Forums

Born again gay lawyer, 35, seeks church

Page:   1 2 3 4

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
March 24, 2009, 01:21

I was baptized at the age of 10 as an Anglican. My parents waited until I was old enough to choose my own religious faith sooner than force it on me. They were small “c” Christians, believing that refraining from criminal activity was sufficient proof of one’s Christianity.

I was educated at a Presbyterian school, and took comfort from God without truly knowing him. It was a drab style of worship. No sacraments. Lethargic hymns sung to a pipe organ. Presbyterianism is the beige cardigan of religions whereas Pentecostal, I would now say, is the technocoloured dream coat.

I went to an all boys military school. I was sexually active with classmates from primary school. Around the time of my baptism, I read in the Websters Unabridged Dictionary that homosexuality was a phase of pre-pubescence which would pass. I prayed I would grow out of it in the same breath as I prayed that God would give me hairs on my testicles. He obliged in relation to the latter request only.

I spent my 20s studying law part time at university whilst working full time in stressful corporate environments. I fell from one unfulfilling relationship to another. Men treated me like crap, only wanting sex when I wanted to emulate my parents’ marriage, so the relationships invariably failed and left me bitter. I grew apart from God, and sought meaning in witchcraft and the occult. I was scared off when I would wake up each night with a little black hooded devil, quite literally, sitting on my chest, pinning me to the bed, cackling. And so if you ever doubted he exists, please don’t. I’ve met him.

I developed depression and anxiety, and needed pills and shrinks. I grew into alcoholism and, for a brief time, drug dependence. Life sucked.

7 years ago, at age 28, I prayed to my estranged God to show me the way forward. Very soon after, I met my current partner, who has brought me joy and peace every day since. I then ended my career as a well paid corporate executive, and entered private practice as a legal aid lawyer. I took a huge pay cut, but started a life of battling for the underdog, although it took a few years for me to realise that Christ was growing within me, and me within Him. The power of prayer is immense.

Last Easter, I turned a corner in my faith. I sought God out in a Presbyterian church and invited him into my life. I begged him to release me from my remaining addictions, alcohol and cigarettes, and promised to reward him with faith and service. I have not drunk for a year, since Easter Sunday 2008. For some months now, I have been a non smoker. Through prayer, I have had no cravings for either vice and am never even tempted.

I have accepted and loudly proclaim Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. I have a Christian fish bumper sticker and wear a cross around my neck. I start every day as a lawyer by praying for my clients, and for complete strangers for that matter. I recently prayed for the survivors of a fatal car accident near my home, and within a few weeks the man who lost his wife and daughter just happened to become a client. God brought him to me so that I can go the extra mile, and provide comfort as well as legal services. I’m sure many of you will have found this as well, but now that I work with God, God works with me.

Unlike so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ, I have come to God organically and not through any particular church. This presents a challenge and dilemma all in one. Which church should I embrace? To whom should I tithe and with whom should I minister? All churches are open for consideration, and I am working my way through them. In the mean time, I’m worshiping in the Uniting Church, which is perhaps a brightly coloured cardigan, but a cardigan nevertheless.

In my journey to find my place in the body of Christ, God led me to a pastor in a local Pentecostal church. I enjoy fervent worship at this type of church on occasion, but would never have considered making it my church because I know they reject GLBT folks. However, the Spirit told me to email this pastor, who I will call “Bob”, telling him I am openly gay and asking whether his church would embrace me with dignity and respect. Bob responded with warmth, asking me to visit him at the church to talk, which I did yesterday. He asked me to explain how I reconcile homosexuality with the Bible, which I managed to do most eloquently as the Holy Spirit surged purposefully within me. Bob showed me great concern and warmth, but confirmed with regret the church’s official position. He encouraged me to worship there, but warned me I would be shunned by members if I let my sexuality be known.

And then the hand of God revealed itself. Choking back tears, Bob shared how his family has been rocked by his brother’s homosexuality and how much pain has been caused from the friction with the church. Bob’s brother has recently abandoned his faith and turned from God because of the church’s attitude and treatment of him. I have passed to Bob a useful article I have found which seeks to reconcile Christianity and homosexuality. I am planning to give him also a copy of Anthony’s autobiography. Bob has made it clear that he wants ongoing fellowship with me, irrespective of where I choose to worship.

