Forums

Never in my wildest dreams: Journey of a boi 19 to a man 40

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 21, 2010, 15:35

I think that it often depends on what you feel called to do. Some are called to actively be engaged at bringing change…..some are called to just be.

I’ve found it helpful not to judge where others are at……especially if we haven’t had contact with them for some time…….most of us we get older….become a little more flexible and wiser…..I guess you won’t know till you begin to engage.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 21, 2010, 20:38

I’m not so much afraid of the rejection if I come out to this guy because if I did then I’m fairly sure of the response I would get. The church I previously attended teaches that gay is bad and they generally excommunicate all gay people if they out themselves. My response was very positive and I certainly didn’t include any negative elements that could indicate I am unhappy with life after leaving the church. I’m not in any hurry to jump back into corporate worship either. Anyways, will see how he responds. Here’s hoping that I can make a difference to the prevailing attitude.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 22, 2010, 09:47

Hi mobileguy

I like what avb said in his last response. I think I misunderstood what you meant and am not sure what your main concerns are. I guess I’m wondering what you are hoping for with this guy or church.

Wishing you all the best,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 22, 2010, 22:43

I got an email reply today. He congratulated me on my achievements that I mentioned in my initial response to him. He spoke briefly about his church and family life and the fact that he had changed churches as he didn’t believe in one particular doctrinal teaching (long story). He asked me about my spiritual walk and how my career is going. Nothing really sinister here 0:) Maybe I was a bit stressed out and trying to read things into it that I shouldn’t have. I’ll reply to his email as I did before, again not mentioning anything about my sexual orientation, unless it is specifically brought up during the course of email communications. I’m comfortable with that outcome 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 23, 2010, 23:06

Hi mobileguy

I’m glad things seem to be working out with the email communications. From my own experiences, it takes a while to trust others and be comfortable, especially when they’re from church backgrounds. The decision of whether to disclose sexuality or not, and the actual process of disclosure if decided upon, is not an easy one. I think this is compicated by my belief that sexuality is such an integral part of ourselves and yet at the same time, it’s only one area (i.e. there’s more to us than that) and in some ways a private one. There’s so many factors to consider and everyone is different in terms of views on this and how they express themselves.

Anyway, all the best as things unfold,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 24, 2010, 11:00

Yep, sometimes it is difficult to ascertain just how much (and when) information we should give out. Anthony and I have seperately discussed the process of disclosing my orientation to others. This guy would be in the high risk category so I won’t be disclosing anytime soon. The advice not to be judgemental I think will stand me in good stead if an opportunity came up to talk about sexual orientation in general. I think there are also assumptions that have been made by both of us (consciously or unconsciously) that there will always be that divide between us doctrinally about a specific issue that I can’t mention here on the forum.

My philosophical side of me says that there is always a solution to every problem and I’m often guilty as charged for being an eternal optimist, but in the real world, where so many factors come into play, it can be a different story. I guess we would all like to be able to see into the future and anticipate the highs and lows of life, but I know I can’t do that, so I have to plan as best as I can, and make the most of what I have been given and hopefully use my skills and talents to help others in the best way possible. I’ve probably gotten off track here so I’ll see how things pan out and hope that something good comes out of our dialogue.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 24, 2010, 11:07

I think its always important when communicating with people from our past to consider who they were and they way they thought back when we knew them 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago might not be where they are today……..like us…..they may be more enlightened and have moved on. I find that people who are still the same with the same beliefs are usually the exception more than the rule. Whilst many may still not be at a point of fully embracing LGBT people they have shifted.

I see our role as taking them further along the continuum……see my model here http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 24, 2010, 15:02

Hi mobileguy and avb,

Yeah it’s true that just as we’ve changed it’s likely that others have as well. That’s encouraging to remember.

Avb, I had a look at your link above and the ideas in your presentation have overlapped with other thoughts I’ve had. I like your suggestion of creating ‘new spaces’ for Christians and GLBTIQ to meet. I think this is important for letting go of the past and faclitating the formation of new relationships. It had recently occurred to me that if the emphasis was always on members of our community to make all the effort by going to church, this would be imbalanced and unfair. As well as that, it could make an already vulnerable minority even more fragile.

So in terms of creating new spaces, I’ve had an idea. What about Christians doing some outreach, coming out on ‘placement’ or work experience to see the everyday experiences of someone who identifies as GLBTIQ? For those who are interested in work experience anyway, this could be a great way of satisfying 2 goals at the same time. I’d volunteer to have someone spend the day or week with me and am happy to talk about my experiences as a lesbian and answer any questions.

What do you think?

I’m wondering what other ideas there are for creating these new spaces. The aim is to facilitate dialogue that increases understanding and moves toward unity.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 2, 2010, 21:38

I received another email from my friend a few days ago. With the benefit of previous discussions and posts about this matter, and without being judgemental, I thought the content was pretty much designed to sow the seeds of doubt about my decision to leave the church. I won’t divulge the exact details here. His doctrinal beliefs have not changed either, so I guess that makes him the exception rather than the rule unfortunately. While I’m happy to engage in dialogue not associated with church matters, I feel this is going to be a fruitless exercise should I continue the emails. I’m half tempted to tell him I’m gay and hope that it changes the direction of the discourse but I know that disclosing sexual orientation in anger or fear is not the right decision to make. Please pray for me so that I can be at peace with this.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 2, 2010, 21:52

I’m sorry that the conversation has taken a direction that only confirms your original feelings.

I don’t think that coming out to this person will improve matters and will only leave you open to being hurt.

Perhaps you could just politely end the discussion, let the guy know you don’t intend to return to church and you’re glad that he thought of you, at least and leave it at that.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.094 seconds.