Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 11, 2008, 20:24

LOL! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Good call, Mags. πŸ˜€

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 26, 2008, 16:00

hows things been william with the family since you came out….when you have time…give us an update

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 26, 2008, 17:09

Ha! “…when you have time…” you say, like you don’t know I spend most of it on here or GCN anyway… πŸ˜†

(In light of which I probably should have done this earlier. I suppose I was waiting for something to happen…)

The thing is, however, that I’d be more than willing to give an update…if there was anything to update on.

Since I came out – and I kid you not – I have spent a grand total of…perhaps…15 minutes talking about it with my parents. On the day (now over two weeks ago), Mum spoke to me very briefly, saying very little except that she still loves me (even though she doesn’t think she can agree with me about homosexuality not being sinful). Dad actually spoke to me about a week ago, too, and said some things that…well, without using expletives…made me a little peeved.

Other than that, they’ve treated me exactly the same way they used to. If it weren’t for their brief talks with me I might think they didn’t read the letter at all! πŸ™„ πŸ˜€

Although…both of them did mention that the other was upset – even if neither of them showed it. So who knows, this could just be the calm before the storm…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 26, 2008, 17:41

first step in acceptance of sexual orientation for us…….and often those close to us we divulge to, is denial. Sounds like they could be in stage one.

Denial doesn’t sound like much of a step………but its the only the beginning. They must be processing.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
April 28, 2008, 22:25

You may be right there, Anthony. When I spoke to Dad he did imply at one stage that he thought it might be a phase I’m going through…but then again, he also said that he’s ‘known’ about it for “…a long time.” πŸ™„

It’s a little more difficult to tell with Mum, though – she doesn’t wear her heart on her sleeve like my father does – but denial certainly sounds probable.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 29, 2008, 14:15

have a look at this I wrote for a paper I presented last year. First of all see your own steps………then look and see how it might be similar for a parent or partner to go through the same journey

THE PROCESS OF RESOLUTION

Let me take you through the process that I went through. Its not the same for everyone but like Elizabeth Kubler Ross’ process of grieving, most people pass through each stage at some time no matter how briefly. Problems develop when people become stuck in one place and can’t move on.

1. Denial (I’m not gay, I was drunk, I’m bisexual, I was just horny, it’s just a stage, I was just experimenting).

2. Rejection (I can change it, I can overcome it)

3. Suppression (I can control it, monitor it, it’s my secret, no one need know)

4. Hatred (this thing is too strong for me, I hate my gayness, therefore I hate myself)

5. Acceptance (Healthy & unhealthy). It’s wonderful that so many young people today are coming out and accepting their homosexuality. There is also a group, like I was for years, who have accepted their sexuality but only reluctantly. They would prefer to be heterosexual and as long as that remains in their thinking, they can never fully embrace their true selves and enjoy the sense of freedom that brings. They exist with a subconscious belief that life is unfair, they still live with a sense of shame and some believe they will inevitably go to hell because they gave in to their homosexuality.

6. Celebration (I love being gay). This is the beginning of living a life of authenticity and congruence. The person who celebrates and embraces their sexuality lives a powerful life that transforms those around them because no one can deny what you have………a wholesome and profound love of self.

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 30, 2008, 02:07

OMG THAT IS RIGHT ON THE NOSE ANTHONY!!!!! BINGO! πŸ˜‰

rediscoveringme

Joined in 2008
November 7, 2008, 21:46

Woh… where am I in all of this?

Quite obviously I was stuck at ‘suppression’ for the last 20years… do not ask me how managed that!! LOL

This week my wife and I had a tense discussion (read arguement) and afterwards I advised her that I was going away for a few days (which I did) because I said there was a risk that I would end up hating this ‘thing’. i.e. STEP 4.

I came back feeling much better.

In quiet, quiet moments I am very accepting of my sexuality but at the same time I am going through an intense and painful mourning process for my marriage… so really…. perhaps I am just going too fast?

When all is very still …deep down in my core… I sense a healthy acceptance… the trick will be to make it grow and stick.

You know what motivates me thought all of this….. my kids?

Just thinking out loud here….does anyone read this?

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 8, 2008, 00:23

Woh… where am I in all of this?

Quite obviously I was stuck at ‘suppression’ for the last 20years… do not ask me how managed that!! LOL

This week my wife and I had a tense discussion (read arguement) and afterwards I advised her that I was going away for a few days (which I did) because I said there was a risk that I would end up hating this ‘thing’. i.e. STEP 4.

I came back feeling much better.

In quiet, quiet moments I am very accepting of my sexuality but at the same time I am going through an intense and painful mourning process for my marriage… so really…. perhaps I am just going too fast?

When all is very still …deep down in my core… I sense a healthy acceptance… the trick will be to make it grow and stick.

You know what motivates me thought all of this….. my kids?

Just thinking out loud here….does anyone read this?

I did. πŸ™‚

Don’t worry about how long it takes, life is not a race. Actually learning the lesson is more important than the time it takes to learn it. It would be better to spend a year learning something and actually learn it than to spend a minute learning it and not actually learn it as it was meant to be learned. You are allowed to take a long time and you are allowed to make mistakes.

I can’t even begin to understand what kind of pain you must be going through. But I hope you are comforted in knowing that we here will always be available to give you words of encouragement or advice when you need them. I’m sure that some of the wiser and more experienced members of our little community here will be able to offer you much better words than I can. But I can tell you what I do know and those are the principles I see in the Bible – that God’s love and acceptance is available for everyone and that ‘everyone’ includes you. πŸ™‚

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 8, 2008, 07:24

I hear you for sure and agree with gettingthere……A great thing is, is that at the core of it you have peace, thats an achievment to be in a place like that as it is, there are so many uncertainties in life but at least if you in yourself have solid certainties, its more possible to get through the other stuff.

Its also great having certainties of where your love and acceptance comes from, affirming the peace you feel inside already, I guess the reason why such groups like this is important and also in helping people reach a place of inner peace to start with.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.