Forums

Need Some Advice

Page:   1 2 3 4

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 25, 2012, 03:07

Hi All,

Before I go into details let me give an introduction of myself. Im Amila from Sri lanka (yes you read it right), its an island just below India in the Indian Ocean(obviously 😉 ), Im presently studying medicine in China and have come back home for the summer break. Im gave my life to Christ when I was a teenager and tried to pray the gay away till last year when finally I gave up and started searching for a method to accept myself. A pen pal of mine generously did a blog post about me and posted a link to this site, I've been spending my summer reading alot of the articles here and praying asking God to help me accept myself and accept His love in my situation. From someone who tried to change himself then to kill himself to someone who accepts himself for who he is, God has brought me through a long tough journey and im very thankful that He lead me to this site where I could learn more and share my story with you.

Recently I came out to my christian brother who is working in the UK and his response wasnt very good. But God still took my hand and helped me go through that time. Over the past few months I've become very close to my parents and have been praying and asking God to prepare their hearts to receive me when I do come out to them. Its summer break and Im back home and I really want to come out to them but I really dont know where to start :S

My Dad is a budhist and my mum is a christian. I have no idea what their view on homosexuality is, or if they even know what it is :/ and here in Sri lanka (or any asian country as a matter of fact) our culture strongly condemns homosexuality, I could be sent to jail if I was caught in "the act" which is why Im not intending on settling here. But over the years I've got tired of living a lie, tired of pretending that everything is okay. I badly want to come out to them but at the same time very nervous and worried about it. I've been praying everyday asking God to give me strength and asking Him to prepare them for this and I've felt the Lord tell me to be patient and that the time will come. So while I wait I thought I'd talk to people and ask for advice as to how to deal with this whole coming our process..

Today my pen pal sent me a link to an article he'd written on this subject I'm sure it would be helpful to many others who are in the same situation as I am

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/28077-how-to-tell-your-parents-that-you-are-gay

Please do share your thoughts and ideas or maybe struggles that you had to face when you came out to your parents… and maybe pray for me that things wouldnt be too bad..

Thank you so much 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
July 25, 2012, 07:19

Hey Amila,

Hmm your situation is a really tough one.

And wow, I didn't know you could be jailed in your country for being caught in the act :O here I thought me coming out to my parents was tough in New Zealand (one of the most homophobic countries on earth because it's "God's Zone" and most *disclaimer: not all* Christians here frown upon it). Much respect Amila. We're all here for you.

Firstly I don't have a degree in giving advice – there are way more helpful people on these forums who can offer you some ideal tips for your particular situation. I'm only relatively new here, but I can give you some ideas as to what worked for me 😀

For many years my parents shouted homophobic slurs whenever they saw a gay person/s on television. They'd shout out things like 'ew gay' and (excuse the language) 'ew faggots'. You know, all the steriotypical ignorant comments. It hurt me because they were talking about ME. After years of hearing all that, I snapped (and it takes A LOT for me to snap). I decided enough was enough, and got to works on a coming out letter (I still wasn't ready to come out, but I probably would have topped myself if I heard those comments any longer from my own family – luckily I didn't top myself because things DO get better). So in terms of ideas/advice here – only YOU will know when the time is right.

My coming out letter was eight pages long in the end, with the last page having a few links they could go to, to understand where I was coming from and to help them understand a bit better. So in terms of advice here, I would suggest writing down every single thought and feeling you've ever had. Right down to things like 'when did you know you were gay?', 'is this just a phase?', the type of questions parents would ask. I would also recommend some YouTube videos which may help them a bit more to understand where you're coming from.

These 'Real Christianity is Accepting' videos from Pastor Rob Buckingham helped my parents a lot in particular, as they are Christian, and have always thought that being gay was both a sin and a choice, until now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPfql9A_vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIez3WErnfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62T4czN8SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv7EwO4f6G8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfprUmzNVI

Your mum may find those videos particularly helpful – it did with my mum!

Now the video below speaks in a weird sort of manner/tone, but it has some amazing points, including the fact that homosexuality is found in nature, and that it is NOT unnatural. It talks about how ex-gay programs don't work, and that there are scientifically proven results as to how people are born gay, and that it is NOT a choice. Worth checking out anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQSx3OCrXQ

Further ideas would be to watch A LOT of "coming out" videos and "it gets better" videos on YouTube. You would be amazed at how much support there is out there and how many people are going through the same thing. It has helped me in coming to terms with myself and who I am. It has also lifted my confidence up a few notches.

