Forums

Need Some Advice

Page:   1 2 3 4

J

Joined in 2012
July 27, 2012, 06:45

Just visited Wezflash's site again for links, and I would add this one to your letter too – I just read some of the frequently asked questions on this site, and I think it would help your parents further:

http://www.familyacceptance.com/home.html

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 27, 2012, 11:17

Thanks for the input Jordan.. I did the changes to that paragraph and yeah I agree with you.. I guess it was to forced.. I also added in the site that you sent me..

What do u think of my plan?? agree disagree???

Thanks heaps πŸ™‚

Amila

J

Joined in 2012
July 27, 2012, 15:58

No worries πŸ˜€ and yup your plan sounds like a great one. I think it will give your parents time to soak it all in and discuss it amongst one another. Perhaps have your phone ready for any questions of theirs too. In this particular situation, I think It's good that you have some distance from them so that they can to come to terms with it all, and you also have your friend there to talk to when it's all happening, who can give you some guidance and support while it's all going on.

God bless you Amila, let us know how it goes and I will be praying for you!

~Jordan

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 28, 2012, 02:50

Okay… I will go ahead with that plan then.. now all ive gotta do it wait for the perfect time…God's time.. πŸ™‚

Thanks for your love and prayers..

God Bless

Amila

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 28, 2012, 16:18

Hi Amila

Well done for your letter.

Just a couple of suggestions from me…

It seems that you are expecting the worst response because of the way you repeatedly apologise and say things like:

I am still not ready for the overwhelming rejection I will inevitably face in the future,

Will you really receive an overwhelming rejection? Of course I don't know your family or live in your culture so you would know better than I would about that. However you may not receive such a negative response and it's good to also be open to that possibility. My concern is that by emphasising the negative possibility so much you may create it as a self fulfilling prophecy. Without meaning to, you may be directing others to respond as if this is disastrous news when in fact it's not. When we present ourselves with apology, we give others reason to feel sorry, uncomfortable or bad for us. However, when we present ourselves kindly or in a positive light, we help others also feel positive. They learn that we're OK and that being gay is also OK. Do you know what I mean?

I would also change where you say that most gay people end up suiciding. It would be more accurate to perhaps say that many gay people have at one time or other struggled with their sexuality, worried they wouldn't be accepted for being gay, and this is what has caused depression for some, even leading to suicide attempts for others. That said, I think it's best to steer clear of talking about others or of generalising because the most important thing is your experience and knowing that will help your parents and yourself.

Also, in this section with Jordan's bit added:

I realise you will have many thoughts and questions going through your head right now. Why is our son gay? What did we do to make him gay? Will he ever be happy? What will everyone else think? There are probably more questions but let me answer these ones for now, and please take as much time as you need to process all of this. If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay. Take as much time as you need and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions you may have.Before I go any further, I want to share this with you. Ma, pa, know that I will always love you. My hope is that after this letter has been read, you guys can continue supporting, accepting and loving me unconditionally for who I am and what I believe in, just as you always have. Please know too that I am still the same person before and after you read this."

I like what Jordan has added. I think it's important to stress that you are the same person as before and also good to ask for what you need – for your parents' acceptance and love.

I'd personally take out these parts:

but let me answer these ones for now, If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

jamesn

Joined in 2009
July 28, 2012, 17:28

Hi Amila

Yes, this is a tough issue. May be some times parents sense something intuitively even if they don't want to acknowledge it themselves at the time?

I shall of course pray for you.

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 28, 2012, 19:40

Ann Maree,

Thank you for the input.. I removed the sentence that you thought would be best without..I totally agree with you on the fact about creating a prophecy unknowingly that would eventually affect my parents outcome.. you have given me an idea to start declaring and claiming that my parents would be accepting and praying that prayer in Jesus name.. I will prophecy on my life that things will be okay.. Thank you so much πŸ™‚

Jamesn,

Thank you for you prayers… I really appreciate it.. πŸ™‚

May God Bless you..

Amila

J

Joined in 2012
July 28, 2012, 20:23

Hmmm, Ann Maree makes some great points. It may come across as a bit negative and/or a self fulfilling prophecy.

Will you really receive an overwhelming rejection? Of course I don't know your family or live in your culture so you would know better than I would about that.

Some do face overwhelming rejection, and I'm not trying to encourage a self fulfilling prophecy here or be negative, I would rather think of it being honest about the fact that it is indeed a possibility, because the LGBT community do face a lot more hatred from society than the average person. With that said however, I agree in that it could definitely be reworded in a more positive light (gosh – I wish I noticed that when I typed my coming out letter! :-/), perhaps something like this:

"I realize in today's society, people may not necessarily understand what it is like to be gay due to the lack of education on homosexuality, but know that I am confident in who I am, that there is nothing wrong with being gay, and I can tackle anything the world chucks at me."

That way it is confirming the fact that some people may not accept homosexuality (because in reality there are those who don't accept it), but it's also saying there's nothing wrong with it and everything is OK.

I agree on taking out the

but let me answer these ones for now, If you want me to stay clear for a few weeks, that is okay.

bit too.

God bless,

~Jordan

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 28, 2012, 20:33

Hi Amila

Just a few thoughts to add to the MANY good ones already on this thread.

Everybody reacts differently to this news…

and I have found people are often taken by surprise by the reactions of those closest to them.

There are no rules – but I have seen people react initially extremely well – and then struggle with the whole thing and tie themselves in knots over it and slowly build up anger etc. My father was like that (although eventually he worked it all out and is now very accepting – but it took a lot of time).

Others can be extremely shocked and even say things they dont mean or later regret but can work through the issue and become extremely supportive.

I've seen people rejected by their closest friends and siblings and others become much closer to the same (their closest friends and / or siblings)

So what Im trying to say is – no matter the initial reaction – and no matter how bad or hurtful it is – remember that sometimes people just need time and that people say things in shock and surprise they MAY not mean.

Remember we are here – and that time can change many things…..

Also I would say – just take your time about this and do it when YOU feel the time is right.

Good luck !

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 28, 2012, 21:12

Quote from PhillWall on July 28, 2012, 8:33 pm

Hi Amila

I've seen people rejected by their closest friends and siblings and others become much closer to the same (their closest friends and / or siblings)

So what Im trying to say is – no matter the initial reaction – and no matter how bad or hurtful it is – remember that sometimes people just need time and that people say things in shock and surprise they MAY not mean.

Remember we are here – and that time can change many things…..

Thank you so much ShadowBoxer… That is something that I came to understand very recently that we the LGBT had our whole lives to come to terms with this and our friends, families need time to really understand things.

My best friend had a hard time accepting me as we both always pushed each other to strive harder to please God.. and when I told him that I didnt wanna continue to try to change he instantly said alot of things that really hurt me.. but I prayed alot and asked God to help me thru that time which He did so lovingly… Today my bestfriend accepts me and said to me one day "if your parents kick you out, you can live at my place and if my parents dont agree we'll both move to an apartment and live there" its amazing to hear such assuring words from people who are very close and it hurts so much at the same time to receive hurtful comments from them initially..

I totally agree with you and will keep that in mind, when I come out to my parents…

Thank you all of you for being here for me and supporting me with your kind advice and loving prayers

God Bless you

Amila

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.082 seconds.