Forums

Do Parent's "Come Out" ??

Page:   1 2 3 4

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 31, 2011, 16:37

Hi Mother Hen

Thinking of you as you wait and lauding your courage no matter what the response.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 2, 2011, 08:23

Well I got some feedback, brother rang Wed night and said he was all cool with it, no issues, not surprised but hadn’t thought my son was gay, so all as I expected from my brother, knew he would be good about it all. 🙂

Also got a couple of brief emails from my mum, (all on the same day, my brother rang) she wanted to reply quickly as she hadn’t checked the email in a few days and didn’t want to keep me waiting. First one she hadn’t read all the letter just the first few lines. She just wanted to let me know that they loved my son, their grandson and always will and her heart goes out to us all.

2nd quick email she obviously sent after reading the whole letter which was very late at night. Saying “As you anticipated I am at a loss at this time as to what to say, except to say that I am really grieved that you should have suffered any more pain in your life and to reaffirm that we will always love our grandson and know what kind of lovely boy he is. I confess at this time to being very sad” Have to remember the place where she is coming from with their views and beliefs on the subject. Thought this was quite a step for her.

So in all a good start, all needs time to sink in a bit with my mum, pleased she said how much they loved their grandson. I will get more real feedback on her response when she gets to send a longer email, they are now in an area with no internet reception.

I am feeling a little revealed, at the same time, my parents have a habit of coming back at things a bit later. Fingers crossed though.

Also we will be in Sydney this weekend and our son said you are having a meeting on Friday night and said it would be good to come and meet some of his friends. Which we are looking forward to so will hopefully meet you Ann Maree and Anthony on Friday night. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 2, 2011, 13:32

Hi Mother Hen

Wow! I think your mum’s response is a really positive one. I mean she’s affirmed her love for her grandson while being honest about her feelings but not in a way that’s disrespectful. She’s also shown she is mindful of the suffering you and Mr S might have felt throughout this. Well that’s how it sounds to me without knowing your mum as you do.

I regret I won’t be there on Fri night but look forward to meeting you another time. That would be wonderful! It was a real treat meeting your son, Mother Hen. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 2, 2011, 13:49

positive outcome so far motherhen……so good to hear. this is the way we would want people to respond.

See you friday night. How cool.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 2, 2011, 14:20

I’m pleased with her response as well, I think she has done well, good first step. I was touched that her first thoughts were concerns for me and my son and her expression of love for him. Have to admit I was surprised by that and so was “Mr S” if it stays just as that I will be thrilled.

I think this post is important for all to see that us parents also go through concerns and issues about telling other family members, friends, church etc that our child is LGBT.

I pray for a time when this is not the case and everyone can live as they are with full love and acceptance from the church, society and our families. No more living in the closet for anyone yeah :bigsmile:

Was looking forward to meeting you Ann Maree, but I’m sure there will be a next time. See you Friday Anthony. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 2, 2011, 17:52

yep it is only a matter of time till change is complete. I think our role is not so much to make it happen but to accelerate it……this community and forum here is contributing to that I feel.

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
June 2, 2011, 22:14

🙂 Hi All

Just a quick note this time as lots going on in our lives at present with my husband’s dad very low and his sister not doing too good in Brisbane for chemo. I “came out” to my 7 work colleagues this week and it was fantastic. The love they showed me was just amazing and there were quite a few tears all round . Not much sleep lately so I’m off now but will write a full story a little later.

Love to everyone

Helen xx

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
June 2, 2011, 22:20

🙂 PS to Mother Hen

So pleased your mum’s response was so positive to your family and Mr S. My mum (who was 81 when I told her about Sam), truly astounded me and said that he was no different in her eyes and would love him no matter what. We are just so blessed.

Love Helen xx

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 2, 2011, 23:04

Wow Helen that is fantastic, :bigsmile: awesome response and so well done to you. Good on you. The more that react positively and the more people come out I really do believe will help bring about more change. I’m so thrilled for you, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful news. 🙂

Your mother has passed her unconditional love down to you and your son and you have certainly shown that to your son, awesome, need more great mother’s like that.

Hope all works out well for your family.

God Bless

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 3, 2011, 01:32

🙂 Hi All

Just a quick note this time as lots going on in our lives at present with my husband’s dad very low and his sister not doing too good in Brisbane for chemo. I “came out” to my 7 work colleagues this week and it was fantastic. The love they showed me was just amazing and there were quite a few tears all round . Not much sleep lately so I’m off now but will write a full story a little later.

Love to everyone

Helen xx

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.