Forums

Hillsong recent statement on Issues of Sexuality

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sandy

Joined in 2007
July 22, 2008, 19:20

*Tickles Maggie mercilessly* You’ll pay for that missy cause I’m like soooo scary and intimidating 😆 😆 Everything I have to say is always of SUPREME importance, have I taught you nothing? 😉

Sure no problem Anthony, if I have any burning desire to learn more about life coaching or internet dating I know who to call.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 22, 2008, 23:33

*Sure no problem Anthony, if I have any burning desire to learn more about life coaching or internet dating I know who to call.

LMAO!

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 23, 2008, 08:03

*Tickles Maggie mercilessly* You’ll pay for that missy cause I’m like soooo scary and intimidating Everything I have to say is always of SUPREME importance, have I taught you nothing?

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG my biggest weakness 🙁 especially the neck 😯

Ohhhhhhhhhh SUPREMEEEEEEEEE dialoguer, what hast thou to verbate to us now!!!!!!!!!!!! *bow bow*

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 23, 2008, 12:37

you girls crack me up 😆

Shonkygirl

Joined in 2009
August 8, 2009, 19:43

Hi all, sorry to be a real bore and bring it back to the topic thread (I did enjoy a good lol reading the above), but …

A friend of mine who had read the media release wanted me to have a look, however when I have tried the link at the beginning of the forum it is now broken. Also looked on the Hillsong website under their media section and while there were other older press releases couldn’t find this one.

Anthony really glad you posted a full copy, ta. Wonder what has happened to Hillsong’s posting?

Cheers

Shon

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 9, 2009, 00:48

hey shonky girl…..it was a response to some media attention that was going on….so they do remove them…..eg the one about me was gone quite quickly.

its cached though….if you know what that means.

search this ……As a church we always endeavour to treat people compassionately whatever they may be facing in life……..and click on cached

JYONG

Joined in 2009
August 9, 2009, 19:29

This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion.

We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus because we know that hope and answers for every situation and circumstance can be found in Him.

Brian Houston

Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church

I think statement certainly reflex a shift in attitudes toward homosexuality as individual, but there still a large question for Pentecostal to rustle with especially when the bible is regarded as ‘the authoritative’ word of God. I hope they will be able to exegete the passages that perceive to be a condemnation of homosexual act, constructively. One particular evangelical biblical scholar Dr. Keith Dyer has suggested re-reading of the passages in one of the theological journal.

But it is a step toward dialog and an acknowledgement of diversity. The question for me whether this is another statement echoing a famous phrase ‘love the sinner have the sin’. Which becoming common in Pentecostal Churches, accept the person as homosexual but denied the person of having relationship and promote chastity.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 9, 2009, 22:12

This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion.

We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus because we know that hope and answers for every situation and circumstance can be found in Him.

Brian Houston

Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church

I think statement certainly reflex a shift in attitudes toward homosexuality as individual, but there still a large question for Pentecostal to rustle with especially when the bible is regarded as ‘the authoritative’ word of God. I hope they will be able to exegete the passages that perceive to be a condemnation of homosexual act, constructively. One particular evangelical biblical scholar Dr. Keith Dyer has suggested re-reading of the passages in one of the theological journal.

But it is a step toward dialog and an acknowledgement of diversity. The question for me whether this is another statement echoing a famous phrase ‘love the sinner have the sin’. Which becoming common in Pentecostal Churches, accept the person as homosexual but denied the person of having relationship and promote chastity.

For some JYONG…..the later is where they are at currently. I will be speaking about this in melbourne at the seminar. People are moving along a continumm…there are 7 different positions. Everyone from our circle were orginally in stage 1 (hatred)…..but that has changes substantially…..people in stage 1 are in the minority.

BTW…..the phrase love the sinner hate the sin has been around for years. I used to preach it in the 80’s…… 😆 😆 😆 😆

WE……I’m using the collective WE there……WE find that phrase so condescending and offensive…..like ‘homosexual/gay lifestyle”…..’sexual preference” etc.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
August 9, 2009, 23:43

WE……I’m using the collective WE there……WE find that phrase so condescending and offensive…..like ‘homosexual/gay lifestyle”…..’sexual preference” etc.

Honestly, I don’t think people say it with the express purpose of being a jerk, neither do they say it out of ignorance like the lifestyle or preferance thing. Lets consider conservative thinking: Homosexuality is sin. God did not make anyone homosexual so it is not an identity of indicative of who you really are. If we work with these maxims then the phrase makes sense and is, in a way, rather kind. It’s saying who you are is not the sin you carry around. Now, before I get mass replies on how wrong this all is, I know, I know, I know okay? 😆 😆 But within the conservative framework people don’t say it to be condecending or offensive and I think some understanding needs to be given. Many of us have spouted the very same line and we didn’t do so to be offensive either. Surely peoples motives and intentions count here.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 10, 2009, 00:06

you’re right sandy…..its my ‘stuff’…..it is a trigger for me. 🙁

I’ll have to do some soul searching now to find out why. 🙁

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.08 seconds.