Forums

not out still confused 47

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
October 8, 2011, 17:15

Sex is the last area most Christians can apply grace and forgiveness to, preferring the ‘safety’ of preaching church law.

You bring up a good point loveisnotsin, actually when you think about it the church, well the ones I have been too, stay well away from any issues relating to sex full stop whether it’s between a married man and women, or LGBTI sex. Pity.

ammi

Joined in 2011
October 8, 2011, 18:35

Welcome Sarab… Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for coming along with your story just now. I haven’t been checking the forum regularly for a while and am so encouraged to find your story here as I come back to it tonight – if you read my story… Confused 49 year old… you will find I start in a very similar space to where you have. I have so appreciated reading all the comments in this thread and being reminded that my probable same sex attraction can some how fit in with my strong deep commitment to faith and ‘the church’ – and even my call to minister in bible teaching.

I’m not sure I have come as far as you seem to have come in the time since you started interacting here – well, I made some of the progress and have regressed again.. if you want to call it that. I’m would agree with the others that it is helpful to take things slowly and give yourself time to settle with the understandings you are learning about yourself and your sexuality, and also about who could support you in this journey of self discovery.

I was talking to someone this week – who said that everyone deserves a soul mate – then someone else (in a totally different context) said today much the same thing as long as there is no sexual expression between people of the same sex. I expressed in another conversation today how angry I am that the church makes sexual expression ‘the big sin’ and divisive factor, above pride, arrogance, judgemental attitudes and hate – and I know which ones Jesus was more angry about.

I don’t have answers yet – and have had to come to realise that I’m not ready to ‘come out’ to anyone, really – least of all myself – and that with my mental illness – my priority is really to stay alive and safe – and I guess I don’t have any hope that there will ever be that special someone for me… and I guess that is sad… and just now, makes me want to cry.

I will follow your journey with interest and maybe can find some courage and answers as you wrestle with your questions….. Bon Courage….

ammi

sarab

Joined in 2011
October 9, 2011, 14:15

Thanks Ammi for your encouragement.

It is lovely to know that amidst all my confused ramblings, questions and mixed up journey that someone else has found encouragement in that. I have read through some of your story – and yes I can see we share some similarities [and differences too! 🙂 ]

I agree it can be painful to think of life without a “soul mate” – I think this overwhelming sadness about that very fact is what has led me to this point. It was kind of like I said to myself “you have to do something about this”.

I have taken another big step and have visited a GLBT affirming church. I did some research and decided to take myself off to attend a service. The people were very welcoming and I am thinking that between now and the end of the year that I will go to both my church and this one… just to quietly work things through in my own space and time.

I have spent some time on this website reading other people’s stories. It has been both heartbreaking at times, yet incredibly encouraging. What an amzing lot you moderators are. Your words of encouragement and the time & energy you give in giving prompt replies to people when they need it most is an absolute blessing. This is an amazing ministry right here.

Thanks also to Mother Hen for your info on terminology! Phew! and I thought I came across a lot of acronyms through my work!! 🙂

I have a question to the moderators and website people about how the whole “quoting someone else” in a post works. Can someone explain that please (I am a bit of a technological luddite at times). I can see to click on the word quote – but how do you select which bit to quote and where it ends and your words start?

Thanks

Sarab

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 9, 2011, 14:59

Hi sarab

Thanks for your kind words. 🙂

In answer to your question about how to quote someone else here, the instructions are as follows. (And I apologise if it’s too basic since I don’t know your level of computer knowledge).

1. Left click and hold this down while dragging your mouse over the section you want to quote. This area of text will then be highlighted in blue.

2. Right click over the area that’s highlighted and a box will appear with options that include copy, paste etc.

3. Move your cursor down to ‘copy’. Left click on this.

4. Select ‘reply’ in response to someone’s post that you wish to quote.

5. Place your cursor in the reply box. Right click and a box will appear with the option to ‘paste’. Select ‘paste’ and your copied text will appear.

6. Prior to the text, I type: “x wrote”: so it’s clear who authored the quote.

7. After “x wrote:” before the start of the quote, put the word ‘quote’ in square brackets. And at the end of the quote, put ‘/quote’ in square brackets to finish. This will put the quote in pale grey font, thus differentiating it from the rest of your own writing which is in black.

Give this a go and if any problems, let me know and I’ll step you through it.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
October 9, 2011, 15:29

7. After “x wrote:” before the start of the quote, put the word ‘quote’ in square brackets. And at the end of the quote, put ‘/quote’ in square brackets to finish. This will put the quote in pale grey font, thus differentiating it from the rest of your own writing which is in black.

The other option is to click on the quote button instead of the reply this will quote the whole text, with the words quote in square brackets as Ann Marie mentioned and the person (name) you are quoting is included in the first square brackets at the start of the message, delete the bits you don’t want to quote, after the square quote brackets and before the end square quote brackets.

Well that’s the way I do it I didn’t know about the way Ann Maree mentioned, I just hit the quote button one day, to see what it did and figured it out :bigsmile:

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 9, 2011, 15:38

Thanks Mother Hen. Your way sounds much easier actually. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
October 9, 2011, 17:32

Thanks Both of you – if you see some sort of weirdo looking quote in a message of mine in the future – you will know I am having a little practice 🙂

Sarab.

sarab

Joined in 2011
October 10, 2011, 20:26

Interesting little side issue to deal with today. A friend has invited me to go to a series at her church “A Christian response to homosexuality” – talk about weird timing (God’s timing?) – and I suspect that I won’t like much of what is said…

I thought I would go – strangeley I want to hear it.

There will be a question answer time at the end…. any suggestions as to what to ask?

Any suggestions for succinct comments –

would appreciate your feedback.

Sarab

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 11, 2011, 08:14

Hi sarab

If it was me in your place I’d be wanting to know what your friend’s motive is for inviting you. I’d also want to know who’s providing the talk and what their stance is. I’d want to know these things before I even considered going.

You said that you suspect you won’t like much of what’s said and yet you still want to hear it. Can you say more about that?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
October 11, 2011, 09:35

Hi Ann Maree

My friend has asked me as we have discussed the issue of the Bible and gay relationships before. We have discussed the various teaching series at her church over some time and she mentioned months ago that this particular series was coming up. I had said I would be interested – I have discussed with her my struggle to agree with “the church stance” on “homosexuality” – she knows my sister is gay. It is just incredible timing that the series should be right now. It is an Anglican church – in a conservative diocese – (need I say more?) well known speaker over a number of years in Christian circles – so I can only imagine it will be a talk that says that “homosexuality is wrong”. …Why do I still want to go?

Well I guess I always like to think and puzzle things out. If I am also to be armed with any sort of position or counter argument, I need to know what the nay sayers (dare I say the “opposition” !) are saying. I am like this with all issues – I like to hear and consider both sides. I guess I am just a bit nervous because everything is a bit new and raw in my mind – so I can’t foresee my emotional reaction. I am however keen to have some key questions ready to ask – should I be brave enough. I have had no problems in the past asking controversial questions about issues such as gay relationships etc in Christian circles – as I have always in my mind been advocating for my sister and gay friends. It’s just a bit closer to home now – & I feel a bit more vulnerable. Does that make sense?

Sarab 🙂

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.188 seconds.