Forums

What moral framework exists for the gay person?

Page:   1 2

JJ

Joined in 2009
November 27, 2009, 23:55

As I believe the Bible is pretty silent on homosexual orientation as we understand it today, how does the gay Christian live their life when there appears to be only a vague moral framework in place for them? It’s pretty clear on how heterosexuals should approach relationships, marriage and sex… but obviously not so much the case for the gay person.

Trying to work out how my being gay is compatible as a Christian… how to practically apply that to my life…

– When is the line of sexual purity crossed?

– At what point can the gay christian explore sex?

– Is there an equivalent of marriage?

Discuss!

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 28, 2009, 02:01

I believe God treats gay and straight people equally. Therefore, any standard which applies to straight relationships must also be applied to gay relationships. I’m probably more conservative than most people on here, but here’s what I say. Lust is a sin and to me, that is the first point where the line of sexual purity is crossed. Secondly, I believe all Christians, whether straight or gay should wait until marriage to have sex, UNLESS marriage is unavailable in their area, in which case, they should have something as close to marriage as possible. They must treat their relationship like a marriage even if the government does not. And is their equivalent of marriage? Certainly. Is it 100% the same, I’d say no. I do think that in certain ways heterosexual marriage does surpass homosexual marriage (procreation and the symbolism of Christ/church and husband/wife found in Ephesians), but in the majority of ways, they are exactly the same. That’s what I think anyway. I’m sure the others on here will have different opinions.

JJ

Joined in 2009
November 28, 2009, 08:49

I believe God treats gay and straight people equally. Therefore, any standard which applies to straight relationships must also be applied to gay relationships. I’m probably more conservative than most people on here, but here’s what I say. Lust is a sin and to me, that is the first point where the line of sexual purity is crossed. Secondly, I believe all Christians, whether straight or gay should wait until marriage to have sex, UNLESS marriage is unavailable in their area, in which case, they should have something as close to marriage as possible. They must treat their relationship like a marriage even if the government does not. And is their equivalent of marriage? Certainly. Is it 100% the same, I’d say no. I do think that in certain ways heterosexual marriage does surpass homosexual marriage (procreation and the symbolism of Christ/church and husband/wife found in Ephesians), but in the majority of ways, they are exactly the same. That’s what I think anyway. I’m sure the others on here will have different opinions.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Great answer.

I withheld my own opinions in my first post cos I wanted to see what others honestly believed.. I’m pretty much on the same page as you. I have always intended on approaching my sexual ethics as a gay man the same way I would if I were in a straight relationship. Over time I’ve come to believe however that perhaps straight/gay relationships aren’t necessarily the same in every capacity (as you highlighted)… its hard trying to work out what that then means..

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
November 28, 2009, 13:32

JJ, this was also discussed at our Freedom2b[e] Sydney Chapter meeting in July this year. I’ve included the topic thread below, as well as another one that is relevant to your question;

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3941

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864

JJ

Joined in 2009
November 28, 2009, 15:41

JJ, this was also discussed at our Freedom2b[e] Sydney Chapter meeting in July this year. I’ve included the topic thread below, as well as another one that is relevant to your question;

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3941

[url=http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864

]http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864

Thanks for sharing – had a good read 🙂

davidt

Joined in 2009
November 28, 2009, 21:41

I agree pretty much with getting there. When we are Christians, it should make a real difference. Promiscurity is wrong whether a person is gay or straight. Intimacy should be within the confines of marriage for life whether it is gay or straight.

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
November 28, 2009, 22:33

ditto to getting there and JJ

Nick

Joined in 2007
November 28, 2009, 23:20

I’m probably a conservative in this topic myself so I agree with the points raised, but in saying that I also dont want to judge others for having a different opinion. I dont go to saunas or beats but I’m not going to judge others that do.

I have a question: do you think that sometimes we use our homosexuality (and the not-so clear definitions of these boundaries within a homosexual relationship) as an excuse to justify to ourselves and give self permission to perform actions that may not be acceptable if you are straight? Should the standard be different for gays and straight when God sees us the same?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 29, 2009, 16:49

we have been told so long that gay men and lesbians are moral reprobates that many have come to believe it…..the same as gay relationships don’t last.

some of us are myth busters.

‘my morality is a choice……my sexual orientation however isn’t’

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 29, 2009, 16:52

hey JJ……why dont you tell your story in the ‘telling our stories’ section…..always great to know more about peoples background if you feel comfortable with that.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.