Forums

The Transsexaul Christian

Page:   1 2

Michele

Joined in 2008
February 25, 2008, 11:57

Hi

My name is Michele Brianna Rogers … but it was not always that. I was born in a small north Queensland town almost 36 years ago and given the name Michael Bruce (Yuk). Like most transsexuals I have never felt male … from my earliest memories I wanted to be and always felt female.

My family is Christian but not much for going to church though … I accepted Christ as my saviour when I was 14 and have been heavily involved myself in church life children’s ministries, church treasurer, elder. Got married at 29 and I am still married … my wife is just wonderful.

I tried to transition at 19-20 and was treated very badly … firstly by a psychiatrist and then through Counsellors I was sent to by the pastor of the church I was attending. Many people believe transsexuals chose the way we are or that we must have been treated badly as children because we want to transition from either M2F or F2M. The reality is we are born this way and in my case my innate gender is in fact female. Because of the intense psychotherapy trying to make me male I ended up with major depression, anxiety and was suicidal at one stage when I had a full breakdown. I was made to feel so much guilt and shame over my female feelings and emotions.

Finally through the courage of other transsexual ladies who got their stories out into the popular press I discovered that transsexualism was biological and my true gender is in fact female. My wife was ill at that stage so I couldn’t come out at least not publicly … it was at least 2-3 years before I could final start hormones.

When I came out I got mixed responses … my family were great and very supportive. My wife’s family were and still are mixed … her sisters are hot and cold saying their supportive but sometimes not showing it, her mum is trying to understand but her dad just hates me. My work colleagues and work friends have been great … but I lost all of my Christian friends none of them want anything to do with me. Not one bothered to find out the truth from me even though I did explain everything. Not one has asked what I believe to be true … they just judged and condemned me. It hurts as I thought they were real friends and it doesn’t seem to matter to them that all of my health problems have now gone. I had depression, anxiety plus I also experienced PMS (hot flushes, stomach and leg cramps, night sweats etc) symptoms since puberty … my female brain and endocrine system was causing my hormone levels to cycle the same as a natural born woman. As all the ladies out there can testify PMS is real and is not fun. I was not much fun to be around when that kick in and you could set you clock by it. As I got older it was getting worse too. I have since found out that there are other transsexual woman who have experienced PMS … I once shared this with a pastor friend who just yelled me.

My wife and I have faith in God but we are not welcome at our old churches to worship … well at least I am not … we would like to go back to a church but we have lost faith, not in God but in the organised church as we have been hurt so badly.

What is interesting is my wife didn’t like at first that I had to transition but she now loves me more as a woman then she ever did when I tried to live as a man. I am a lot easier to get along with much healthier and happier … that helps I think . Plus she gets to borrow my clothes. She gave me a beautiful bracelet for Valentines Day this year … she knows I love jewellery. This meant a lot to me as it was one her own bracelets and it had meant a lot to her personally … so for her to give to me meant a real a lot.

Like all transsexuals I have been through a lot of pain to get where I am and still have a long road ahead but for me (eg SRS this time next year) but at least I don’t have to pretend anymore.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
February 25, 2008, 12:26

Thank you so much for posting your story Michele, I know how scary it is to do. I am so encouraged by your strong faith and commitment to God dispite all the rough treatmeant you recieved at the hands of God’s people. I don’t want patronise you by saying I have any idea how you must have felt and continue to feel about your transsexualism and the church.

Please be assured however that you will recieve no judgement on F2b, it has no adgenda. I hope that you will find the encouragment and support we all need as Christians and I comend you again for your bravery.

Michele

Joined in 2008
February 25, 2008, 12:34

Thank you Sandy for your kind words.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
February 25, 2008, 13:14

Hi Michele, and welcome.

Over the last year or so though my work in human rights and anti-discrimination it’s become clear to me that transsexuals face a whole different set of issues that even gay and lesbian people don’t always understand very well. And certainly the wider community doesn’t.

It’s great to hear that your family and your wife have been able to give you love and support. A pity about the Christians – especially when, if anything, the evidence for the biological basis of transsexualism is BETTER than the evidence for homosexuality (well, my opinion anyway).

I hope that you find Freedom2b is a warm and supporting place.

– Trevor

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 25, 2008, 13:28

warm, genuine, caring, safe……yep….its a pretty special place Michelle and we try to keep it that way. you may have found out that there are plenty of other sites around with lots of angry people who are either venting on the christians or the GLBT community or gay christians. We respect peoples rights here to have thier own beliefs and we dont need to try to convert.

I really admire transgender people and have acutally had two as clients. One MTF and the other FTM. They taught me a lot.

Knowing the 28 year struggle I had to resolve my faith and my sexuality……i can only imagine the additional diffcutlies if you are born with a gender misplacement.

your wife sounds like a wonderful person. I guess she always had fallen in love with the person you were inside.

regarding the church. The enemy we fight is ignorance.

Even in our own GLBT community we have gay men and lesbians who are quite uniformed about transgender/transexuality issues.

Hope we get to hear more from you.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 25, 2008, 13:57

Hi Michele, thankyou for posting your story, so far Leece has been the only other woman who has posted with a journey such as yours, its really terrible how you get treated.

Im so happy that you do have supportive poeple around you and am amazed what a wonderful wife you have. I hope one day the church shows more compassion and understanding, Im sure there are some more out there than the ones we know.

I never knew that you actually go through pms as well even in your teens. Youre right tho, we all become dragon ladies at those times 😯 😉

Michele

Joined in 2008
February 25, 2008, 17:23

Wow … Thank you for your warm welcome. I probably should clarify one point and that is while I suffered PMS and I know a few other ladies that did also, not all transexual woman have … I suppose that stands to reason as not all natural born woman do either. My wife is much happier now that I get my hormones from a packet/bottle … as I must admit am I too. What was interesting is that my monthly cycle changed after I got married to coincide with hers … it was amazing we didn’t kill each other during that time of the month.

My wife Sharon is a terrific woman … I am fortunate to have a such a wonderful supportive wife. Not all TS woman have supportive partners many lose their partners when they come out and sometimes the parting is not that pleasant at all. I know of a few horror stories in that regard. So I count my blessings to have such a wonderful wife.

Yes I also know Leece … she is a terrific lady she gave me the link to this site via a post she made on the Australian Transsexual Support Network … she has helped me a lot in my transition and I only have the deepest admiration, respect and love for her. I was so happy to hear her share recently that she had finally found a loving supportive partner. She is quite a remarkable lady … I won’t steal her thunder and share all of her wonderful achievements … but I really think she is very couragous loving and caring lady with a great sense of humour.

Thanks again for all your lovely words of welcome … Sharon says hello and thank you also.

leece

Joined in 2007
February 25, 2008, 20:53

Hi Michele

good to see you have joined .

you are a truely wonderful women that has some much time for others .

love leece

Michele

Joined in 2008
February 25, 2008, 21:07

Thanks Leece … I am glad to be here too.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 26, 2008, 01:25

Yes Leece is quite a woman am so thankful we met 😀

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.102 seconds.