Forums

not out still confused 47

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2011, 17:37

Hi sarab

ammi is indeed a gem, regularly showing great insight into the human experience, and empathy for your situation and others. 🙂

You said:

However, I said to my best friend recently that the process of counselling – although painful – kind of made me feel more alive.

That’s exactly what good counselling should do. It’s about forming a true and genuine connection with another and yourself, being warmly accepted and understood in a deep way which may not happen anywhere else. You allow yourself to be vulnerable in someone else’s presence, someone dedicated to being there just for you – it’s a very intimate thing and when that other ‘gets’ you, it’s like a miracle come true. And the acceptance shown by the counsellor eventually becomes internalised as self acceptance. This is one of the most healing things there is. And when that happens, it’s like a door opens to inner resources you might not have seen or considered before and you are naturally motivated and enlivened toward positive change. There’s also the cathartic part of releasing negative emotions in a safe environment which causes there to be room for other experiences. When a shift in our internal world occurs, a weight is literally lifted from us and we have more energy. So it’s not surprising you would feel more alive. I also believe that being more of who we really are, and accepted as such, means we don’t have to have so many defences operating. Our whole beings can relax and not be under the pressure that comes with suppressing who we are. (Perhaps that’s what you were eluding to when you mentioned suppressing your sexuality, intimacy and true connection? And now that you’re acknowledging those areas, you don’t have to work so hard to hide them. From experience, I’ve found that’s a huge relief).

On another note, I hear you saying you like an adrenalin rush. Many people do and that’s OK as long as it serves you. Dr Elaine Aron talks about “sensation seekers” alongside her work with highly sensitive people. Perhaps you can relate with that? Check out http://www.hsperson.com if you wish to know more. And don’t worry – I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunity for adrenaline rushes as you journey on. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
November 2, 2011, 19:56

Hi again Ann Maree,

You said re counselling:

it’s a very intimate thing and when that other ‘gets’ you, it’s like a miracle come true. And the acceptance shown by the counsellor eventually becomes internalised as self acceptance. This is one of the most healing things there is. And when that happens, it’s like a door opens to inner resources you might not have seen or considered before and you are naturally motivated and enlivened toward positive change.

Yes – you have again helped by articulating so well what I have been experiencing. This really resonates with me & helps explain this feeling of being “more alive”. I think my reference to supressing sexuality, intimacy and true connection and it’s relationship with feeling more energised is that I think I have denied a true alive part of myself for a long while. I keep thinking of having “been asleep” and now I am “awake”. I have to say though – all this “awakeness” is really exhausting. I am so very tired at the moment.

I had a look at Elaine Aron’s work – not sure this really fits with me – I didn’t fit the profile and I am not really an adrenalin seeker as such – tend to be more placid and even keel -perhaps this sense of adrenalin surge is more a mixture of anxiety and a new “awakeness” to new feelings, thoughts, constructs etc.

Sarab 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2011, 21:20

Hi sarab

I’m glad that some of the counselling description rang true. 🙂

It’s not surprising that you would feel tired. On the one hand, your adrenaline rush will be energising in the short term but then often leave you tired afterwards. In a sense you’re moving mountains on the inside and that’s major stuff. The adrenaline in response to anxiety and your new sense of “awakeness” sounds very likely. That’s all normal. Being awake means that you are more actively engaging with yourself, taking in and sorting through a lot of new information. And that requires much concentration and energy. Don’t underestimate the effort required and try to get lots of rest.

Elaine Aron’s types may not be right for you.. However she advises those who absorb or process a lot to ensure they allow themselves plenty of time to rest. And that might be useful for you at this time.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
November 3, 2011, 20:25

OK – next issue in my mind…

I am keen to hear from those on this site about the ways in which Christian friends have responded to your sexuality and how you have managed this and how you may have maintained those friendships despite what may be some significant theological/philosophical differences.

