Forums

The Sy Rogers Story

Page:   1 2 3 4

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 19, 2010, 11:45

That’s a great way to look at it, hereiam. Thanks for that piece of advice. 🙂 I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the weekend once it’s finished.

mrg

Joined in 2010
August 19, 2010, 21:14

I’ve met Sy a couple of times now and have shared a meal with him. Regardless of what you think of his teaching, he struck me as a genuine guy with a big heart for people.

His presentations are a bit one sided though. I’m all for presenting the results of research, but Sy has a habit of just choosing that research which backs up his message. Also, and this is a tendency of many speakers, there’s an assumption that because Sy has been able to achieve certain things, all people should be able to.

Funny thing is, he keeps saying that people can train themselves to be heterosexual, but maintains his effeminate speech and gestures! When I had lunch with him, it wasn’t anywhere near as pronounced, so I suspect there’s a bit of the “showgirl” in his talks!

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
August 23, 2010, 21:11

Ok, So how was the weekend?

I must say, his message and testimony were presented well. And while he shared that he is now attracted to women he never said that he is no longer attracted to men. As I mentioned above, it would seem that most of the message he shared was actually about sexual morality and healing rather than an ex-gay message. he did use parts of his own experiences as examples of how god can do great things in peoples lives. I actually think his messages are quite limited though. he shared friday, saturday and sunday but he recapped so much each time virtually word for word that you could be forgiven to think it was a recording of the previous message.

Overall, I think its a great message that he shares. there are people hurting in our world due to sexually driven emotions and feelings. His message seems to be one of only a few that aim to reach this area of peoples lives. The one problem I have with it isnt really against Sy but about the local churches. The local churches seem to get Sy to come and teach on these issues, bringing it all up to the surface. Sy then leaves and the church is left to deal with the issues as they come to the boil in peoples lives. But the churches arent equiped enough to handle them due to a lack of experience. the result is they deal with the peoblems in a negative way which leads to even more hurt and problems with the people involved.

So thats my thoughts…… I’m interested in hearing your comments.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 23, 2010, 23:47

Thanks for the summary of the weekend, hereiam, I really appreciate your doing that. I hear you too, about the church being ill equipped to deal with the emotional and mental ‘fallout’ so to speak from these kinds of ministry workshops etc.

In one fo my former churches I worked in the pastoral care team and was training as a counselor. We were fortunate in that the leader of that group was a psychologist and was insisting that we all be given proper training and attend courses etc. But the majority of churches don’t do that, and pastoral care workers are left to sink or swim. It’s an issue which I have long thought requires better handling and professionally trained counselors would be a good place to start.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts about Sy Rogers.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 09:04

Thanks hereiam for your summary. Good points for churches to be considering in terms of follow-up supports. Also it sounds as if Sy has softened his message or made it more about sexual morality than ex gay.. Is that right?

Meg, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve also been in churches where the pastoral team and counsellors are untrained which is completely irresponsible and potentially damaging. Meanwhile it makes my blood boil when some Christians have asked me if my counselling qualification is a ‘christian’ one! Their insinuation has been that it can’t possibly be good enough without the Christian endorsement. What they don’t realise is that the sacred is everywhere and the church does not have ownership over the truth. They might be surprised if they really ‘saw’ the content of most counselling courses and how spiritual and Godly they are.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
September 7, 2010, 19:34

…sometimes when you get a good meal they might put something on your plate that you dont like, for me it’s mushrooms (Eww). But I dont jump up and down when i see them on my plate or complain that they are there. I just push them aside and eat what I do like. This is what i’ll be doing this weekend. Comsuming what I do like, and pushing aside what I dont like.

What happens when it is all ‘mushrooms,’ hereiam? I went to a meeting today where I was having to bite my lip and my tongue until they just about bled. *sigh*

I came away from it angry and stirred up in my spirit, but not in a good way, and it took me hours to calm down. I didn’t jump up and down or say anything at the meeting, it wasn’t the time or the place, but it’s so difficult when you go seeking fellowship and all you find is… more ‘mushrooms.’ 🙁

If I go again and things are like that, I think I will have to speak up and offer a different point of view.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
September 26, 2010, 19:13

Sy Rogers came to speak at Hillsong’s Healing Seminar and at church this week.

He has gone back to his old ways and on Sunday morning 26th September 2010 at the Hillsong CITY Campus he certainly promoted the ex-gay message. He wasn’t shy about talking about leaving the gay “lifestyle” and his previous role as president in Exodus (International ex-gay ministry). This is very disappointing news. I think he has moved backwards and is once again doing more harm than good.

Another speaker at the Seminar was straight preacher Dr Robi Sonderegger who I have seen preach before. He also appears very questionable to me, even though he has a wife and kids. He is yet another promoter of anti-gay messages in Sydney and around Australia.

As a Hillsong member, it breaks my heart to see things like this still happening in 2010, knowing full well the harm it caused me and many others.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 26, 2010, 21:27

I’m so sorry to hear that, Ben. It breaks my heart too. 🙁

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 27, 2010, 02:23

this is sad new Ben……..we will discuss a way forward with this when I return.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.089 seconds.