Forums

Books and DVDs Corner

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

4JC

Joined in 2007
October 16, 2012, 06:14

http://www.northseatexas.com is a belgian/flemish movie not about the struggle but about tho teenagers in the 70ties who fall in love. The actors are just straight guys. Its a movie from a book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9gINU_VT0Q

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/northseatexas/

J

Joined in 2012
October 16, 2012, 17:30

Some highly recommended books from Jeff Bethke (If you've seen the video on YouTube on why he 'hates religion but loves Jesus', you may find his theology very interesting and insightful in his book recommendations below as well):

http://pinterest.com/jeffersonbethke/favorite-books/

The book 'unchristian' is a great read, I myself already had the book before stumbling across this page. In fact after finding his top 50 fave books, my mum bought 3 books I was interested in from that list for my christmas pressy 😛

sarab

Joined in 2011
September 24, 2013, 17:03

Hi all,

It’s been a while since I have posted on the forum – I do however lurk about! 

I received an email from “The Bookshop” which is a gay and lesbian bookshop in Sydney and they are currently featuring some books about faith, spirituality and sexuality and I thought I might share the titles with you (along with the accompanying blurbs).

The Prince – Faith, Abuse and George Pell – by David Marr

In Quarterly Essay 51: The Prince – Faith, Abuse and George Pell, David Marr, one of the nation's most respected thinkers and journalists, investigates the man and his career: how did he rise through the ranks? What does he stand for? How does he wield his authority? How much has he shaped his church and Australia? How has he handled the scandal?

God believes in Love – straight talk about Gay marriage by Bishop Gene Robinson (we’ve discussed this book on f2be before).

Does Jesus Really Love Me? – A gay Christian’s pilgrimage in search of God in America –Jeff Chu In this timely work − part memoir, part investigative analysis − Jeff Chu explores the explosive and confusing intersection of faith, politics, and sexuality in Christian America. Chu sets out on a remarkable cross-country journey to discover the God ‘forbidden to him’ because of his sexuality. He surveys the breadth of the political and theological spectrum, from the most conservative viewpoints to the most liberal. This is an intellectual, emotional, and spiritual pilgrimage that reveals a portrait of a faith and a nation at odds. Published 2013

Heaven Bent – Australian Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex experiences of faith, religion and sexuality – Edited by Luke Benjamin Gahan and Tiffany Jones

Heaven Bent brings together academics, religious leaders, activists, politicians, theologians and everyday people to explore a diverse range of spiritual expressions amongst LGBTI people in Australia. Covering the range of Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Christian, Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist, Pagan and Atheist experiences, this book examines the past, present and future of faith, religion and spirituality. This groundbreaking volume is edited by academics/activists Luke Benjamin Gahan and Tiffany Jones, and features a foreword by Senator Louise Pratt.

I thought this Australian publication looked particularly interesting and I will be ordering this one along with the Jeff Chu book. Perhaps others may find some of these of interest too.

Sarab

J

Joined in 2012
October 22, 2013, 13:12

I recently heard about this book and I plan on getting it.

'You Lost Me' – by David Kinnaman

Talks about why more and more people are leaving the church and finding their own path – seems quite interesting to me simply because the next generation are sort of questioning more and more than previous generations – I think technology has a lot to do with that, but also I think people just don't want to listen to preachers all the time, but rather have more of a Q and A session which deals with real life problems and such.

miss.muppet

Joined in 2011
March 8, 2014, 13:06

I only just discovered this Corner…thanks.

I'm finally keen to do some more work on melding together my faith & same-sex attraction. However, I'm.not a big reader.

As in my other post, looking for gay/Christian documentary, i would like to find a particular cartoon I once saw about the issue. Or if there are any others that are easy to watch. Find it hard to give my attention to things for very long.

Thanks

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 6, 2014, 18:37

'A Life of Unlearning – a preacher's struggle with his homosexuality, church and faith' is on Amazon.com as an eBook. For the relaunch there is a 40% discount for the first week.

Book description

"We are all living a life of unlearning: unlearning things we accepted as truth but created a persona so unlike who we really are. Eventually cracks appear and beliefs challenged.

On the surface everything looked perfect. Anthony Venn-Brown was a happily married father-of-two and a popular preacher in Australia's growing mega-churches such as Hillsong. Behind the scenes he fought a constant battle to conform, believing his homosexuality made him unacceptable to God and others. After twenty-two years of struggle and torment, a chance meeting forced Anthony to make the toughest decision of his life; maintain the façade he had created or, be true to himself and lose it all. Tired of feeling torn and fragmented, he confessed and came out. The results of that confession took him on a lonely journey that made him who he is today.

This sometimes brutally honest account highlights not only the costs of being true to yourself but that the rewards of resolution and integrity are worth the struggle.

As Anthony's story is ultimately about being true to one's self, gay, straight, Christian and non-faith people have found relevance in this triumphant autobiography."

"Human stories, like the one in these pages, play a part in advancing understanding and acceptance. It is the story of a quest to find not only self-acceptance but one of the most powerful forces in nature—human love..” — Foreword by the Hon. Michael Kirby

FAQ'S

IS THIS A THIRD EDITION?

No. The first two editions sold out. As the first edition had such a profound impact on 1,000's of gay and straight people, I decided to re-release it again but in eBook format as many read that way today.

DID YOU CHANGE ANYTHING?

Yes. Some sections have substantially improved writing. Some things were too challenging emotionally to capture in the previous first edition. I believe with this edition the reader will get to experience many of those emotions. I can't say it has been easy going over so deeply once again the most traumatic experiences of my life. Where necessary information updated. And the epilogue totally re-written and relevant for 2014/2015. I am very happy with the finished product. And I LOVE the new cover (thank you Mark at Boxer & Co).

DOES IT CONTAIN WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE FIRST RELEASE (FREEDOM2B AND AMBASSADORS & BRIDGE BUILDERS INTERNATIONAL)?

No. That's another story for another time.

IS IT WORTH READING?

Apparently so. Readers, reviewers, ministers and academics said some wonderful things. It became a best seller in Australia. People have told me personally that it literally saved their lives. Read about that here http://gayambassador1.blogspot.com.au/p/readers-reviews-endorsements.html

I DON'T OWN A KINDLE?

This is not a problem. Kindle apps are freely available to read eBooks in that format.

I'M OLD FASHIONED. I WANT A BOOK. WILL THIS EDITION BE AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK?

Yes. One thing at a time. Steep learning curve for me on this one. Email [email protected] with Hard Copy in the subject line and you will the first to be notified.

If you've READ A LIFE OF UNLEARNING ALREADY and believe that more people can learn from this story then here are some things you can do to help.

1. Go to the page http://tinyurl.com/myjo5q5 and give it a rating

2. Write a review on the same page http://tinyurl.com/myjo5q5 .It doesn't have to be long. Two or three sentences helps. E.g., here's what Kerry wrote recently "One of the most captivating, powerful and incredibly moving books I've ever read. I'm truly grateful for in reading your story as doing so dispelled the negative opinion about homosexuality which I held completely out of ignorance. Ridding myself of that makes me a better quality person so I really do thank you for sharing your journey with me and the rest of the world. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone."

3. Recommend it to others on Facebook etc using this link http://tinyurl.com/myjo5q5

4. Share this link http://tinyurl.com/myjo5q5 in any relevant online forums or groups you belong to.

Thanks so much for your help.

If you have any questions feel free to email me personally [email protected]

Anthony Venn-Brown

Co-founder of Freedom2b

Founder of Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.