Forums

Catholic M2IS Trangendered person 31

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 9, 2012, 12:15

Hi kinkly

Oh great! And yes, I think it's a worthy film to buy for a home collection.

It's been good to hear from you again.

Happy 2012! Let's hope it's a great one for you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 11, 2012, 11:59

Hi Again

If anyone is interested 'Orchids: My Intersex Adventure' is showing on ABC1 on 29/01/12 at 10 pm.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

kinkly

Joined in 2008
April 8, 2012, 23:01

I recorded the show when it was on tv and have watched it a number of times

I see myself as a bit of a performer and have a number of ideas for a show. I performed a poem & song combo as part of a larger show about relationships & sexuality by a cast of 5 people with disabilities.

When I get my copy of the show I'll be putting my solo part on youtube.

Would people like me to past a link here to it when I do?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 9, 2012, 10:49

Hi Kinkly

Glad you enjoyed Orchids. 🙂

Please do post your performance here. Just check the forum guidelines beforehand to ensure it's suitable. Otherwise I would be glad to see it and am sure many others would too. 🙂

Break a leg!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Sujay

Joined in 2005
April 11, 2012, 06:17

Hi kinkly and everyone!

I identify as genderqueer, which is a term used by some of us who don't identify with the gender binary – some feel both male and female, some alternate, and some (like me) just feel those terms are kind of artificial constructions – that the attributes and behaviours which society calls 'female' or 'male' are really just Human and aren't limited to one biological sex.

Like you, kinkly, it took me a long time to figure this stuff out. I never felt fully comfortable as a woman, but I knew I wasn't a man either, and it was only after doing Sociology at Uni that I discovered there was a huge range of other gender identities outside the binary. At last I've found a way of being in the world that works for me, and it's a huge relief, internally at least.

Of course the problem is that most people see the world very much in binary terms, and have great difficulty getting their heads around the idea of being neither, or both. Even within the Trans* communities, we can get a lot of flak, especially from some older Trans women who have fought very hard to be recognised as women and feel that those of us who blur the boundaries are undermining their identities. Of course we recognise that most people strongly identify as female or male, there's just some of us who don't, but we don't want to impose that understanding of gender on everyone.

Christian faith communities in particular haven't been very accepting of transgressing gender binaries – sometimes based on the condemnation in the Hebrew scriptures of wearing the clothes of the 'opposite' sex', and of course the general understanding that god made two sexes for the purpose of reproduction, a concept called 'heteronormativity', or even 'repronormativity' – that there are two-and-only-two sexes, that people should only be attracted to and have sexual relations with, the 'opposite' sex, and that the purpose of sexual intercourse is procreation. Some christian faith traditions have a broader understanding of sexuality as part of an intimate relationship, not just for procreation, but historically the catholic hierarchy (as opposed to catholic people, the majority of whom clearly don't agree!) have always condemned any kind of non-procreative sexuality (hence the sanctions on contraception and same-sex sexuality). So finding a faith community that is welcoming of non-binary folks is quite a challenge. In Brisbane I expect the old St Mary's community, which I think are still meeting at the Trades Union building in South Brisbane, would be accepting (though I don't know if there would be much actual understanding there); and possibly MCC.

Of the Trans groups in Brisbane, Freedom! on the Gold Coast welcomes people of all gender identities and expressions, as does 'G-spot' which is a monthly meetup for gender diverse folks in the Roma Street parklands – you can find these on Facebook. You could also contact Amanda Dean at Qahc; zie was setting up a group called 'Many Genders, One Voice', and I know they're holding a Conference in Cairns in August.

But finding a faith community that is welcoming of gender diverse folks is definitely a tough call. I wish you well in your quest – let us know how you get on.

lots of love

Sujay

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 11, 2012, 20:01

Hi Sujay

Thanks for your perspective here. It's sad when people don't accept that there are many gender identities.

I have a friend who came out to her congregation as intersex. The minister gave her the platform and supported her in doing so and she spoke very well, educating the congregation about intersex conditions. It was moving to see the people in her church recognise her courage and show their love of her so freely. They were mostly an older crowd too. In my opinion they loved her even more after that disclosure.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

kinkly

Joined in 2008
April 12, 2012, 00:06

thanks Sujay,

I do know of all the groups you mentioned. I also know G-spot haven't had a picnic yet this year

I still have issues (sometimes)with people telling me to pick a side or to try & be "Normal" what ever that is meant to be

one thing most people can't understand I that I didn't choose to be different – It is who I am.

I go to both St. Mary's in Exile & MCC as often as I can. I feel accepted by both communities but also feel like I don't fit in either

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
April 19, 2012, 22:36

Thanks for your Post Sujay ! Much appreciated !

kinkly

Joined in 2008
June 23, 2013, 02:18

Wow over a year since I last posted, I now see myself as a regular at MCC and almost a regular at st. Mary's in exile (SMX). I also make it to most Freedom2b Brisbane meetings but everywhere I go I feel like an outsider, I don't attend groups that have shown themselves to be unwelcoming to me. I feel very much alone, very few people get me and most that do have no time to spend with me. Or have moved overseas or interstate. My faith continues to grow I still dont have anyone I can easily chat about my faith journey with i feel in a lot of ways im in the closet as far as my faith is concerned. My medical issues have flailed up again causing a large amount of fear and concern over what will happen in hospital – surgery, being treated like a number, being miss-gendered & possibly having to prove that it is ok for me to live differently.

Don't know why I came back here something inside is wanting me to reach out and here is as good as anywhere.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 23, 2013, 11:39

Hi kinkly

Great to hear form you again.

Feel free to start a discussion in the discussion thread about faith issues.

I'm sorry you were referred to an ex gay service. Glad you are not going down that path.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.089 seconds.