Forums

How I have come to accept myself (and the journey just begins)

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 21, 2010, 20:25

The parents issue is a difficult one for me.

They’re the type of people who will come home from shopping and can’t resist complaining about the gay person who served them at the checkout. Or they wont watch a TV program if it features a gay couple (and complain every time an ad comes on). Or will react very negatively if they see a news story about homosexual issues. Actually, some of the stuff they have said isn’t repeatable. It happens every other day.

But they don’t know how that stuff hurts me because they don’t know that I am gay. And with the exception of their intolerant view towards homosexuals they are great people. They have been great parents. I have a pretty good relationship with them (built on a lie maybe, I don’t know).

I want to tell them. I guess I am just wondering if their love towards me will balance out their hatred of homosexuals.

I am aware that as more people know that I am gay, it eventually reaches a point where the cat is out of the bag. I do love my parents and I don’t want them to feel like they are the last people to know. But do I owe them this? Not sure.

I will think about this some more.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 23, 2010, 01:58

So I visited my friend’s place to check it out. The place is perfect. Really close to work. And he is a guy I could live with.

As I said earlier, I couldn’t move in with my friend without telling him I am gay. So I told him. As I expected he was quite understanding. Yay! He just doesn’t want me bringing guys home for overnight stays on a regular basis which is fine by me.

So unless anything comes up I will be moving out of home around the end of November.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 23, 2010, 08:47

Hey Mr Summit

Yay!! That’s exciting and sounds very positive. Moving out is an important step in the journey toward being more yourself, I think.

That’s great that your friend was understanding too. How do you feel about that?

Give yourself time to adjust to each change and enjoy the journey. There’s no rush.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 23, 2010, 23:53

The parents issue is a difficult one for me.

They’re the type of people who will come home from shopping and can’t resist complaining about the gay person who served them at the checkout. Or they wont watch a TV program if it features a gay couple (and complain every time an ad comes on). Or will react very negatively if they see a news story about homosexual issues. Actually, some of the stuff they have said isn’t repeatable. It happens every other day.

But they don’t know how that stuff hurts me because they don’t know that I am gay. And with the exception of their intolerant view towards homosexuals they are great people. They have been great parents. I have a pretty good relationship with them (built on a lie maybe, I don’t know).

I want to tell them. I guess I am just wondering if their love towards me will balance out their hatred of homosexuals.

I am aware that as more people know that I am gay, it eventually reaches a point where the cat is out of the bag. I do love my parents and I don’t want them to feel like they are the last people to know. But do I owe them this? Not sure.

I will think about this some more.

i think it is important to consider as more people know who you are……..people dont keep secrets. Every person who knows increases the risk of your parents hearing something. So I guess the question is…..would you prefer your parents to hear via the grapevine (with its additional twists) or for you to tell them the truth…….and it is in your control and not the hands of someone else.

In your letter to them I would mention who worried you have been about sharing with them because of the comments your hear regularly at home and how that hurts. Every time they have said something derogatory about gay people they have been speaking about you. That hurts.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 24, 2010, 00:08

Hey Mr Summit

Yay!! That’s exciting and sounds very positive. Moving out is an important step in the journey toward being more yourself, I think.

That’s great that your friend was understanding too. How do you feel about that?

Give yourself time to adjust to each change and enjoy the journey. There’s no rush.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Well I guess I am pacing myself out over the next 3 months. Feels slow. It is hard to keep something a secret when you are not ashamed any more.

Every time I tell someone and they take it well it feels like yet another load off my shoulders. It’s not the same as when I first told someone (that was a crazy emotional experience). But it still feels like a huge relief and it makes me feel pretty good to know I am accepted, “warts” and all. This is the first time I have told someone and my hands haven’t shaken.

This guy sent me an SMS afterwards as a way of encouragement. That was nice of him.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 24, 2010, 00:21

i think it is important to consider as more people know who you are……..people dont keep secrets. Every person who knows increases the risk of your parents hearing something. So I guess the question is…..would you prefer your parents to hear via the grapevine (with its additional twists) or for you to tell them the truth…….and it is in your control and not the hands of someone else.