Perhaps mentioning these forums will help your parents a lot too (particularly the "Straight Friends, Family and Supporters forum"). I think the most important aspect of coming out is letting the other party fully understand 1) What you're going through, and 2) Accept the fact that being gay is completely normal, and that you are still the same person before AND after you come out.

Reading some coming out letters may also give you some great ideas as to what you could write – should you come out to your parents in a letter. I found by writing down everything (my thoughts, feelings etc.), my parents were able to soak it all in at their own pace. Who knows, you may be more comfortable speaking to them face to face. It depends on which you think would be better. I personally can't give public speeches very well and I always forget about things I want to say, so writing everything made it so much easier. You can always edit it and perfect it too.

I hope some of that was helpful 🙂

God Bless Amila,

~Jordan

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 25, 2012, 15:07

Quote from Bornthisway on July 25, 2012, 7:19 am

I hope some of that was helpful 🙂

~Jordan

Hey Jordan,

Oh my goodness.. First of all thank you so much for investing your time on writing a reply to my post im touched by your concern for me. 🙂

I shall watch the vids on youtube that you posted in your reply and yes I have been watching a lot of coming out vids and reading how different people came out to their families. I am encouraged by the many families that come around but also a part of me gets a bit nervous when I hear of the few that get kicked out or those parents who never come to terms with it, but I guess as the Apostle Paul says "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me" I know that with God's strength nothing is impossible and I believe that my parents would come around by His grace.

Your reply was actually an answer to my prayer last night. Right after I posted my story I prayed that God would give me a sign and honestly I didnt think that anyone would post a reply to my post and here I am looking at the longest reply I've got for any post thus far.. God is just amazing.. 🙂

I've been thinking of talking to my parents about it cause I still live with them (atleast when I'm down for the summer), but I also have to agree with you on the fact that I too am not the best at remembering everything I'm supposed to share when it comes to situations like this. Maybe I'd write and then take that letter with me and talk to them but I've not thought about any of that. I guess sitting down and writing everything I feel would be a good way to channel my emotions in a positive way that would make them less uncomfortable and yes I totally agree with you on the fact that letters could always be edited and perfected.. I will spend sometime compiling a letter and post it here before I actually share it with my parents. that way I could get your feedback before I really do it.. 🙂

Thanks again for all the support

God bless you

Amila

J

Joined in 2012
July 25, 2012, 20:55

Hey, no worries 😀 I'm glad it helped, and WOW about your prayer – God works in mysterious ways!

Indeed, I have seen some videos where coming out to their parents resulted in them being physically abused. Something no one should ever face. One thing is for sure though, God is the only one you need validation from, and if your parents or anyone else for that matter don't understand where you are coming from, either way, you would have done your utmost to get them to understand where you are coming from and what you've been going through. When I told my parents though I felt liberated, like literally this massive burden lifted off of me. The only way I could describe it was you know that sinking feeling in your stomach (or heart) when you're told bad news? It was like that, for TEN years. Then when I came out, I was completely at peace with it all and that heavy feeling, that double life I was living, just went away. Sure it was the most terrifying and nervous day of my life (couldn't sleep that night in fact) but it was so worth it.

The night I placed my letter down at the bottom of the stairs, I got together a bag with some basic essentials though (clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, wallet etc.), preparing to be completely rejected and having a plan to walk all the way into the city, finding a hotel and getting a job the next day. I figured out I would survive 2 weeks maximum, but I was lucky enough to have understanding parents – and it is extremely difficult to read how your own parents would handle it as everyone reacts differently. I sure didn't know how they would respond as they were always shouting homophobic slurs, so naturally, you tend to hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I still live with my parents and I'm 22, so don't worry about that. Everything takes time, and no thanks to society (in general), many people these days just love to put others in a box and label you as this and that if you don't follow the invisible rules of life. For example, you must have your driver's license by X age, you must be married by X age, you must have a house by X age. My relatives were always asking what I was doing next, and to be honest I had no clue, in fact I still don't (although I am looking into singing/songwriting now), I tried a few things but they just weren't for me, and the more they pressured me, the more I began to hide in my shell and become a mute. It was horrible, but now I'm going to start telling them the truth. That I don't have my life 100% sorted/planned, and that I don't know what I want to do or what I am good at, but I'm going to find myself some day soon, and that's all that matters.

