Forums

Books and DVDs Corner

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
September 23, 2011, 01:05

Matthias Media are part of the Sydney Anglican set-up. At an official level, they tend to take a particularly doctrinaire position on this and many other issues. They don’t seem to be able to acknowledge that they just might happen to be wrong with some of their interpretations.

Fortunately, there are quite a number of gracious people in their rank-&-file who don’t follow the official line. I know quite a number of gay people who worship at Sydney Anglican churches – including some Freedom2bers.

Read the publication if you must, but do so knowing that it is only their only interpretation, and that many, many thousands of Christians around the world disagree with them.

cal87

Joined in 2011
September 23, 2011, 19:49

Thanks forestgrey.

I guess my main concern is the people who gave me the book hold this view of me/gay community/etc. They push matthias media quite a bit in this christian group, and I sometimes feel they rely on them as the ultimate authority in a sense of interpreting the bible. which sometimes worries me.

it’s upsetting that they will feel this way, but I am coming to accept that I don’t need to please them, only God, and I know I am right with him 🙂

cal87

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 19, 2011, 21:12

This post has been copied and pasted from the topic called 'Great New Australian book: "Being Gay Being Christian"

in the discussion section.

In the bookshops from 28th December. Available now from http://www.exislepublishing.com.au

An excellent book by a well-credentialed Australian author. Anyone who is, or should be, interested in the subject will want to purchase a copy. An excellent present.

We'll post full details at the end of December. We have received two advance copies which have been given to a couple of freedom2bers. Their reviews will be posted shortly.

from Forestgrey

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 19, 2011, 21:15

Sounds like an awesome book. Hopefully it will help a lot of people and open the eyes of a few other's.

Good one

from Mother Hen

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 19, 2011, 21:17

Have just ordered a copy – Christmas holiday reading 🙂

Thanks

Sarab

IanJ

Joined in 2009
January 12, 2012, 16:18

I would like to recommend this book to you all:

Being gay, being Christian: you can be both

by Stuart Edser

published by Exisle Publishing http://www.exislepublishing.com

Dr Stuart Edser is a psychologist in private practice in Newscastle, Australia. He has experienced both Catholic and evangelical/Pentecostal churches. According to the bio 'after years of struggle and self-acceptance, he now lives with his partner Chris and is very comfortable being both gay and Christian.'

I found this an excellent book for its easy-to-read approach to both the psychological/physiological bases for homosexuality and the biblical/religious approaches to dealing with homosexual people. Here we have a book by an Australian author, with wide experience across the church, and an in-depth understanding from academic study and professional practise.

There are sections on

being gay

coming out

ex-gay therapy

biblical passages thought to relate to homosexuality

evangelical responses to homosexuality

Catholic responses to homosexuality

This is a 230 page book which is an easy read, a comprehensive treatment of the subject, and a great resource (useful end-notes with references for those wanting to go further).

I will make extensive use of this book in discussing the subject of homosexuality with both Christians and non-Christians.

If you are serious about understanding this subject and having a simple, though comprehensive resource for others, then please buy this book!

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
January 12, 2012, 17:04

You can also get it from here http://www.thenile.co.nz/search?s=Being+gay%2C+being+Christian%3A+you+can+be+both&x=21&y=20 in New Zealand.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
February 1, 2012, 21:21

"Being Gay, Being Christian". Here are reviews from a couple of freedom2b people ….

You Can Be Both by Phyllis Gresham

In a very important new Australian publication, Dr Stuart Edser reassures his readers “Being Gay, Being Christian – You can be both”. This book combines the amazing story of his personal journey including his professional experience as a clinical psychologist with a strong argument supported by a wealth of in depth research. This research covers being gay or lesbian today as well as the sociology, biology and psychology of being gay.

The author examines the Bible and its interpretation, the Evangelical view and the Catholic view and comes to the conclusion that sexuality does not separate us from God’s love. In each chapter the research is very comprehensive with personal comments and well-chosen examples which make it easier to understand. The structure of the book with its frequent sub-headings means you can focus on the areas which interest you personally. However if you read the whole book, all the chapters fit beautifully together into a strong argument for the integration of faith and sexuality.