I’m now a bit confused and seeking further guidance through prayer. It seems mad for a gay man to choose to be Pentecostal. In fact it is so crazy, it sounds like the sort of thing only Jesus Himself could possibly ever come up with.

(996 words)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 24, 2009, 06:18

congrats on the 996 words Pentatropics…..you’ve done well. And of course it is an easy read. We’ve found that the stories that go over 1000 generally speaking people stop reading.

I find your story interesting as it shows once again the levels of change that are happening. Whilst the pastor has not endorsed you as such he has shown a spirit of compassion and found someone he can talk to about his estranged brother.

When I did an interview on 2UE radio here in Sydney there was a reconciliation between Glenn Wheeler the presenter and his gay brother. you can see him speak about that on youtube if you like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMo0UHpbQ4

I’d encourage you to continue the dialogue with said pastor……who knows what level of trust may develop between you both.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
March 24, 2009, 08:00

Welcome Pentatropics 😀

It seems mad for a gay man to choose to be Pentecostal. In fact it is so crazy, it sounds like the sort of thing only Jesus Himself could possibly ever come up with.

LOL sounds like a Jesus thing agreed, throw something in the mix that will baffle and disrupt comfort zones like he did with the over religious Jews 😉

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 24, 2009, 20:19

Welcome to Freedom2b[e] Pentatropics. Hope to hear more of your journey of faith on this forum 🙂

I was in Cairns late last year. It’s certainly a great spot. Had a great time.

Glad you have found a career that you are passionate about …

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
March 24, 2009, 21:55

Warm thanks to each of you guys for your welcomes and I look forward to sharing more of my faith journey with you.

Anthony, I will stay in touch with the pastor in my story and indeed I am praying for him, his congregation and of course, his brother.

Blessings

Pentatropics

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
March 24, 2009, 22:10

Oh – and AVB – that was an amazing and emotional clip. Incredible how the brave and courageous things we dare to do can have ripple effects through healing the lives of others. Thanks for sharing, Pentatropics.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 25, 2009, 04:34

I think all we need to do is tell our stories with honesty and openess……minus blaming, accusing or resentment. Sharing our journeys this way is powerful

orfeo

Joined in 2007
March 27, 2009, 17:23

Oh my. Exactly how many born again gay lawyers aged 35 ARE there in this country??

– orfeo/Trevor, aged 35…

axiom

Joined in 2009
March 30, 2009, 08:49

quite a few- I know 3 in Canberra and I don’t think you are any of the 3 I know!

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 17, 2009, 22:35

Hi everyone

Just wanting to post a bit of an update on my progress and maybe get some advice.

As I have previously recounted, I found a pentecostal church in Cairns where the pastor has a gay brother. And yet he said he could not “journey” with me for so long as I stayed in my relationship, which I made clear was sexual. He basically advised me to find another church because his congregation would be hostile to me and he could not stand up for me as it is against scripture.

And I recently posted (in Rivers’ thread telling his story) the following update:

“Your coming out email to pastors, which they may or may not remember, is EXACTLY where I am at with a local AoG church. My intial email a few months ago essentially asked whether they were gay-affirming (perhaps naiively), and the senior pastor’s response was clear as mud – i.e. “come in for coffee and we will discuss your concerns”.

This is like my 4th pentecostal church in Cairns and it seems to be the right one for me – however (foolishly perhaps) I did send an email many weeks ago in which I outed myself. I spoke to him briefly tonight but other people were around. He has asked me to have coffee with him this week. I feel he knows it was me in that email. I expect he wants to talk about my relationship – preach about turning from sin.

Without wanting to get too personal, my situation is that my relationship is largely platonic with occasional sex (maybe once a month). In some ways I might as well be celibate. I really just want to tell this pastor my relationship is celibate and about love and companionship, and that I am not acting sexually on my same sex attraction. That should pretty much solve the problem as far as I understand AoG doctrine.

I need advice. Is it morally acceptable to tell the pastor (God’s Minister!) I am celibate when in fact I am not, where my motivation is to avoid conflict and contribute to church life with a view to revisiting the debate once the pastor has come to know (and hopefully to trust) me? Surely my sex life is between me and God and it is enough I am honest about the gender of my partner without being accountable to the pastor for my sex life!

I’d really appreciate comments / suggestions.

God bless

Ryan

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.06 seconds.