I think a letter would be good. Perhaps sitting down with your parents while they're reading it would be good too. That way you can answer any questions they have. The letter should reiterate the fact that you still love them – you ALWAYS will, and that you're not trying to hurt them, rather let them into your whole life – it's a sign of complete trust in my opinion.

Here, I will show you my own coming out letter below. I copy pasta'ed some paragraphs from other people's coming out letters/stories as they explained what I wanted to say literally word for word. There is quite a bit of my own wording in there too though, which includes my own feelings, thoughts and examples of how I was treated and what I was going through.

By the way, the bit about hoping my parents wouldn't chuck me out on the street that wasn't planned that far yet – well, I had my bag packed, but I forgot to print the google map to Auckland city, and it was too early in the morning for me to print it, but figured if worse came to worse, I knew they would let me print it and I would be on my way. Luckily it didn't have to resort to any of that though.

Dear Mum and Dad,

You are probably wondering why I am writing you a letter for the first time in my life. First of all, I want to say how much I love you as my parents, and I am truly blessed to have a mum and dad that have always been there for me.

You have always supported me in everything I do, and provided me with anything I ever needed. You two were strong when I was weak, and you raised me in the best possible Christian upbringing.

Writing you this letter will be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life, but I am doing it because I love you and the very thought that this could hurt you is almost enough for me to not say anything at all.

I can no longer keep living a lie however, and I owe it to you as my parents to tell you the truth. I don’t want you guys to one day come home and find me dead in my room, leaving behind a million questions as to why I would ever resort to such a thing. I know that there will never be a right time to tell you this, and it burdens me when there are so many other things going on in your life right now, but know that I am still the same person before and after you read this letter. Here goes… I’m gay.

I realize you will have many thoughts and questions going through your head right now. Why is our son gay? What did we do to make him gay? Will he ever be happy? What will everyone else think? There are probably more questions but let me answer these ones for now, and please take as much time as you need to process all this. If you want me to stay in my room for a few weeks, that is cool. If you want to chuck me out on the street because of this news, well, err, I haven’t planned that far yet, but I can’t begin to fathom anyone’s parents doing such a thing at a time when they need the utmost support.

The first thing I want you to know is that I have always been gay. I would love to tell you that this is just a temporary phase or that I can change, but sadly that is not the case. I have been gay for as long as I can remember. I don’t know why, I just know that I am. This was never a choice either. In my teenage years I thought I was just going through a hormonal phase and thought nothing of it, but my feelings never changed. As time went on I began to realize that I was indeed gay, and that it wasn’t a phase, but was kept in silence because society told me it is not normal and morally wrong.

So why am I gay? Only God knows the answer to this question, and He makes no mistakes. Maybe it is for me to realize that everyone deserves to be loved, and that discriminating against others is not the answer. No matter what religion you are in or where you come from.

After almost ten years of being in denial and struggling with that very question of ‘why am I gay’ myself, I have finally accepted who I am. When I was thirteen (this being as far back as I can remember having a conscience) I always knew I was different. I couldn’t describe this particular sort of ‘different’ though. I firmly believe I was born this way, and trust me when I say this. Nothing that either of you two did made me gay. This is who I am. Just like everyone who has no say in their pre-assigned gender, skin colour, hair colour, race or nationality. I cannot change my sexual preference, and up until now I have been keeping this secret from you.

Being gay is never a ‘choice’ as most people tend to think it is. I have gone through a million battles in my head, and not once did I ever ‘choose’ to be gay, as I always felt this way from the moment I had a conscience. The only choice I felt I needed to address was whether or not to tell you all of this. At one point in time I had to come to the conclusion that:

A) If I came out, it meant that one day I will be happy, but it would also potentially mean losing my entire family over something I cannot change, and furthermore, is something that is not generally tolerated in today’s society for whatever reason. Personally, I call it ‘ignorance’.

OR

B) If I kept living this lie and did not come out, I would never be happy, but I would probably keep my family and live in denial and suicidal depression, but ultimately end up topping myself. Suicide is not the answer here. It shouldn’t even be an option, but the reality is it happens to most gay people going through what I am going through right now.

I did not want to have to choose between the two, nor did I want to keep living a lie and top myself, because I want both my happiness and my family.

Nothing you two ever did made me gay. Please know that. It has taken me many years to come to terms with who I am, and many nights I cried and tried to ‘pray the gay away’, but received no answers as to why I felt like this.

