Forums

Young, gay, loves God from sunny Brisbane

Page:   1 2 3

JR

Joined in 2008
November 23, 2008, 22:44

This is such an awesome site! I’m a long time reader first time poster from sunny Brisbane. I love reading everyone’s posts and feeling the connections 🙂 God loves us and at the end of the day, what else could possibly matter more??!!

I go to a pretty big charismatic-ish baptist church here and have been since becoming a Christian as a teen. I was gay when I gave my life to Christ, but managed to keep it pretty quiet for a few years, and even tried the odd GF but failed to make it work. lol. I’m not really “out” to many people in Brisbane – it’s just not that ok here to be honest – but I have a few besties who are clued in. It’s enough to realise the value and importance in having some friends around to be honest with. I know there are more than a couple of like-minded believers in my congregation so I’m committed to subtly encouraging them and working towards starting a weekly gay-friendly bible study/cell group. (I just need to figure out how to do with enough anonymity…!)

That’s enough. I’d love to hear from my brothers and sisters in Christ so don’t be shy in writing.

XO

/Jason

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 24, 2008, 08:15

Hi Jason and awesome to have you posting here with us 😀 Your plans for a cell group sounds great, Im positive God will open the way for you and protect you with it. Its exciting to hear that some members of the congregation are thinking inclusively, we are in great times of upcoming breakthrough arent we. 😉

btw: did you fare ok with the storms of late?

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 24, 2008, 19:02

Yay, this seriously makes me happy. Hehe. For a long time, I was wondering when a new person would come here, so I’m really glad you’re here JR. I love meeting new people. 🙂 I’m taking it that you are still a teenager? Am I right?

As for the cell group, I would love to do something like that in the future. It sounds like a great idea. Best of luck there. 🙂

So what else can you tell us about you? You sound like a pretty interesting guy. Will look forward to seeing you post more in the forums. 🙂

JR

Joined in 2008
November 25, 2008, 07:41

Thanks so much – you’re both too kind 🙂 You’re right about the times Magsdee – as Bob Dylan said, they are a changin… I’ve been living in Scandinavia and have not long returned, and it’s awesome there in terms of attitudes and acceptance. Kinda hard to come back to Oz I promise…

Did survive the storms, but lots of people have it bad. Driving to work on Monday morning was a shock – big gum trees sheared away at head height, and many houses without roofs. If there’s a silver lining it’s that people are coming together in community and helping the needy, and a couple of churches are involved heavily.

Glad you’re happy Mr Gettingthere – imagine how excited I was when I finally got around to googling “gay christians brisbane” lol I’m not a teenager anymore, but not by too much. I have a good few years of youth work under my belt and I know for sure there’s a ministry “gap” in helping people accept who they are EARLY and when the tide presents, rather than letting them struggle for ten years trying to swim against it, probably like a few of us did. I’m not sure how or when, but I’m guessing it’s easiest just to get something out there and work out the nitty gritty as it comes… Any thoughts?? EEK.

JR

Joined in 2008
November 25, 2008, 07:43

Or wait! Is it MS Gettingthere? Sorry if I got it wrong… Either way.. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 25, 2008, 22:29

Hi JR…….welcome……how did you find us?

BTW….it is mr gettingthere http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3669

there are some other young gay guys I know of in Brisbane who might be interested in a cell group/bible study….if you want to email me [email protected] I’ll connect you guys via email.

JR

Joined in 2008
November 26, 2008, 21:39

Wow – thanks Anthony – that would be awesome. As a plan, I’m aiming for mid-January to get started with small group. I’ll email you and perhaps you can also bless me with some wisdom on how to maybe bring my church, well the leadership or snr pastor at least, onside with the idea…? I know they’re ok with “the gay thing” in general, but apparently they’re not so keen on it being promoted as a way of life or for it to be “encouraged”… Heaven forbid. I’m guessing they’d see a gay-friendly bible study group as such…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 27, 2008, 12:59

you might find this site I created helpful.

Its the model I work with……..and it works.

http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

JeffnSyd

Joined in 2008
January 17, 2009, 21:52

Hey Jason,

Great to read your story. How are things going with your plans for a home group. Trust all is going well with it and that it is coming together. Great opportunity for young people to be in a group of like minded people and know that they are accepted. Great initiative.

JR

Joined in 2008
January 18, 2009, 09:05

Hey thanks JeffnSyd – you’re so right. Its so so good to have somebody Christian around to talk about being gay with, but aside from that its also just plain important to feel and know that your greatest secret is no longer a barrier to being accepted unconditionally.

I organised a meeting with my Senior Pastor but we’ve both had to reschedule a few times and then of course Christmas breaks etc came along – we’re now scheduled for next week, after Australia Day.

I met with an older straight friend who is a bit of a mentor and a very successful strategic thinker, and he was very supportive of the idea but said given the risks he wouldn’t be doing anything without a direct word from God about it, which I had to agree with. I quickly prayed about it – “God if you want me to do this, I need to know that you do, and that you’re going to support me.” That very night the senior pastor’s sermon was total confirmation and almost 40mins worth of direct word from God about the need for helping others in group situations with like-minded others and peers who are able to relate through similar experiences, unconditional support, etc – we both knew it and were ecstatic afterwards, and I’m a little more confident about our meeting next week.

Haha – on another note, I was talking about it with my 19 year old sister who’s a bit too cool and she laughed and laughed about it – earlier that day her crew were all talking about small groups this year, and one of her guy friends asked if I was going to be leading one and they are all definitely coming to my small group if I decide to start one. We both laughed about it for ages – some of the guys would be totally clueless. “Jason’s cell group is awesome! We keep talking about gay stuff tho… Yeah and those people keep coming and give us pedicures each week while we’re praying – what’s that all about?” Hahaha, how to break the news…

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.