Forums

Chase Lesbian 19 *Finding Faith*

Page:   1 2 3 4

iamthenormal

Joined in 2009
August 9, 2009, 21:23

Heya,

My name is Chase, I’m 19. I like reading, watching television, surfing the web, kitties and shoes. Oh, and I’m also a lesbian :p I’ve thought a little about what I’m going to say here, hopefully it’s interesting enough ^_^. I was born in 1990, in Brisbane. I grew up in a little two outside of Brisbane, some people will know Dayboro, the majority will not. For those who don’t know Dayboro, let’s just say was a very small town when I was living there. I do remember though that when I was ten or so, a young man decided to come out-he was physically assaulted and harassed. He eventually moved into Brisbane City. This is where I grew up. My parents moved our family to inner-Brisbane in 2003, when I was 13. It was also around this time they decided we should shift to London for a working holiday. We lived in inner-London for about 6 months; I went to school there while they worked. After the first six months we travelled through Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Switzerland, France and Spain. It was while we were living in London that our neighbours encouraged me to read the Bible, go on Bible camps with their youngest daughter, and go to Church with them. I found that Christianity made sense to me; I felt a part of something bigger than just myself. My own family is not religious in the slightest; my mother was baptised as a member of the Church of England, while my father’s family is Roman Catholic. I can remember going to Church with my mother when my sister and I were younger, but as we became older this practise dropped off. When we returned to Brisbane I attended the same Catholic school that my father and sister had been to. It was in returning to Brisbane that I was diagnosed with panic disorder, which means that occasionally I will have severe panic attacks. I don’t know what they are triggered by. I’m out at uni, only because they have a sweet Queer Collective there, one of the only functioning Collectives in Brisbane 😉 I’m out to most of my friends. Although I think my family are aware, I’m not going to tell them. I don’t feel that’s a part of my life I’m happy to share with them yet, only because they have made statements in the past that make me feel like they wouldn’t accept this part of me. “I hope you and your sister aren’t lesbians because I want you to lead normal lives”-quote my mother. For a period of time I was entertaining the idea of getting married and having children, just to make them happy. I realise now that while it’s important to me what they think, it’s ultimately my life and I’m going to do what makes me happy (Whew, tangent :p). When I realised I was/am a lesbian I turned my back on what faith I had, I guess I just felt that the two were incompatible with each other. Recently I moved in with another lesbian, and it surprised me that she goes to Church and is really involved with her community’s events. I’m pretty sure that’s the kind of community I’d like to be a part of. So although Christianity still confuses me (I feel the whole thing is really complicated) I have a strong feeling that it’s something I would like to become part of my life again.

Anyhow, I hope this wasn’t too boring/long for you to read :p

I look forward to getting to know everyone ^_^

Chase

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 9, 2009, 22:25

hey Chase…..so great to have your share that with us.

I didn’t find it boring or too long at all.:D 😀 😀

I’m sure many parents will come to regret ignorant comments they’ve made in front of their children……which in the end encourages secrecy and deception instead of openness and honesty. I’m sure in the latter is really what they want and not the former.

Hope to hear more from you.

it must have been wonderful to have done all that travel early in your life. I’m sure there would be many in Dayboro who possibly haven’t been to sydney let alone the other side of the world like you have.

BTW…..it takes some time to sort out the spiritual and sexuality thing. I think you are doing well.

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
August 9, 2009, 22:30

my mother has thrown similar comments my way. not so much about not wanting her sons to be gay, but more along the lines of her just expecting a family, kids, wife, the whole package. I know she would actually be totally accepting if i told her I was gay. But i dont want to snuff her dreams as well. hmm, its hard to live your own life, let alone the one others want you to live.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 9, 2009, 22:51

little does she know at this stage that the most wonderful gift you can give her is being true to yourself and living a happy life……and that will come from being authentic.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
August 10, 2009, 00:19

Hi Chase! (Awesome name by the way).

If you think your post was too long you should read mine, or Anthony’s for that matter. You’re far more susinct. Hardly any rambling at all, very impressive. 😆 😆

Sometimes, people don’t give a whole lot of thought to what they say and they certainly don’t realise the impact it can have. This is comming from a girl who burst into hysterical laughter when her father came out. Trust me, I know. I hope that if/when you do come out your parents they will use it as an oppitunity to broaden their horizons.

Okay, speaking of tangents, here is another one: Since you like books, have you read anything by Julie Ann Peters? She writes lesbian fiction for teens and while my teens are sadly past I was reading one of her books recently and thought it was amazing. Usually “teen fiction” is the condesending version of adult fiction but this isn’t the case here and I’m curious to know if she has any other fans out there.

Also, feel free to browse and take part in our discussion section and all the rest of them too if you’d like. We always welcome fresh meat…I mean people… 😆 😆 😆

iamthenormal

Joined in 2009
August 10, 2009, 08:26

I haven’t read anything of hers, I’m more a random selection cheap OP shop book reader :p I don’t think I’ve ever bought a new book. The only lesbian fiction I’ve read is a few books I got in a second hand store in Sydney when I was on schoolies. -=Man, I love Sydney so much=-

I shall look into it though ^_^ Thanks for the recommendation.

iamthenormal

Joined in 2009
August 10, 2009, 08:30

It’s hilarious, because I went back to Dayboro a few years ago. Nothing has changed in the five or so years I’ve been away. A different coloured fence here and there…but nothing major. People who lived there when I was young still live there. It’s like stepping into some freaky time warp.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 10, 2009, 13:53

If you think your post was too long you should read mine, or Anthony’s for that matter. You’re far more susinct. Hardly any rambling at all, very impressive. Laughing Laughing

Is mine over the 1,000 word limit..:oops: …I’ll have to check it out. BTW…..my story is one of the least read on the forum….:cry: ….I wonder why that would be…. 😆 😆 😆 😆

iamthenormal

Joined in 2009
August 10, 2009, 13:56

🙁 I shall have to read it. I have some idea of what it’ll say though…I have read your book :p

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
August 10, 2009, 21:05

Hey Chase. It’s awesome to see another teenager on here. 🙂 I love your story, if you ever want to talk, especially about matters of Christian faith (since I go to a Christian school and take Bible classes every year) that’d be beyond awesome. Let me tell you, I remember my experience of when I realized I was gay. The chronology is a bit fuzzy, but I think that I recognized that I was attracted to guys first (which was blatantly obvious) without any label. Once I realized that being attracted to guys made me ‘homosexual’ and thought about what I had been taught by the church, it was as though a huge burden came on me. But over time, I came to believe that God loves me as I am and the burden lifted. Why God decided to be gracious to me and show me this when so many others in similar situations end up committing suicide or living lives of misery, I don’t know, but God decided to show me special grace and I am forever thankful. The journey of reconciling faith and sexuality is not simple, but I think you are an interesting case in that you left the faith instead of doing what many others do which is attempt to leave their sexuality. But I am glad that you are trying to bring back your faith and I would love to help you in any possible way.

I am looking forward to getting to know you better. 🙂

BTW, juice does not count as dinner in my book. 😉

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.