Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

kinkly

Joined in 2008
August 16, 2008, 09:48

No offience taken but dont do it again please

I’m weird – trueth

everything gets called unique even mass produced plastic figurines

I’m not Normal thats just a plain out lie

special is another PC word that makes me cringe think “special” school – another lie – never went there

orfeo

Joined in 2007
August 18, 2008, 17:58

Hey there kinkly,

I used to work in human rights and got just a glimpse of how incredibly tricky life can be for people who don’t neatly fit into the two boxes on a form that ask you to pick ‘M’ or ‘F’. I discovered that it’s perfectly possible for different government agencies to record a person differently, depending on various policy reasons.

To be honest, the notions of ‘sex’ and ‘gender’ and different terminology people prefer was something I never fully wrapped my head around while doing that work. Even within the gay and lesbian community, it can be a major challenge to appreciate how different the issues are that transgender and intersex people face. And as for the ‘straight’ community understanding… 😕

Anyway, welcome to the forum, hope that you find us warm and willing to listen. And you can be as weird as you want. 😉

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
August 18, 2008, 21:22

BTW….welcome to our forum Kinkly….hope you have a good time here with us.

If you feel you’d like to educate some of the forum here as to what M2IS is all about feel free……I’m pretty sure this would be new to some.

basicaly we live in a binary world where everyone is male or female unfortinutitly not everyone sees themself as either exclusivly I feel like I’m too much of a girl to live in my male body much longer But I’m too much of a man to live fulltime as a girl I believe the right mix for my body would be somewhere inbetween my end destination as I see it at the moment is that of a bearded lady with male bits down there there are a few different meanings for the word transgender for me its an umbrella term for anyone who has a gender Identity that is different to there birth sex and feel the need to express that they are different to how they are born weather through dress or medical intervention. Some transexuals think the term is strange because they change there sex not there gender others like the term becuause it takes away the link between them & sex which makes people think it is a sexual issue.

My gender Identity is androgyne/intergender/gennder fluid/gender queer.

wiki has a fairly good androgyne page feel free to ask me questions.

also if anyone knows who I can talk about my weirdness with in brisbane it would be very helpful – am I the only Non binary Trans person in the village ❓ 🙂 🙁

hey kinkly, a really good book you might enjoy reading is she’s not there by jennifer finney boylan. i have a copy and it has given me so much insight into the sometimes forgotten T in LGBTQ.

i can understand what you’re saying, obviously no where near as much as you can because i’m not really going through it, but i feel that i am two-spirited as well, even though i don’t want surgery or hormones i do feel the need to dress and identify as a male sometimes. i think it’s really good that you hold on to your catholic faith too, i’m starting to rediscover my spiritual side and feel so much better for it 🙂 god bless you kinkly, people might not but he accepts you no matter what!

kinkly

Joined in 2008
August 19, 2008, 13:11

hey kinkly, a really good book you might enjoy reading is she’s not there by jennifer finney boylan. i have a copy and it has given me so much insight into the sometimes forgotten T in LGBTQ.

i can understand what you’re saying, obviously no where near as much as you can because i’m not really going through it, but i feel that i am two-spirited as well, even though i don’t want surgery or hormones i do feel the need to dress and identify as a male sometimes. i think it’s really good that you hold on to your catholic faith too, i’m starting to rediscover my spiritual side and feel so much better for it 🙂 god bless you kinkly, people might not but he accepts you no matter what!

I’m not 2spirit (bigender) both at different times or different personitities

I’m intergender both at same time & single personitily

sometimes I’m more male or fem (gender fluid) but I’m always both

thanks for the book sugestion

I believe in an all Loving all accepting multi gendered god that loves me just the way sie made me

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
August 19, 2008, 17:20

I just refer to God as a he because, well, it’s the way I’ve always heard it. God would be multi gendered though, when you think about it.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 20, 2008, 09:06

yes….I think many of us do that supercalamari out of habit…..we always been taught that God is our heavenly father and repeat the Lords prayer so its pretty instilled.

