Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Jessicadeanne

Joined in 2011
August 9, 2011, 01:30

sORRY RE TYPOS

ammi

Joined in 2011
August 9, 2011, 08:50

Welcome Jessica… Hugs back to you – and wishing you courage as you find your way through today… as another depression sufferer – I want to honour your courage for posting here – and invite you to start your own thread, and share some of your story with us..

Courage and peace for today.

ammi

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 9, 2011, 11:15

Hi jessicadeane

A big welcome from me also. 🙂

I echo what ammi has written. Similarly to ammi, I think it would be great if you felt inclined to post some of your story in a new thread in this ‘telling our stories’ section. If you need any help with formatting, please feel free to send me a private message.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

kinkly

Joined in 2008
August 10, 2011, 08:41

you should start a new topic Jessicadeanne hang in there many people particularly within the gender diverse world struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts hang in there and get help if you need it. Hugs

gunsandhorses

Joined in 2011
August 11, 2011, 00:48

Hi,

Thank you for sharing. I’m not trans sorry, but I am interested in gender and androgyny.

I can’t imagine how you feel, being comfortable not either feminine or masculine. Do you feel that there’s more to gender than just characteristics that fit as male or female?

I’ve just been reading that 50% of male and females are not high in masculine or feminine qualities respectively, some are cross typed, some are high in both, or low in both. It really interests me that what we would think as “most” people is only 50% of each gender. Obviously the social construct of gender doesn’t even fit the two sexes very exclusively at all.

I hope you find community and acceptance here regardless of who you come across. 🙂

kinkly

Joined in 2008
January 3, 2012, 22:53

Quote from gunsandhorses on August 11, 2011, 12:48 am

Hi,

Thank you for sharing. I'm not trans sorry, but I am interested in gender and androgyny.

I can't imagine how you feel, being comfortable not either feminine or masculine. Do you feel that there's more to gender than just characteristics that fit as male or female?

It isn't easy being me not fitting into any of the boxes society insists on

I have found a comfortable position where I am. I'm just me – both male and female, Living life as a bearded Lady

there are many parts to gender most can be looked at as different Masculine and feminine characteristics (but not in oposition to each other) but other parts of gender go beyond that idea of M/F characteristics

I've just been reading that 50% of male and females are not high in masculine or feminine qualities respectively, some are cross typed, some are high in both, or low in both. It really interests me that what we would think as "most" people is only 50% of each gender. Obviously the social construct of gender doesn't even fit the two sexes very exclusively at all.

I hope you find community and acceptance here regardless of who you come across. 🙂

gender is a system of control while most people are blind to it being a control system folding them back people are so relient on that system that they will do almost anything to enforce its rules (anyone spot the sci fi movie reference?)

A lot of Trans people insist of the importance of passing but for me Its Like I've escaped the prison of being Male why would I want to be locked into the prison of being Female. I get that It is nicer with the girls then the guys but I prefer the freedom of not being locked up too much. It is all good. But there are people who unknowingly are trying to throw me back in the prison they just don't understand. It only takes a perceived Majority to insist on rules like "only 50% being most" I have heard that even Most Cis straight Guys believe the worst thing about being Male is the policing of gender and being forced to be a real Man" according to a gender studies professor friend of mine.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 4, 2012, 11:24

Hi Kinkly,

It's wonderful that you have found a comfortable position where you are, just being you. I think that takes a lot of courage, and strength to stand a be you and not be pushed into being male or female or back into any sort of prison.

We were at the Brisbane meeting when Sujay Kentlyn's spoke and told us of her story and spoke about the issues that affect gender diverse and intersex people. We found it very interest, have to admit I have a lot to learn about it all. As you have said we live in a society where we define people by their sex, I'm as guilty as that as anyone but I am learning to accept people for who they are.

So thankyou for being you, you are wonderful.

God Bless

mrg

Joined in 2010
January 4, 2012, 11:45

Happy to be a sounding board for you kinkly.

Rev mrg

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 4, 2012, 20:29

Hi Kinkly

It's good to hear from you again. 🙂

You're right – society wants to categorise people into one gender or another and there's a pressure to conform. But why? And meanwhile in reality, gender and life aren't that simple. And nor does it have to be.

I had the great pleasure of attending the film premiere of 'Orchids: My Intersex Adventure' with my dear friend, Andie, who featured in the film (much to her embarrassment). The doco was an excellent one that was shown at last year's Melbourne Queer Film Festival (MQFF). Afterwards we hung around for the Q & A session and I was moved by audience responses. People came up to Andie and thanked her for her part in the film, quite moved by it. And a secondary school teacher came up to say he had been teaching his year 10 science class that there were more than 2 genders for years. It was so lovely to see his emotion and admiration of Andie and others involved in the fillm and to hear that he was shaping kids' minds to be more open and educated in this area. I highly recommend the film if you haven't seen it. It's very sensitively done with the issues explained well and lots of humour which is good too.

Here's a link about the film. http://www.dungogfilmfestival.org/CustomContentRetrieve.aspx?ID=833810

Blessings,

Ann Maree

kinkly

Joined in 2008
January 6, 2012, 05:58

I have seen that film and I hope It will become available on DVD so I can add it to my collection.

Thankyou everyone for your kind words

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.