Forums

Books and DVDs Corner

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 29, 2012, 19:03

I have a number of Fav Books and Movies

Books would include

A separate creation by Chandler Burr http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/page0/Books.htm

A little dated now but a very interesting read on the Search for the Gay Gene and the politics involved.

Study New Testament For Lesbians, Gays, Bi, And Transgender: With Extensive Notes On Greek Word Meaning And Context by A. Nyland.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Testament-Lesbians-Gays-Transgender/dp/0980443016

A new translation that worries about accuracy rather than politics and theologocal implications.. VERY interesting

Ill post movies later

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 29, 2012, 21:06

Oh great. Thanks Shadow boxer. Good to know and some new resources listed there for me to check out.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
April 28, 2012, 18:02

The Truth About Jane is an awesome movie. Have tissues on hand.

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
June 12, 2012, 11:05

I have just finished reading a book called "Gay Conversations with God" by James Alexander Langteaux.

James has written two other books "God.com" and "God.net". Both of these books are about believing in the Love of God and how to follow his voice. He was a producer on the 700 Club and would write scripts for Pat Robertson. He is a friend of Sam Sparro.

It has taken him 10 years to write this new book. It's all about his journey with his faith and sexuality. It is a very provocative book and not your typical Christian book. He swears a lot and talks about sex…a lot. He is so completely honest with his life and struggles and how God has passionately pursued Him in every seedy circumstance. There are stories of how God sent him to other gay people who had lost their connection with God and then used Him to re-awaken their life with Him. The story will make you life and cry.

He doesn't go to much into the theology… but he compels us to chase God with all our hearts and believe in His wild love for us. The book just rang true. I felt like I was reading my journey. It made me remember the love of Jesus for me…exactly as I am. "walk in the Light, as he is in the Light and you will have fellowship with God and with one another" kept rebounding around my heart as I read.

I've also spoken to James personally before. He is a lovely,lovely man and so very encouraging. I would love EVERYONE to read this book, gay and straight and if he ever makes it out to Australia… I'll force him to come speak at a Freedom 2 b meeting (with all your permission, of course haha).

J

Joined in 2012
July 7, 2012, 20:24

Hiya, I haven't done much research on this yet but since coming out to my parents and finding out a lot about myself, I plan on reading quite a few books to help me further in discovering who I am.

One thing I noticed which helped Chely Wright's dad in her coming out interview with Ellen Degeneres on YouTube, was a book called 'Love, Ellen' by Betty DeGeneres. I'm thinking about purchasing it myself actually.

I also never realized until now the powerful words in the song 'Pieces' by a band called 'Red'. They're a Christian band and this song was featured in 'The Blind Side' trailer. It really speaks to me personally as there were times I was angry at God for not getting answers (until now of course :D), there were MANY times I was a broken mess, I was scattered pieces of who I was, I tried so hard, I couldn't deal with my sexuality all on my own, and God is slowly making me whole again. So to me, this song is REALLY inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3U6BCUQqG8

And here are the lyrics

I'm here again

A thousand miles away from you

A broken mess, just scattered pieces of who I am

I tried so hard

Thought I could do this on my own

I've lost so much along the way

Then I see your face

I know I'm finally yours

I find everything I thought I lost before

You call my name

I come to you in pieces

So you can make me whole

I've come undone

But you make sense of who I am

Like puzzle pieces in your hand,

Then I see your face

I know I'm finally yours

You call my name

I come to you in pieces

So you can make me whole!

I tried so hard! So hard!

I tried so hard!

Then I see your face

I know I'm finally yours

You call my name

I come to you in pieces

So you can make me whole

So you can make me whole

Edit: My parents ordered Betty Degeneres' book 'Love, Ellen', and 'Unchristian' by David Kinnaman for me <3. I think these books will be really helpful for me in coming to terms with who I am and how to deal with life and the haters from now on!

Graham Douglas-Meyer

Joined in 2009
July 30, 2012, 20:53

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased and have read Michael Wood's book "Paul on Homosexuality."

I found it an interesting read from the perspective of a cryptographer. However, others who have read it seem a little unable to get past the hype that Michael has used to introduce and to cnvey his thesis.

He looks at the History of Paul and the knowledge he would have had to have had as a member of the sanhedran as well as the relationship between Paul's writing and the Leviticus passage that is the root of most of the clobber passages.

If you can shield yourself from the his over the top manner of presentation I think you may find some gems to assist the understanding of, at least, Romans Chapters 1 to 3

Kind regards

Graham

Stanza

Joined in 2012
July 31, 2012, 10:44

Thanks Graham, I've been doing some reasing along the lines of this topic. It's exactly what I've been looking for. Will check it out thanks

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 31, 2012, 18:49

Thanks Graham. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
August 4, 2012, 18:41

Hey guys. I just received 'Unchristian' by David Kinnaman and 'The Children Are Free' by Rev. Jeff Miner and John Tyler Connoley via post. I heard they were interesting reads so I thought I'd get them. I've read a small bit of 'The Children Are Free' and it has some great points.

Still waiting on my 'Love, Ellen' book to arrive though 🙁

Edit: Finally arrived on the 9th of August. They didn't send it for two weeks after ordering it o_O then they took another 2-3 weeks for it to actually arrive. Pretty slack.

Edit: Just started reading some of the 'Unchristian' book and I couldn't put it down ha ha. Read 27 pages and now it's 10:42pm or so and I must get some sleep now, but man there are so many good points in this book. Highly recommended!

It has also given me many points which I will use when coming out to my relatives. Awesome book!

J

Joined in 2012
August 13, 2012, 20:45

I just finished watching this movie 'Prayers for Bobby'. I tried not to cry but I cried like a little baby in the end. Was such a sad but heartwarming movie.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.