I would enthusiastically recommend this book to the LGBTIQ community as well as their families and friends and those who work with young people as pastors or youth leaders. As the mother of a gay son, I wish our son and our family had been able to read this book years ago. This book will inform, encourage and inspire all who read its pages.

[ As a Christian and mother, Phyllis Gresham found herself on a new journey of discovery and understanding when her teenage son announced he was gay. Phyllis is a high school & college teacher with advanced qualifications in linguistics. ]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Fresh Approach to Faith & Sexuality by Sam Grebert

Dr Stuart Edser, author of 'Being Gay, Being Christian', presents us with a clear & concise approach to dealing with the themes of Faith & Human Sexuality from a Christian perspective. This book will both challenge, provoke & resource you with the knowledge & the 'know-how' for engaging in thoughtful, respectful & informed discussions with friends, family and Pastors. This book will also provide you with the tools for personal growth in your life and possibly challenge some personal held beliefs as well.

Stuart Edser provides a good foundational approach with this resource as it is written to engage the reader through factual information, psychological perspectives & biblical examples which support same-sex relationships from a Christian, Historical & Medical approach. I highly recommend 'Being Gay, Being Christian' to anyone who is looking for a fresh approach, and also written to be an Australian resource, on the topic of Faith & Sexuality."

[ Sam undertook ministry training in Perth before founding a church in regional NSW. He moved to Sydney when he acknowledged his sexuality and reconciled that with his faith. He remains active in Christian ministry. ]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> More details about this exciting new book (including purchase information) can be found at http://www.beinggaybeingchristian.com <<

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
March 29, 2012, 09:24

Other DVD suggestions:

1. But I'm A Cheerleader (comedy)

Info: Megan is an all-American girl. She's a cheerleader, she has a boyfriend, etc. But she doesn't like kissing her boyfriend very much. And she's pretty touchy with her cheerleader friends. And she only has pictures of girls up in her locker. Her parents and friends conclude that she *must* be gay and send her off to "sexual redirection" school, full of admittedly homosexual misfits, where she can learn to how to be straight. Will Megan be turned around to successful heterosexuality, or will she succumb to her love for the beautiful Graham? More info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179116/

2. Prayers for Bobby (drama)

Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Sigourney Weaver stars in this emotional true story about a deeply religious suburban housewife and mother who struggles to accept her son’s homosexuality. Mary Griffith (Weaver) is a devout Christian who has raised her children with a conservative religious perspective. When her son, Bobby (Ryan Kelley), reveals that he is gay to his older brother, the entire family dynamic is forever shifted. While Bobby’s father and siblings slowly come to terms with his homosexuality, Mary turns to her steadfast beliefs in an attempt to “cure” her son. Alienated and quickly becoming more detached from the safety of his close-knit family, Bobby’s depression drives him to take drastic – and tragic – actions. PRAYERS FOR BOBBY is the multiple Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award nominated true story of a mother torn between her loyalties, challenged by her faith, and moved by a tragedy that would change her life, and the lives of others, forever. Based on the book Prayers for Bobby by Leroy Aarons. More info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073510/

3. Save Me (drama)

When Mark–a young gay man addicted to sex and drugs–hits bottom, his concerned brother checks him into a Christian retreat in the New Mexico desert. Run by a compassionate husband and wife team, Gayle and Ted have made it their life's mission to cure young men of their 'gay affliction' through spiritual guidance. At first, Mark resists, but soon takes the message to heart. As Mark's fellowship with his fellow Ex-Gays grow stronger, however, he finds himself powerfully drawn to Scott, another young man battling family demons of his own. As their friendship begins to develop into romance, Mark and Scott are forced to confront their true selves.

4. Camp Out (doco)

Feature documentary that follows ten Midwestern teenagers as they attend the first overnight Bible Camp for gay Christian youths. For these six boys and four girls, it's just as hard to come out as Christian as it is to come out as gay. They're caught in the battle between religion, politics and sexuality that's raging in the United States today. These kids are outsiders – their straight classmates ostracize them and their churches reject them. But like all teens, they yearn to feel at home, somewhere. Struggling to find a way to be true to both their spirituality and their sexual identity, these teens come to camp hoping to finally find a place of acceptance.

And ofcourse there is 'The Cure' Documentary which I think is fantastic! ;P

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 29, 2012, 18:53

Thanks Ben! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.077 seconds.