towards those he had let in and trusted before his own mother. I think I really hated them as crazy as that sounds and irrational and unrealistic, it was how I felt. That has eased a little, however there is still a touch of resentment there if I am to be totally honest. I have woke up the past two days in a bit of a fog, partly due to lack of sleep and total mental exhaustion, and I find I keep saying to myself "my son is Gay" and " I have a Gay son" I don't know why I keep doing this? It's like if I say it enough, perhaps I will finally believe it and maybe even be able to accept that this is my lot in life? It's still really raw, and I just don't know what to think or feel anymore, I'm tired of thinking so much it just hurts my head, I feel like my brain is on overload and I wish I could just turn it off for a while and make it all go away – like I know that won't fix things being an ostrich and sticking my head in the sand, yet that's exactly what I felt like doing – running away from it all. I have had my tail between my legs, hiding and licking my wounds for the past two days. Yes I have gone to work, on automatic pilot I must admit, lights were on but nobody was there, I've not talked much just thrown myself into work to try and busy my brain and give it a rest from all the thoughts – it's like I can't stand it sometimes but I can't run away from it either! How I wish I could? Still the occasional tears when I read stuff and think about things but not the continuous floods like the first 24 hours after the bombshell was dropped on me! Stupid thing is, even though I had my suspicions, when I finally found out that was so, why did it still hurt and upset me like it did? The whole thing has been strange and foreign to me, my circle of life has suddenly become square? Perhaps Ned Kelly summed it up best when he said "such is life" a young man wise beyond his years.

Blondie64

Joined in 2014
January 15, 2014, 11:28

Thank you so much for this site Freedom to be and to everyone on it who has taken time out of their day to offer me their thoughts, advice and knowledge, you know who you are. I have been a total shipwreck these past couple of days, it's true I was sinking faster than the Titanic at a great rate of knots! You guys threw me a lifeline, and slowly brought me up to the surface of the water to where I could at least breathe again when I felt, I couldn't even do that. Let alone rationalise all my thoughts and feelings the pain, hurt, upset and anger were all just too much, I was totally over whelmed and felt like I just crumpled into a non functional ball of tears wishing that the whole world would just go away & leave me alone. Funny thing was I was all alone and with no one that I could talk too, so, I thank all of you for totally being my life line and you were and are more so than you will probably ever know. You have kept me sane when I felt I was going insane and just couldn't cope. From the bottom of my shattered heart, thank you all so much. Blondie 64 🙂 p.s. This is the only smile I have been able to muster in days – again thank you all so much!

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 15, 2014, 11:47

You are going to be OK 🙂 you are doing great. Ha ha I told you I would wake up every morning and say I can't believe my son is gay. It does sink in after a while and you know it's not all that bad it's ok. I know your perspective of your son has change, but deep down he is still the amazing young man you brought him up to be. Give him sometime as well. He will have a lot to digest with your letter, it's great you reached out to him. Let him also react and feel the way he needs too. It's a pleasure for us on F2B to help other's who find themselves in need for a period of time. In time you might be able to help some other mother who is going through a similar experience, you will know what it's like and will know that there is hope and you do come out the other end. Remember take one day at a time 🙂

How did you come across F2B anyway?

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
January 15, 2014, 12:12

Just a reminder to check out PFLAG – you can actually call them and talk to someone who has been through what you are going through now.

http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/

PFLAG is an organisation for Parents (and friends) of Lesbian and Gay people and so many of them will relate to exactly what you are feeling.

They "strictly respect and are sensitive to the confidentiality of all participants." and as an organisation – its focus is on support for the parents, family and friends of Lesbians and Gays. (Please dont get me wrong – you are more than welcome here and we will do ALL we can to provide support – your posts are DEFINTELY welcome – but many of us will be better able to explain what your Son is feeling than what you are feeling. There are a number of mothers on the forum though (its quiet – Im guessing because of the Christmas holidays – many of the regular posters seem to be away) so Im just letting yo u know that PFLAG could ALSO be a good resource – one where you can pick up the phone and talk to someone and depending on where you are – possibly attend meetings.

and there are a number of PFLAG Chapters –>

http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/locations.html

But if you are in QLD – I would try contacting

QLD – PFLAG Brisbane

Email: [email protected] – Phone: 0409363335

Address: 30 Helen St Newstead QLD 4006

SA – SA – PFLAG South Australia

Email: [email protected] – Phone: (08) 8369 0718

Address: P.O.Box 211 Ingle Farm S.A.5098

webpage: http://www.pspflag.org.au/

WA – WA – PFLAG Perth

Email: [email protected] – Phone: 0404594699

Address: PO Box 3025 Lakeside Joondalup WA 6027

(There is an ACT one also but Im guessing you arent there – but its details are on the site)

There are quite a number of chapters across NSWs so I would check the website to find the closest one.

If you aren in NT – I would call QLD and if in Tassie – I would call VIC.

Our thoughts are all with you…

Blondie64

Joined in 2014
January 15, 2014, 12:53

Hi Shadow Boxer,

Thanks for the offer of PFLAG offer, however I have hardly been able to talk yet without the tears, so that's why I have written instead, doesn't matter if tear drops on the iPad, bit better than listening to someone upset on the other end of the line, besides I don't think I'm ready yet to talk to anyone. Also there is no way I would turn up to a meeting, incase someone there knew me – no way! I also am not one that is big on talking in groups, it just doesn't sit comfortable with me. If I am not meant to be on this site I am sorry, I probably picked the wrong one, I don't know, I was just desperate to talk to someone anyone anonymously, and the name caught my attention and I just thought I had nothing left to lose. I was literally grabbing at straws at the time. Besides I have had responses from some that have really helped me on here, I know you keep trying to push PFLAG to me but I don't feel ready for that, not yet, feels like it may be a bit too much in your face kind of thing, and I'm not sure I could handle that right now.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 15, 2014, 13:00

Hi Blondie64,

You are more than welcome on this site. Shadow boxer was just trying to suggest a group that may be able to help even more. You can be here and looking on their site as well, it's not one or the other. 🙂 I can understand you not being ready to talk to someone yet, and as you mentioned going to a group meeting may not be the thing for you, certainly at this time. You can look at their site online, that's all I did. You know what you need, listen to your body, do what is right for you and your son at this time.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.111 seconds.