Yeah, this is something that I think about and it is what I mean when I say, “I am aware that as more people know that I am gay, it eventually reaches a point where the cat is out of the bag.”

My parents don’t really have much contact with my friends, but still – the risk is there. For the most part I have been pretty fortunate that people have kept their mouths shut (some for 4 years now). There has been very few “leaks”. I have been blessed with good, straight friends.

I’m mathematically inclined, so I guess I see the risk of my secret getting out as the square of the number of people I tell.

In your letter to them I would mention who worried you have been about sharing with them because of the comments your hear regularly at home and how that hurts. Every time they have said something derogatory about gay people they have been speaking about you. That hurts.

This is a message they have to hear (and it is a message that many people need to hear, on behalf of closeted people everywhere), but I’m curious about your reasoning on why to put it in my coming out letter. When they read that, I don’t want the main thing they feel to be guilt.

I’m not up to letter writing yet, but I am wondering how much information I should put in it. I could write a lot of stuff about what it has been like growing up gay in church, how I have reconciled my faith with my sexuality, etc. It’s be a lot to take on at once. Given the shock they’ll experience and their false beliefs about gay people, how much information are they really going to be able to absorb in one sitting?

Do you have any guidelines here on what to say in a coming out letter? So I know for when it comes time to write it.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 24, 2010, 09:05

Hi Mr Summit

I also think the inclusion of what avb says above is great for a coming out letter. It’s not to make your parents feel bad about themselves. I agree – that would be unhelpful. It’s more to raise awareness of how their actions affect you and others. They won’t realise until someone lets them know. And you can effectively convey that in love by surrounding those sentences with words of encouragement. It’s important to give feedback about their positive input from the start. In doing so you are showing a balanced and fair way of perceiving them, perhaps in part because of the great values and example they have instilled in you.. (I don’t know of course since I don’t know your parents but this is something to think about. Alternatively you might be demonstrating something new to them that they need to learn). You will be showing them that you see past any faults to the whole of who they are. You see that part of them that has a detrimental effect yet you still love and appreciate them regardless. This is a way of modelling what you hope their response will be toward you (i.e. that they will be able to see past the ‘gayness’ that might be perceived by them as wrong to the beautiful person that you are).

The letters that have had good outcomes that I’ve seen have included lots of positive things about the parents’ contributions in the person’s life, especially around Christian values etc. It has been pointed out that they are not the reason the person writing is gay in order to avoid them blaming themselves as parents often do. The writer has communicated their love and worry for their parents while giving them encouragement and a couple of helpful resources to look at.

Check out Ben’s letter as a great example.

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/188

Feel free to post any letter writing here. We are always happy to give feedback. And even if you don’t use the letter for your parents, it’s a good exercise for considering what’s important to you and to get your thoughts and feelings organised.

Hope that’s helpful.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 24, 2010, 10:47

I reckon that writing the letter asap should now become a priority. …..for two reasons……firstly it will help you get things clear about what your really want to say and the actual content……..and just on the off chance that you are outed by someone else you can hand over the letter for them to read alone……instead of getting caught up in an emotional moment.

The tone is just as if not more important than the content.

its about giving them the power to rise to the occasion being good parents and christians.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 24, 2010, 11:04

Hi Mr Summit

Great minds think alike, avb. I’ve been thinking the exact, same thing with regards to making the letter a priority for the reasons you point out.

Mr Summit, I agree it’s imperative you write the letter ASAP. As avb says, you’ve then got something to hand over that’s considered and thought out in case you get caught out. It will be a support to both you and your parents.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 26, 2010, 08:53

Ok, you have convinced me. I will start working on the letter.

I had chat over the phone today with the friend that I am moving in with. He had gotten over the shock and naturally had a few questions. One of the things he said really stood out.

He said that being against gay marriage had always been a really fundamental part of his beliefs, but he also said he has a huge level of respect for me in regards to the way I practice my faith and form my beliefs. The fact that I can reconcile being gay and Christian has him floored. He just doesn’t know what to believe on the topic anymore. And we haven’t even been through any scriptures/arguments.

I thought that was a really nice compliment. But it also made me think about what avb said in regards to how people move through the spectrum as they come to know LGBT people.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.132 seconds.