Forums

Coming Out - Why - When - How

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 6, 2008, 14:38

Thanks, John. I certainly don’t want to go back into the closet once I’m out, but I am somewhat concerned that if a great deal of progress is not made in the coming years towards GLBTI acceptance in the Christian community, I may be forced to in order to attend a Bible college. Otherwise, if all goes according to plan (shut up, Robert Burns), I’ll be out by the end of the week; there are just a couple of things I need to do first.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 7, 2008, 09:12

Mark my words…..it WILL change……the fact that we are here shows that change is happening. The question is not ‘if’…but ‘when’

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 10, 2008, 18:55

It’s done.

Too early to tell how people really feel, though. Mum says she doesn’t know whether she can agree with me, but she hasn’t seen the site yet; Dad seems upset, but hasn’t said anything so far; and my friends were surprised, but otherwise don’t care.

Just goes to show that no matter how perceptive you are, and no matter how well you know someone, they can still surprise you. Mum is dealing much, much better than I thought, but Dad has gone all quiet and introspective as he does when he’s thinking or ticked off. [shrugs] Well, I was way off, wasn’t I? 🙂

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 10, 2008, 19:51

Wow William, that was a big step. Mums are usually pretty good in most cases. How are you doing? was it a relief or still too early to say!!

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 10, 2008, 20:20

That depends on what part of the day you’re refering to 😉 . At the moment, I’m doing well – I’m relieved and at peace – but earlier I was up and down constantly.

See, the way it happened was that I gave the letter to Mum when she dropped me off at school in the morning, and instucted her to open it with Dad when she got home. I then went to school (naturally) with the intention of telling my friends at recess. So with those two things hanging over my head for the first two periods I was driven to absolute distraction – I sat in my classes for a total of 95 minutes unable to do anything much at all beyond worry and stress.

But then, at recess, I came out to my friends…and all of a sudden a huge weight was lifted from me and I felt so relieved just to have got it out in the open. For the first time all week I could concentrate on my school work, and actually do something productive (irony of ironies, the next class I had was maths, so I wasn’t doing anything productive anyway 😉 😆 ).

Of course, what goes up must come down, as they say, so it was practically a given that towards the end of the day I started to get worked up again at the prospect of facing my parents, and was right back to square one when I got into the car and saw my Father sitting there* in his tell-tale quiet mood. At that point I just thought, “*expletive*, if this is what Dad’s like, Mum’s not gonna be happy…”

But when I got home she greeted me at the door with a smile and everything was okay again.

So I’ve had a bit of an emotional day, and I’m still…anticipating…Dad’s full reaction with a bit of dread; but overall I’m doing well, and I feel very relieved that the worst is done with now, thank you for asking 🙂 .

* Usually my parents would be at work, but they both took time off this week, which was part of the reason I chose today to come out.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 10, 2008, 22:52

brave step william……good on you. its trying for everyone concerned.

thinking of you buddy.

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 11, 2008, 02:22

GO WILLIAM, GO WILLIAM!! ITS YO BIRTHDAY, ITS YO BIRTHDAY!!!

……. wait, well, not really your birthday, but I still just gave you the ghetto fabulous cheer…… RAIS’N THE ROOF!!! OOOO! OOOO!

LOL!!! 😆 😆

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!! 😀

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 11, 2008, 10:28

You did well, very well 😀 It is the best feeling when the weight goes hey 😉 Thanks for sharing all this with us too, I know you are helping us all and those yet to come 😀 You are already ministering and you havent even done Bible College yet, how cool is that!!!! 😉

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 11, 2008, 19:07

Actually, funny you should mention that John, because it was my birthday on Tuesday 😆 . Yeah…I’ve had a busy week…

Anyway, thank you, Anthony, John and Mags. I don’t know whether you could say I’m actually ministering – more like…making rash decisions and hoping everything will turn out okay 😆 .

No…I have prayed about this a lot over the last weeks and I think this was the right, God-condoned move. Time will tell, eh?

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 11, 2008, 20:16

Happy Birthdayyyyyyyyyyyyy William 😀 😀 Star city here we come 😉 😆

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.094 seconds.