God would not make me straight or ‘cure’ me no matter how many times I prayed or read the bible. He seems present in so many circumstances (getting me through rough times at school like when Kayne was miraculously moved from my graphics class after wanting me to join some satanic band at a time when the timetables were already set in concrete, and watching a soccer ball hit that Kerryn kid on the head from out of nowhere when he was hurling abuse at me for example), but it’s almost like he just leaves me alone to deal with my sexuality.

This is the real reason I started to hate going to church. It wasn’t because I hated God or anything, it was simply because I felt judged and unaccepted by the very people who are supposed to be role models of love and acceptance in today’s society (yet ironically condone and passionately hate those who are Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, or Transgender), and I wanted answers so desperately from God, and I never received them.

I accept who I am now. I am still not ready for the overwhelming rejection I will inevitably face in the future, but I strongly believe that I was born this way to set an example for others that are going through the same things I have my entire life.

Will I ever be happy? I would like to think so. Writing this certainly does not make me happy, that is for sure. I think my true happiness ultimately depends on whether you guys still love and accept me unconditionally for who I am and what I stand for. I am still the same person before and after you have read this letter, only now you know the whole me.

What will everyone else think? I cannot say for certain as everyone’s opinions are different, but I acknowledge the real world isn’t exactly sympathetic or understanding and I have to psych myself up somehow for the shear hatred I will ultimately receive from society and probably my own relatives and family. I found comfort in a quote on the internet a few days ago though, which said “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind”.

I know myself enough now to realize God didn’t want everyone to discriminate against and judge each other. He loves all of us, and I know that deep down inside I am not a bad person or a sinner for being myself. There was also something that hit home for me from the bible, and that was “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness”. Well, this is my weakness.

Finally accepting who I am has been a somewhat humbling experience because for a long time now I’ve seen the worst in humanity (probably why I am not a people person), and have finally learnt to take everyone as who they are rather than what they are. I have seen people being discriminated against because of their weight, height, gender, hair colour, skin colour, sexual preference, nationality, race and religion. Take Sophie Lancaster’s story for example. She was kicked to death by a bunch of guys just because she looked gothic. To me, that is seriously messed up, and so is treating anyone else like a second class citizen just because of who they are or who they love.

Now the following may hurt you, but know that it is never intentional. I just want to tell you how I feel and hope to sort these issues out as a family so that one day we can all get along, long after this letter has been read.

Mum, it hurts me when you shout out homophobic slurs such as ‘faggots’, ‘must be gay’ and ‘ew gay’, because that is me you’re talking about.

And Dad, it hurts me when you say things like ‘Oh a fudge packer ey?’ like the other day when a contestant and his boyfriend were on Master Chef, because that is me you’re talking about.

I don’t expect anyone, including you guys, to understand the millions of thoughts, feelings, and psychological crap I have had to deal with on a daily basis for the past ten years, but I hope that one day you can tolerate me to the point of not making any homophobic slurs in front of me, because it is truly hurtful and makes me suicidally depressed coming from my own loving and supporting parents.

It has taken an immense amount of courage for me to write this letter, and I am telling you this in writing form because to me it is the best way of jotting down everything I feel I need to address, because as you know I am not very good with speeches.

I know all this isn’t easy for you guys to read. Not many parents have to go through this, and I am sorry that you have to. I’ve had my whole life to come to terms with being gay, and it has still been extremely difficult. I hope that your journey of accepting and loving me doesn't take as many years as it has for me.

We now have a great opportunity to become closer than we ever have. A chance to share all my hopes and aspirations for my life. I still love you and will always love you just the same, and I hope that you can continue loving me and being happy for me as you always have.

On another note, there’s also the issue of telling family, friends and relatives. To be honest, I have been focusing much of my thoughts to this point on telling you, and I haven’t yet thought much about which friends and relatives to tell, or when. But this is something I think should be discussed as a family, and it’s a decision I want to make as a family.

Mum, Dad, I know the coming weeks and months will be difficult for all of us, as we struggle to come to terms as a family with the news I’ve just shared. Please understand that I’m not trying to hurt you, rather, I want to try to bring you into a part of my life that you may only now be realizing you have been missing from. This is by no means an easy task, and I’m ready to be patient. There is so much else to say, so much that I will have to leave for later. But I want you to remember, Mum and Dad, that I am the same person today that I was yesterday.