I guess for me…..I’ve come to the point of thinking that to even assign any gender to the source of the entire universe is not only limiting but illogical. I find that it has not diminished my relationship with the Divine but makes me stand in awe.

kinkly

Joined in 2008
August 20, 2008, 16:19

the fact that god isn’t just a he brings gr8 comfort in that where I’m transitioning to is a valid destination

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
August 20, 2008, 21:27

yes….I think many of us do that supercalamari out of habit…..we always been taught that God is our heavenly father and repeat the Lords prayer so its pretty instilled.

I guess for me…..I’ve come to the point of thinking that to even assign any gender to the source of the entire universe is not only limiting but illogical. I find that it has not diminished my relationship with the Divine but makes me stand in awe.

I guess that another thing I’ve noticed is that people claim many things but actually believe differently.

They claim to be not homophobic, yet are ardently against gay marriage, freedoms and any public displays of “gayness”, affection etc. that straight couples can do without a problem.

They claim to be understanding of all people, yet don’t accept that some people just aren’t psychologically the same gender they have the plumbing of.

I kind of like the idea of God being both genders. The best of both worlds.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 20, 2008, 23:19

Just found this helpful bit of info on the GLAAD site.

http://www.glaad.org/media/guide/transfocus.php

Transgender Glossary of Terms

media center > media reference guide > transgender focus

GENERAL TERMINOLOGY

Sex

The classification of people as male or female. At birth, infants are assigned a sex based on a combination of bodily characteristics including: chromosomes, hormones, internal reproductive organs, and genitals.

Gender Identity

One’s internal, personal sense of being a man or a woman (or a boy or girl.) For transgender people, their birth-assigned sex and their own internal sense of gender identity do not match.

Gender Expression

External manifestation of one’s gender identity, usually expressed through “masculine,” “feminine” or gender variant behavior, clothing, haircut, voice or body characteristics. Typically, transgender people seek to make their gender expression match their gender identity, rather than their birth-assigned sex.

Sexual Orientation

Describes an individual’s enduring physical, romantic, emotional and/or spiritual attraction to another person. Gender identity and sexual orientation are not the same. Transgender people may be heterosexual, lesbian, gay, or bisexual. For example, a man who becomes a woman and is attracted to other women would be identified as a lesbian.

TRANSGENDER-SPECIFIC TERMINOLOGY

Transgender

An umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. The term may include but is not limited to: transsexuals, cross-dressers, and other gender-variant people. Transgender people may identify as female-to-male (FTM) or male-to-female (MTF). Use the descriptive term (transgender, transsexual, cross-dresser, FTM or MTF) preferred by the individual. Transgender people may or may not choose to alter their bodies hormonally and/or surgically.

Transsexual (also Transexual)

An older term which originated in the medical and psychological communities. Many transgender people prefer the term “transgender” to “transsexual.” Some transsexual people still prefer to use the term to describe themselves. However, unlike transgender, transsexual is not an umbrella term, and many transgender people do not identify as transsexual. It is best to ask which term an individual prefers.

Transvestite

DEROGATORY see Cross-Dressing

Transition

Altering one’s birth sex is not a one-step procedure; it is a complex process that occurs over a long period of time. Transition includes some or all of the following cultural, legal and medical adjustments: telling one’s family, friends, and/or co-workers; changing one’s name and/or sex on legal documents; hormone therapy; and possibly (though not always) some form of surgical alteration.

Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS)

Refers to surgical alteration, and is only one small part of transition (see Transition above). Preferred term to “sex change operation.” Not all transgender people choose to or can afford to have SRS. Journalists should avoid overemphasizing the importance of SRS to the transition process.

Cross-Dressing

To occasionally wear clothes traditionally associated with people of the other sex. Cross-dressers are usually comfortable with the sex they were assigned at birth and do not wish to change it. “Cross-dresser” should NOT be used to describe someone who has transitioned to live full-time as the other sex, or who intends to do so in the future. Cross-dressing is a form of gender expression and is not necessarily tied to erotic activity. Cross-dressing is not indicative of sexual orientation.

