Forums

Tolerance within our schools

Page:   1 2

JazzyBoy

Joined in 2007
April 18, 2008, 19:29

As a teacher who has worked in schools for almost 15 years the thought has occurred to me that if we are to win the battle for tolerance and acceptance, then we must start in the Schools.

A recent national study by La Trobe university has shown what many teachers know from experience to be true, but are afraid to admit. Adolescents perceived as gay or lesbian are suffering alarming levels of abuse from fellow school students, including severe bashings and rape as reported inThe Age newspaper

However, overt physical violence is just the tip of the iceberg. Gay and lesbian adolescents or any teenagers whose sexual identity is uncertain face a number of challenges and barriers in the formation of a positive self-identity. Students whose homosexual orientation is self-discovered typically experience intense conflicts that are often the result of internalised and external homophobia. Those who hide their sexual orientation from others, spend vast amounts of energy monitoring their behaviour and interaction with others. These conflicts exact a heavy toll on the social and psychological health of the gay or lesbian adolescent.

That Australian schools have largely adopted a stance of ignoring or not acknowledging the issue of homosexuality is a dangerous course to take. There are considerable gains to be made by directing attention, funding and policy towards the needs of gay and lesbian students. Early intervention can be particularly effective as the social and mental health problems that many lesbian and gay adolescents experience are often the direct result of misinformation, isolation and discrimination.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 18, 2008, 21:40

A recent national study by La Trobe university has shown what many teachers know from experience to be true, but are afraid to admit. Adolescents perceived as gay or lesbian are suffering alarming levels of abuse from fellow school students…

Well, this is interesting, because my experience is radically different. Apart from the ‘that’s so gay’ phenomenon (which I don’t believe stems from prejudice anyway), there really is no percievable discrimination towards GLBTI people at my school. In fact, bullying as a whole is rather isolated and typically reserved only for those whose ability to interact socially is…shall we say…virtually non-existent.

Moreover, GLBTI people have a great many allies. Just today, my English class chose media topics on which to perform their Oral Presentation SAC, and there are at least three students (myself included) speaking on a GLBTI related issue. Also, practically all of the English department are female liberalists who are armed down to the teeth with every form of human rights argument known to man. 😆

In fact, (as I think I may have said somewhere once before), there actually seems to be more intolerance towards Christians than homosexuals* at my school. Whenever someone finds out I’m a Christian (a fact I’ve never hidden), you can feel as well as see the discomfort in their eyes, facial expression and body language. It’s like I all of a sudden turn into a Bible-toting redneck who loves nothing more than to damn everyone to Hell 🙄 .

Of course, I think everyone here can relate to this:

Those who hide their sexual orientation from others, spend vast amounts of energy monitoring their behaviour and interaction with others. These conflicts exact a heavy toll on the social and psychological health of the gay or lesbian adolescent.

So true.

* Incidently, this is the reason I’m doing a GLBTI issue. I’m focusing on whether or not the Church owes the gay community and apology for past mistreatment, with the 100 Revs as a starting point. Thusly, I can then say, “Well, hey, we’re not all bigots.”

sojourner

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 02:38

I think its very hard to make any kind of generalisations about the experiences of Gay guys/girls at high schools… At my school, those who were out experienced both extremes… On one hand they were surrounded by a huge social group of highly supportive individuals (oftentimes girls- aka, Fag Hags- lol, excuse my crude references)… but at the same time, for many of the blokey blokes, jocks, etc these poor guys would end up being the butt of most of their jokes…It must have been a really difficult experience for those guys… two hugely different experiences in the same environment – what concerned me a little with this was the fact that my school was quite a progressive state high school… I can’t imagine what it would be like for any gay guys at the local boys high school… Your school Shantih sounds kind of utopic!- but it all goes to show how hard it is to pin down one common experience for Gay students…

I don’t know if this was just my observation at my school or if it has a more broad application… but I often found that the lesbians experienced a very different kind of treatment from people- the guys would often shy away from criticising them (maybe they we’re just afraid they’d get bashed up… some of those girls we’re pretty fiesty:P).. and the girls in general seemed much more open-minded about most issues, so felt reasonably comfortable accepting them…