Whenever you have questions or issues you feel you’re ready to discuss, please don’t hesitate to ask me. I want to be there for you, to help you through this, just as I hope you will be there for me. Mum and Dad, I will always love you.

Your son,

Jordan

—————————————————————————————–

P.S. I came across a couple things which may help you guys, as well as me, in coming to terms with all of this.

http://www.bennygresham.blogspot.co.nz/

Since accepting myself for who I am, and deep down inside knowing that this is a part of Gods plan in finding myself, I am trying to find answers as to how I can balance the revelation of my sexuality and religion at the same time, and the above site was great.

It talks about how Brian Houston from Hillsong understands where the LGBT community are coming from, that it is not ok to discriminate and hate on others in the name of God, and that encouraging gay people to change who they are by going through these ‘ex-gay’ programs (which are now banned and discouraged) seriously messes with their mind psychologically – to the point of suicide, and that it does not work.

There are many gay Christians who are living a life of love, equality and acceptance, but most importantly, God.

Here is also an important message from Ellen Degeneres talking about bullying, and that people dealing with being gay need to stay alive to know that it gets better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBUMugqDRHg

If there was anything I could have done differently in my coming out letter, it would have been to provide more links, perhaps some coming out stories and it gets better videos to help my parents understand a bit more, and provide links to places like this amazing forum where they can ask questions and receive answers from parents who have gone through the same thing, but either way it worked out well in the end.

Hope that helps 😀 feel free to copy any of my coming out letter in your own letter 😉 Note though that some parts were copied from HillsBen's coming out letter (you may want to read it – it's really good) which can be found somewhere on these forums. It helped me tremendously. We're here for you Amila, keep strong 🙂

God Bless,

~Jordan

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 25, 2012, 23:32

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for sharing your letter here.. Yeah I did read Ben's letter yesterday. I will sit and think through and write a letter and post it here as I said earlier so that I could get some feed back on it.

Just one question though… how did u give ur letter?? was it like a hard copy or an e mail cause how would I attach the links otherwise :/

I feel a bit silly asking this question but I guess this is what happens when a perfectionist get nervous..

God has been amazing today.. He answered a question I always had in mind from the links that you'd posted… I always wondered if the Holy Spirit filled any gay person who has come to terms with it…. I never heard of anyone and it troubled me cause God has been gracious and blessed me so much and I continued to question if i was hurting Him in anyway. But Pastor Rob shared a testimony of a guy who was filled with the Spirit and saw visions and spoke in tongues and who accepted himself and continued to serve God… that was so amazing… 🙂 it really comforted me and gave me more strength cause just last night I prayed asking for a sign from God and this happened.. Thank God..

I'l write my letter soon and post it here.. thank you again for the love and support.. God Bless you 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
July 26, 2012, 07:39

Hey :D,

I put the 8 printed & stapled pages inside a blank envelope addressed 'mum and dad' and put it at the bottom of the stairs (I still have it all on a word document on my computer too). The links weren't clickable so they would of had to type it in the internet address bar, or search for the sites online – so in that regard an email would be more helpful, though emails can be forwarded to others, and you might not be ready for the whole world to know incase things get nasty. I have heard of stories where this guy's brother found out he was gay via some chat messaging thing and blabbed it to his whole school. In doing so, the trust he had in his brother was completely destroyed.

Pastor Rob Buckingham is a legend indeed, I only recently heard about him on these forums and since then I've wanted to go to his sermons because this guy is legit! Though he's in Australia, but if I ever go there I would definitely love to hear his words of wisdom. The world needs more pastors like him. I love the part when he says 'For God so loved THE WORLD that WHOEVER believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life' then he says 'anyone not a part of whoever?', It was brilliant. I'm a part of whoever, and I just happen to be gay as well 😀

God Bless you Amila, and I look forward to reading your letter 🙂

~Jordan

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 26, 2012, 08:02

Hi Amila

I think the main things to include in your letter are: the good things about your parents and what they have imparted to you that's positive, your spirituality/faith in God and how you want that to continue and know it can through the example of other gay Christians at f2b, how it's been for you to grapple with your sexuality and how it's hurt you to hide this and the reasons why you've hidden it, your reason for coming out now (i.e. important to be honest), that you are still the same good person that they raised, that your being gay is not through anything they did or didn't do, permission for them to respond however they need to and in their own time, and lastly, supports offered for your parents, such as PFLAG number and/or website and maybe even giving one of the Mum's names from here with their permission gained beforehand to be an available contact. (Mother Hen is currently away but you could send her a PM and ask if she'd be available if your Mum has any questions).