Gender Identity Disorder (GID)

A controversial DSM-IV diagnosis given to transgender and other gender-variant people. Because it labels people as “disordered,” Gender Identity Disorder is often considered offensive. The diagnosis is frequently given to children who don’t conform to expected gender norms in terms of dress, play or behavior. Such children are often subjected to intense psychotherapy, behavior modification and/or institutionalization. Replaces the outdated term “gender dysphoria.”

Intersex

Describing a person whose biological sex is ambiguous. There are many genetic, hormonal or anatomical variations which make a person’s sex ambiguous (i.e., Klinefelter Syndrome, Adrenal Hyperplasia). Parents and medical professionals usually assign intersex infants a sex and perform surgical operations to conform the infant’s body to that assignment. This practice has become increasingly controversial as intersex adults are speaking out against the practice, accusing doctors of genital mutilation.

TRANSGENDER TERMINOLOGY TO AVOID

PROBLEMATIC TERMINOLOGY

PROBLEMATIC: “transgenders,” “a transgender”

PREFERRED: “transgender people,” “a transgender person”

Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, “Tony is a transgender,” or “The parade included many transgenders.” Instead say, “Tony is a transgender person,” or “The parade included many transgender people.”

PROBLEMATIC: “transgendered”

PREFERRED: “transgender”

The word transgender never needs the extraneous “ed” at the end of the word. In fact, such a construction is grammatically incorrect. Only verbs can be transformed into participles by adding “-ed” to the end of the word, and transgender is an adjective, not a verb.

PROBLEMATIC: “sex change,” “pre-operative,” “post-operative”

PREFERRED: “transition”

Referring to a sex change operation, or using terms such as pre- or post-operative, inaccurately suggests that one must have surgery in order to truly change one’s sex.

PROBLEMATIC: “hermaphrodite”

PREFERRED: “intersex person”

The word “hermaphrodite” is an outdated, stigmatizing and misleading word, usually used to sensationalize intersex people.

DEFAMATORY TERMINOLOGY

Defamatory: “deceptive,” “fooling,” “pretending,” “posing,” or “masquerading”

Gender identity is an integral part of a person’s identity. Please do not characterize transgender people as “deceptive,” as “fooling” other people, or as “pretending” to be, “posing” or “masquerading” as a man or a woman. Such descriptions are extremely insulting.

Defamatory: “she-male,” “he-she,” “it,” “trannie,” “tranny,” “gender-bender”

These words only serve to dehumanize transgender people and should not be used (See Defamatory Language).

NAMES & PRONOUN USAGE

We encourage you to use a transgender person’s chosen name. Often transgender people cannot afford a legal name change or are not yet old enough to change their name legally. They should be afforded the same respect for their chosen name as anyone else who lives by a name other than their birth name (e.g., celebrities).

We also encourage you to ask transgender people which pronoun they would like you to use. A person who identifies as a certain gender, whether or not they have taken hormones or had surgery, should be referred to using the pronouns appropriate for that gender.

If it is not possible to ask the person which pronoun he or she prefers, use the pronoun that is consistent with the person’s appearance and gender expression. For example, if the person wears a dress and uses the name “Susan,” feminine pronouns are appropriate.

It is never appropriate to put quotation marks around either the transgender person’s chosen name or the pronoun that reflects their gender identity.

kinkly

Joined in 2008
August 21, 2008, 02:48

while I agree with most of the info posted by avb some of the info only relates to binary trans people while they may find terms like gender-bender offensive It fits well on me

as far as pronouns go for me sie & zee are prefered over he/she or any non gendered term eg. they, them, oneself I don’t like it though I do know of someone that does on a forum for non binary people

I would love to meet with someone to talk about where I see gods plan for me I tried to talk to my priest he is suportive but has no understanding so he gave me the number of someone who has experance in this field they just quoted anti gay scripture when and pointed me to their groups website full of ex-gay ex trans “success” stories. but i knew that was not gods path for me. I’m hoping i’ll find other people I can connect with through this site feel free to pm me if you are interested in bouncing faith issues around. or is there somewehere on this forum where we can do that?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.106 seconds.