But I definately agree with what your saying Shantih… As a fairly visible Christian at my high school- it would depend on the individual- but quite often people had very little time for me as a Christian- though I have to say, in retro-spect I think some of my more overzealous actions probably didn’t help this… For instance the time I told my best friend that he would go straight to the fiery pit because of his hinduism … needless to say, we didn’t stay friends long, and since then I’ve stumbled upon an amazing concept know as tactfulness…

Chris

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 05:44

I think a big factor in some schools seeming to have a more tolerant atmosphere towards homosexual students than others is the area in which the schools are in. ie: how conservative the general population is….At least this is a big factor in the states. I know in the shcool I went to, if i would have been “openly gay” there would have been some serious harassment. Im sure the same would go for students going to highschool in the “Bible Belt” in the southern states.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 06:57

As the resident primary school/elemenatary teacher I can shed light on the topic both from a gay and an education POV. LOL hope I’m not overselling this!

As a gay man, I can relate to the bullying side of it. High school was torturous for me, what with name calling, beatings, teasing, wanting to be invisible but that not being possible being over 6ft tall by the age of 14. Added on top of this the realisation that I was gonna rot in Hell when I died over something I couldn’t change, its a miracle I’m still here to be honest

As an educationalist, I do agree that tolerance of difference – whether its race, gender, religion or sexual orientation – HAS to be taught from a young age, and I’m talking pre-school age. At university, we have learnt about the Sex and Relationship Education programme taking place in the Netherlands, we saw a video of a class Health lesson for 5-6 year olds where they discussed the terms ‘homosexual’ and ‘lesbian’ and what those terms meant and what made the people who were called them different. IT WAS AMAZING! Obviously there were some giggles but the teacher handled it amazingly! The success of the programme is clear when you see that statistics from the Netherlands show a low number of teen pregnancies, a higher average age for losing their virginity etc. Compare that with Scotland where everyone has had sex by 14 and the highest teen pregnancy rate in EUROPE!

Something is wrong here people! Wake Up!

LOL that’s my rant over!

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 09:03

…and since then I’ve stumbled upon an amazing concept know as tactfulness…

Ah, yes – that. I don’t think I was ever as forward as saying that someone will be damned to Hell, but I certainly remember my younger years – when I thought everyone had to know about my faith and what I believed. I must have made such a fool of myself at times… 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 19, 2008, 09:25

Thank God, Im not the only one then 😆 Over zealous is a very soft word for how I was LOL.

I even believed any drop of liquor was a sin, I was so critical and judgemental 🙄

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 19, 2008, 11:32

I attended the “thats so gay” conference here in Sydney on Wednesday.

http://news.theage.com.au/nsw-to-eradicate-homophobia-in-schools/20080417-26o2.html

the most recent research shows that while there have been improvements in many areas, school is still the most unsafe space for GLBT students.

You can go to the resources section of our forum and at the bottom of the page click on the link for the latest research.

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3054

jenaz

Joined in 2007
April 25, 2008, 20:52

How was the conference Anthony?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 26, 2008, 13:38

the conference was excellent. Although the Telegraph, in typical sensationalist style, reported that it proposed to drop all gender titles in schools such as Mum & Dad.

MUM AND DAD BAN – Gay bid to change behaviour in class

Exclusive
…the headline read.

Teachers are being urged to stop using terms such as husband and wife when addressing students under a major anti-homophobia push in schools. The terms boyfriend, girlfriend and spouse are also on the banned list – to be replaced by the generic “partner” – in changes sought by the gay lobby aimed at reducing discrimination in classrooms.

I was there. No such proposal was made. thank god media watch exposed the sham. Shame on the Telegraph for beating up public outrage and inciting people against gays and lesbians for sake of selling papers.

I hate the lack of integrity that exists in much of the Australian media. as they say…..’don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story’

you can read the transcript and watch the video here.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2223389.htm

Make sure you get to the next conference….they are always great Jenaz

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.