How do you expect your parents will respond to the news?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 26, 2012, 16:29

Okay Jordan.. I got the idea.. I kinda have it all planned in my head now.. just gotta put this plan into action. I feel like a detective suddenly LOL.. 😀 thank you once again for all the help…Im gonna be doing my letter today since I'l be staying in the hospital with my dad since he has to undergo a surgery so I have time to stay awake and write… I totally agree with you about Pastor Rob…. Thank God for people like him.. Im planning on moving to australia once im done with my degree.. hope that works out.. I can actually meet him and talk to him… looking forward to that.. 🙂

Ann Maree… thank you so much for the help.. well I dont live in Australia (i'm from Sri lanka) and im not very sure if my parents would be open to talk to someone they'd not even met or known.. im not really sure if that would be an option but I could provide some websites that offer help.. as for your question… I wish I had some idea as to how they would react.. Im not really sure if my mum knows what being gay means.. I might have to do lots of explaining telling them about sexuality and how its not a choice etc.. its a challenge but with God NOTHING is impossible.. 😀

Thank you for your prayers and support

God Bless you

Amila

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 26, 2012, 22:26

So here we are… with lots of support from you I have finally written my letter.. Jordan since you gave me permission I have added parts of your letter and added things that I wanted to say in the places I thought were appropriate.. Though im not very sure if the websites will be helpful I added them in case they decide to visit and read. Im actually thinking of calling a friend up and spending the night over at his place and leave the letter in my parent's room and leave. That way they could both read together and talk about it. What do u think of that idea?? let me know ok? read the letter and tell me if I shud make any edits…

Thank you 🙂

Amila

Dear Mama and Papa,

You both must be wondering why I’m writing a letter to you for the first time in my life. First of all I would like to tell you how awesome you both are and that every day I thank God for blessing me with such wonderful loving parents.

You have always supported me in everything I do, and provided me with anything I ever needed. You two were strong when I was weak, and you raised me in the best possible Christian upbringing.

Writing you this letter will be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life, but I am doing it because I love you and the very thought that this could hurt you is almost enough for me to not say anything at all.

I can no longer keep living a lie however, and I owe it to you as my parents to tell you the truth. I don’t want you guys to one day come home and find me dead in my room, leaving behind a million questions as to why I would ever resort to such a thing. I know that there will never be a right time to tell you this, and it burdens me when there are so many other things going on in your life right now, but know that I am still the same person before and after you read this letter. Here goes… I’m gay.

First of all let me tell you what that means because I think that many people have a misconception about what it exactly means. Being gay doesn’t mean that there is something wrong with my reproductive system and that I can’t have children. Being gay means that I’m attracted to the same sex as me. I know that in our culture things that are outside the common have been regarded as taboo and this too is viewed by many as taboo. But after years and years of reading and research of my own I have come to understand that this is very normal in the human race as well as in the animal kingdom. Many psychologists after years of research have concluded that human sexuality is a very complex subject and that factors such as genes, environment in the uterus and many other unknown factors play a significant role in determining one’s sexual orientation.

I realize you will have many thoughts and questions going through your head right now. Why is our son gay? What did we do to make him gay? Will he ever be happy? What will everyone else think? There are probably more questions but let me answer these ones for now, and please take as much time as you need to process all this. If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay. Take as much time as you need and ask many questions as you can, but in the end of the day there’s just one thing I’m asking from you. Accept me please.

The first thing I want you to know is that I have always been gay. I would love to tell you that this is just a temporary phase or that I can change, but sadly that is not the case. I have been gay for as long as I can remember. I don’t know why, I just know that I am. This was never a choice either. In my teenage years I thought I was just going through a hormonal phase and thought nothing of it, but my feelings never changed.

As time went on I began to realize that I was indeed gay, and that it wasn’t a phase, but was kept in silence because society told me it is not normal and morally wrong.

So why am I gay? Only God knows the answer to this question, and He makes no mistakes. Maybe it is for me to realize that everyone deserves to be loved, and that discriminating against others is not the answer. No matter what religion you are in or where you come from.

