Forums

Hillsong recent statement on Issues of Sexuality

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sandy

Joined in 2007
August 10, 2009, 00:37

you’re right sandy…..its my ‘stuff’…..it is a trigger for me.

I’ll have to do some soul searching now to find out why.

The good news is, now that you are aware you can indeed find out why and become stronger and more self-actualised as a result. So no more sad faces, this is a good day. Just think, maybe one day you’ll come across someone who says that and insted of being offended you’ll use it as an oppitunity to explain how being gay isn’t a sin and is an idenity. It could happen and all because you were brave enough and savy enough to work through your own personal issues and resolve them.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 16, 2010, 21:46

Did anyone watch the Hillsong story on the Sunday Night program tonight?

What do you think about Brian Houston’s statement on sex outside of marriage?

How does this apply to monogomous same-sex relationships?

N149

Joined in 2010
May 17, 2010, 00:24

I saw it… It is now available online…

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/-/watch/19859668/

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 17, 2010, 21:03

Hi Pierre

I was just about to raise this topic but noticed you had beaten me to it. Thank you.

I saw the show and am disappointed by Brian’s stance. I think the sex outside marriage idea is VERY old fashioned and is a convenient way for him to sit on the fence regarding homosexuality. I think it’s also too easy for married people to make these ridiculous decrees when they are smugly indulging in sexual relationships, and from past experiences of church Christians, flaunting it. I feel strongly about this and believe they put a noose around unmarried peoples’ necks by dishing out rules such as this one. I remember how difficult it was being a single Christian when I was younger and know of quite a few Christians who married after short engagements, mainly so they could have sex!! Hardly a good enough reason to commit to what we’re told is meant to be a lifelong relationship.

Although I suspect Brian has softened in his stance on homosexuality in recent times, he still seemed against it. On the one hand, I liked that Brian said anyone was welcome to his church. He also seemed to have a great deal of compassion toward people suffering in all kinds of areas, including sexuality. However he spoke of people struggling “with unwanted feelings” making homosexuality sound like an illness!! To be honest, I thought he would have moved past that by now. Even the medical profession are ahead in that regard.

Of course he’s entitled to his beliefs but for such a modern church, they seem quite backward. And given that a fair few of his congregation would surely be LGBT, I’m surprised he’s not more progressed and aware of the needs of his people. It makes me appreciate Rob Buckingham, the 100 revs and mrg even more.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 17, 2010, 22:13

We are a Christian Church and as such believe the Bible provides us with clear teaching on sexuality and sexual expression – heterosexual and homosexual. But I do not believe this is about rules and regulations as much as God wanting what is best for each of us.

Thanks AM. I read the above paragraph by Hillsong in its earlier statement on sexuality. I understand where you’re coming from. I think that the last sentence is the key to understanding the context in which churches like Hillsong who are not fully welcoming of LGBT people operate. When I read Love Is an Orientation by Andrew Marin recently I think it put things into perspective for me in the sense that God does want the best for us regardless of our sexual orientation.

The challenge I think for many churches is seeing beyond the binary male female gender ideals and traditional institutions like marriage. I guess that’s where the balance between science and theology needs to be found. My hope is that this balance is revealed to churches and those who are seeking Gods will in their life. See my previous post at http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/885

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 17, 2010, 23:18

Well I have no problem with knowing that God wants the best for us. That’s not the issue.

Hillsong have said that the bible provides clear teaching on sexuality and sexual expression. That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. If it was clear, then Brian would have answered the question as such instead of hesitating and saying it’s complicated or something along those lines. If it was clear, then none of us would be having these discussions. The bible is not a sex manual and it in fact says very little about sex and sexuality. As far as I know, homosexuality was not even a word that was used in the original texts however many Christians are still inserting their own misguided beliefs around this topic and claiming it’s God’s word.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 17, 2010, 23:42

Yep, I totally agree with you AM. The Bible is definately not a sex manual 😉 I would hesitate to suggest that if it was, it would be quite a popular book, although isn’t it the worlds highest selling book now? I’m on page with you regarding some churches interpretation of teaching on sexuality and sexual expression. It’s a grey area that is rarely if ever black and white. My former church was even more dogmatic and stricter than Hillsong, so I know what it’s like to be affected by the church’s so-called rules and regulations governing sex.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 18, 2010, 15:48

if they let us marry……does that mean we wont be sinning any more…..hehe.

Many heterosexual Christians…..and particularly males….only think of homosexuality in terms of an act and not an orientation……here lies the problem. Ignorance about sexual orientation.

I was also disappointed with the statement that went to air.

having done numerous TV interviews myself I am also aware that there can be a hour of recording when much more is said and clarified ……..that ends up on the cutting room floor. that is why I prefer live interviews……..nothing can be edited out.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 18, 2010, 19:53

Hi Pierre

Yes my church was also stricter than Hillsong. We weren’t allowed to be alone with someone of the opposite sex and they had rules re which behaviours would be allowed in the pre marriage stages! :~ And then one time when I baby sat for the youth pastor and his wife, they came home early because they were desperate to have sex! They made it obvious too which was hard to cope with as a young person missing out. (I’m not saying they were being malicious and it was nice to see them happy but still I think some sensitivity might have been good…)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 18, 2010, 20:07

Hi avb

Well they have to overcome the hurdle of homosexuality being a sin in its own right first. But yeah, I think when they do allow gay marriage this will make our married relationships righteous in some Christians’ eyes. We will no longer just be fornicators or given over to the sins of the flesh! 😉 hehe

avb, I’m relieved you were disappointed by the statement and it wasn’t just me feeling like that. Your response validates mine .. and I wondered what you’d make of the interview given you know Brian better than I do. You’ve always been kind about Hillsong and the progress going on there so I expected they might be more ahead than what their statement showed. And yes, I did consider that it might have been heavily edited. That said, Brian’s very uncomfortable body language was fairly telling even if cut and pasted. And I also appreciate he was probably reluctant to do the interview because they might edit against his control and portray things quite differently.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.