Forums

Books and DVDs Corner

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 5, 2011, 13:48

..The Naked Now sounds interesting. How did you come to be reading that?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 5, 2011, 13:49

I had a look at The Naked Now on Amazon and it’s very interesting. I might end up buying it once I decrease my to be read pile. I noticed the Author has several books on the subject of Mysticism and that is right up my alley!

Meg

Volunteer Moderator

Freedom 2 b[e] Forum

Do justice, love mercy and walk humby with your God. Micah 6:8

Love and Light Blog

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 5, 2011, 13:52

Ann Maree wrote:

The Naked Now sounds interesting. How did you come to be reading that?

The Naked Now is a book which teaches about a ‘non-dual’ way of being – of experiencing God in all his/her paradoxes and allowing the dissonance from that to be – and through that to encountor true spiritual Presence. Richard Rohr talks about how most of the masses of world religions, including Christianity are stuck in ‘dual thinking’ which polarises and causes conflict and defensiveness, division, and hatred – which is so anti the message of Jesus.

I came to be reading it, because I went to see a doctor for a script last week, (and it was a different doctor, as mine was on holidays) – we ended up talking briefly about our faith journeys and recovery from the mission experiences and he recommended the book, and author. The next day, I was talking to my pastor, and he said he had a copy and had just finished reading it, so I could borrow it… so there you go. It is challenging and enlightening and affirming – and I am interested that it came into my hands, at the same time as I have been challenged to think about and explore my sexuality.

Thanks again to you and Meg for your encouragement…

ammi

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 5, 2011, 13:53

Hi ammi

That so sounds like my type of book. I’ll definitely get a copy to read. Thanks for mentioning it!

Limited dual thinking, or anything that creates an ‘us and them’, is incredibly destructive and infantile. And yes, it’s the very opposite of what Jesus and any enlightened figures have demonstrated. Some people in religions and other institutions like to think they have ownership of the sacred when this is all an illusion. It might make them feel safe or ‘better than’ but this is divisive and creates inequality. And from scripture, we see that God always welcomed those society deemed as outsiders rather than pushing them away.

The sacred is all around us in various kinds of situations and people if we just care to notice.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 1, 2011, 19:47

This post has been moved from the discussion section.

Hi All

I recently read a book about some of the interesting elements of relationships and how that then links to our overall happiness. The book is a foundation text for positive psychology at Harvard University (IE it’s a decent read). Same sex relationships can sometimes be a little messy, because we can sometime lose sight of what’s important (or any relationship I guess). It’s a nice reminder of what we should think about when getting into a relationship (or if we are already in one). I wish I read it when I was 15, I may have made some more wise decisions.

Here is what I found out.

Fascinating stuff!! Love to hear what you think!

Dan.

smith

Joined in 2006
May 11, 2011, 20:59

Oranges are not the only fruit – Jeanette Winterson wrote her first autobiographical novel about growing up in a Pentecostal household and falling in love with another woman

http://www.enotes.com/contemporary-literary-criticism/winterson-jeanette

cal87

Joined in 2011
July 7, 2011, 20:49

I like the dvd of ‘For the Bible Tells Me So’.

Yeah I just saw this, and I liked it too. I can recommend it to anyone who is starting out on the journey of being a LGBT christian. Or just anyone really. 😛

cal87

Joined in 2011
September 22, 2011, 21:47

Someone (my mentor from Christian Union) gave me this book recently. I started reading it and it really is quite upsetting. Has anyone read the whole thing and does it get better?

http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/what-some-of-you-were

Cal

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 22, 2011, 21:56

Hi Cal

I haven’t read it but from the summary it looks as if it’s written by and for those interested in the ex gay philosophy. In other words, they don’t accept homosexuality. That would understandably be upsetting to anyone wanting to feel good about being gay.

Based on the summary, it wouldn’t be a book I would read.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

mrg

Joined in 2010
September 23, 2011, 00:24

Someone (my mentor from Christian Union) gave me this book recently. I started reading it and it really is quite upsetting. Has anyone read the whole thing and does it get better?

http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/what-some-of-you-were

Cal

Hi Cal,

It doesn’t get any better. In fact, the appendices at the back will make you want to throw the book across the room.

The quote that did it for me was, “There’s no such thing as a happy gay man”.

Really?!!!!

Read it if you want to, but I don’t think it will hold much value for you on your own journey.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.