For almost 8 years I tried to “change” who I was, you both know how many Christian camps I attended and this I did partly because I wanted God to change me, to make me “normal” cause I couldn’t bear to hurt you, the people I love the most in this whole world. Since I was in grade 8 in school I began to realize that everyone had girlfriends and that I was never attracted to girls. I wondered what was wrong with me, I was so confused and scared I thought that I had some mental disorder and worried day and night. I prayed everyday that God would change me but nothing happened. God answered every other prayer of mine but when it came to this He remained silent. I never understood why, but now I do. He wanted me to be happy with who He created me to be.

I firmly believe I was born this way, and trust me when I say this. Nothing that either of you two did made me gay. This is who I am. Just like everyone who has no say in their pre-assigned gender, skin colour, hair colour, race or nationality. I cannot change my sexual preference, and up until now I have been keeping this secret from you.

Being gay is never a ‘choice’ as most people tend to think it is. I have gone through a million battles in my head, and not once did I ever ‘choose’ to be gay, as I always felt this way from the moment I had a conscience. The only choice I felt I needed to address was whether or not to tell you all of this. At one point in time I had to come to the conclusion that:

A) If I came out(told you that I was gay), it meant that one day I will be happy, but it would also potentially mean losing my entire family over something I cannot change, and furthermore, is something that is not generally tolerated in today’s society for whatever reason. I think it’s due to the lack of education on this subject.

OR

B) If I kept living this lie and did not come out, I would never be happy, but I would probably keep my family and live in denial and suicidal depression, but ultimately end up ending this wonderful life that God has blessed me with. Suicide is not the answer here. It shouldn’t even be an option, but the reality is it happens to most gay people going through what I am going through right now.

I know that even though we never talked about it you both must always wonder why that day I tried to kill myself. Well, now you know the answer. I felt that I couldn’t live my life without hurting the people I loved and that ending life was better than to watch people hurt and be depressed by it. The sad thing is that the day Nanda caught me was not the first time I tried it and it wasn’t the last. I tried my best to bare this on my own but it only caused me more and more depression and my world just became a very dark place where death seemed better than life.

During my first and second years studying in China, I pretended that everything was okay. Whenever you would call me I would put on an act just to make you both happy. Because I love you both so much and I just can’t bear to hurt you both in anyway. But in the third year it was just too much for me. A lot of people in class were calling me names and I just couldn’t handle the stress I was going through on my own. That’s when I decided that I was going to open up to you both.

Papa I want to tell you that, that night when you spoke to me I felt so loved by you and that I felt so much at peace cause I didn’t have to act anymore and I felt that when I opened up to you, you opened your arms wide and held me. That gave me so much strength to keep going.

Mama each time you called me before and after exams since that night, I cried after the calls cause I was so moved by your love for me and I felt that I was the most blessed son on earth.

And I think that my mark sheet proves the effect you had on me this semester. The so called hard semester was the very semester that I got the highest marks thus far in my medical studies, and all thanks to the support that you both gave me and after that I felt that with you both to love me and God beside me there was nothing in the world that I couldn’t do. But it also got me thinking and after many many days of thinking and praying I decided that I wouldn’t hide anything from you both and that from now on I want my life to be an open book before you both cause I’ve realized the value of sharing things with you during these past few months of exams.

I want to say this again nothing you two ever did made me gay. Please know that. It has taken me many years to come to terms with who I am, and many nights I cried and tried to ‘pray the gay away’, but received no answers as to why I felt like this.

For many years Shadrach has helped me stay alive in the midst of all the emotional trauma I was going through every day. We prayed many many times that God would change me but nothing happened. For 8 long years I tried everything that people told me to try, I prayed, fasted, read books that Matt and Joe gave me in China, went for conferences, camps, of course all of these helped me improve in my relationship with God but my sexuality still remained the same.

I accept who I am now. I am still not ready for the overwhelming rejection I will inevitably face in the future, but I strongly believe that I was born this way to set an example for others that are going through the same things I have my entire life. I still love God and have a very healthy relationship with Him.

Will I ever be happy? I would like to think so. Writing this certainly does not make me happy, that is for sure. I think my true happiness ultimately depends on whether you guys still love and accept me unconditionally for who I am and what I stand for. I am still the same person before and after you have read this letter, only now you know the whole me. I really don’t want to hide anything from you anymore.

What will everyone else think? I cannot say for certain as everyone’s opinions are different, but I acknowledge the real world isn’t exactly sympathetic or understanding and I have to psych myself up somehow for the shear hatred I will ultimately receive from society and probably my own relatives and family. I found comfort in a quote on the internet a few months ago though, which said:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind”.

I know myself enough now to realize God didn’t want everyone to discriminate against and judge each other. He loves all of us, and I know that deep down inside I am not a bad person or a sinner for being myself. There was also something that hit me hard from the bible, and that was “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness”. Well, this is my weakness.

Finally accepting who I am has been a somewhat humbling experience because for a long time now I’ve seen the worst in humanity and have finally learnt to take everyone as who they are rather than what they are. I have seen people being discriminated against because of their weight, height, gender, hair colour, skin colour, sexual preference, nationality, race and religion. Papa I still remember how when the two of us were at the school science exhibition you pointed at the human skeleton and told me that at the end of the day we were all the same. You taught me how not to discriminate.

It has taken an immense amount of courage for me to write this letter, and I am telling you this in writing form because to me it is the best way of jotting down everything I feel I need to address. I know all this isn’t easy for you guys to read. Not many parents have to go through this, and I am so sorry that you have to. I’ve had my whole life to come to terms with being gay, and it has still been extremely difficult. I hope that your journey of accepting and loving me doesn't take as many years as it has for me.

We now have a great opportunity to become closer than we ever have. A chance to share all my hopes and aspirations for my life. I still love you and will always love you just the same, and I hope that you can continue loving me and being happy for me as you always have.

There’s also the issue of telling family, relatives. To be honest, I have been focusing much of my thoughts to this point on telling you, and I haven’t thought much about which relatives to tell, or when. But this is something I think should be discussed as a family, and it’s a decision I want to make as a family. For now Teena Akki , Osanda Malli, and Ayya know about it, some friends from school and most people in China know too.

Ma and Pa I know the coming weeks and months will be difficult for all of us, as we struggle to come to terms as a family with the news I’ve just shared. Please understand that I’m not trying to hurt you, rather, I want to try to bring you into a part of my life that you may only now be realizing you have been missing from. This is by no means an easy thing to do, and I’m ready to be patient. There is so much else to say, so much that I will have to leave for later. But I want you to remember, that I am the same person today that I was yesterday.

Whenever you have questions or issues you feel you’re ready to discuss, please don’t hesitate to ask me. I want to be there for you, to help you through this, just as I hope you will be there for me.

I will always love you.

Your son,

Amila

P. S : Here are some links that would help you understand about this more. I will send the links by e mail so that you can just click on them and watch the videos and check the websites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdzki_JlyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzaglrUygs

This is a sermon by a pastor: Mama I think it would be good if you listened to all of this

Part 1-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPfql9A_vc

Part 2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIez3WErnfw

Part 3-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62T4czN8SY

Part 4-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv7EwO4f6G8

Part 5-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfprUmzNVI

Here are some websites you could go to and read more about other parents who have gay and lesbian (girls who are gay) children.

http://www.gayfamilysupport.com/

http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=194&srcid=-2

J

Joined in 2012
July 27, 2012, 06:15

Hey Amila 😀 that's an amazing letter. If there's anything I would change it would be this particular paragraph:

I realize you will have many thoughts and questions going through your head right now. Why is our son gay? What did we do to make him gay? Will he ever be happy? What will everyone else think? There are probably more questions but let me answer these ones for now, and please take as much time as you need to process all this. If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay. Take as much time as you need and ask many questions as you can, but in the end of the day there’s just one thing I’m asking from you. Accept me please.

I would reword it to something like this:

I realize you will have many thoughts and questions going through your head right now. Why is our son gay? What did we do to make him gay? Will he ever be happy? What will everyone else think? There are probably more questions but let me answer these ones for now, and please take as much time as you need to process all of this. If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay. Take as much time as you need and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions you may have.

Before I go any further, I want to share this with you. Ma, pa, know that I will always love you. My hope is that after this letter has been read, you guys can continue supporting, accepting and loving me unconditionally for who I am and what I believe in, just as you always have. Please know too that I am still the same person before and after you read this.

I included a second paragraph as it makes the letter flow a bit easier (as it builds up to the first thing you want your parents to know). It was just the last bit 'accept me please' in the paragraph which I personally felt may come across as a bit forced, rather than asking them to continue accepting, loving and supporting you as they always have – so I took it out completely and reworded it. I think parents need confirmation that they are doing the right thing for their child and this reworded paragraph comes across much easier in my opinion.

Other than that I wouldn't change a thing, that was a great letter Amila, well done ^_^

God bless,

~Jordan

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.141 seconds.