I had a call from a very dear friend last night. We no longer live near each other but when we did, we met weekly to pray together, we encouraged each other spiritually, shared many things. She knows that I have always been a bit “left of centre” in my thinking – she is very conservative in comparison. However, we have always been in mutual agreement about what we would regard as the “authority of the scriptures”.

Prior to the point of my coming out to myself I had shared with her that I was seeing a counsellor and that I was sorting through some issues around why I had been partner-less for my whole life.

Last night as we talked – she asked how things were going… here is where I really started to feel uncomfortable. We have had an incredibly honest friendship… and yet….now I have begun deceit by omission.

I did tell her that I had decided to attend a new church. When she asked why?…. again…. the omission. I HATE this. It feels so disingenuous – so wrong.

I just know that many of my Christian friends when they find out down the track that I am going to a GLBT friendly church, let alone that I am gay myself – are going to be fervently praying for me, will try to “counsel” me out of it… Hmmm – I am feeling a bit sick about this.

So – how have you others on this site managed this? Does your sexuality continue to be the “elephant in the room”? or have you lost friends along the way?

Intersted to hear your feedback.

Sarab 🙂

Sharon

Joined in 2010
November 4, 2011, 00:31

Hi Sarab, my Christian friends who move in ‘liberal’ circles are cool with it, and go out of their way to encourage and support me in my faith and sexuality. My Christian friends who move in ‘fundamental’ circles initially tried to talk me out of it (tried to save me, pull me from the fire). Once they realised I was resolute they’ve pretty much left the topic alone. I’m pretty sure they’re praying for me, and they expect I will return to the straight path one day. It’s only my dear mother who continues to try to convert me, God bless her! She means well!

sarab

Joined in 2011
November 4, 2011, 17:54

Hi Sharon,

thanks for posting this. I too have some friends who I am sure will be fine. I am concerned for those friends who I know will be truly grieved – as they will see this as “moving away from God”. I don’t want them to feel worried or upset on my behalf – yet I know full well they will. I smiled at your comment about your mum!

I am interested to hear from people on the site as to whether those friendships with those who believe that being gay is a sin… can actually survive. I guess my phone conversation with my friend last night served to get me thinking about how two people with diametrically opposed theological standpoints and world views can continue to maintain a friendship in the same way. This is sad to think about.

Sarab

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
November 4, 2011, 18:08

Hi Sarab,

There is comment that was made on a post that I started that I thought was relevant to you, when you mention about people being truly concerned for you.

When I come out, I find telling people that I am happy with who I am and/or that life is good for me, helps the person to know how to respond. They may be reeling inside, but at least they can agree with you, move on, and think about it further later.

I think it is a really good point Ian made, if you point out to people this is what you want, what is making you happy, what you need hopefully they will receive it well.

God Bless

sarab

Joined in 2011
November 6, 2011, 16:06

Thanks Mother Hen for letting me know of these words from Ian J.

You and he make a good point. Perhaps the time to talk to Christian friends may not be when I am feeling vulnerable or uncertain. If they see/hear me in a good positive space and frame of mind it may help them to – if not agree with me – at least not worry too much for me.

Funny though – we can plan all we like about how/when/what to say to people – but sometimes we have no control over this. I already have a few friends with their radar attuned to my decision to leave my church. It is becoming a little tricky to manage. :~

Thanks again,

Sarab

sarab

Joined in 2011
November 7, 2011, 21:21

Thought I would share that my mind is having a bit of a battle at the moment. 🙁

On a big picture level I have doubts about my capacity to ever meet anyone – to ever be initmate.

On a more immediate level I am anxious about talking to people in my current church about my decision to leave.

I am anxious about their questioning about my reason for doing so. I am anxious that once they cotton onto the fact that it is a fairly liberal progressive, same sex friendly church that they will somehow “be on to me”.

I am distressed about the fact that I have so much going on in my mind… yet can’t share it with anyone.

I have thoughts about my decision to come out to myself as being “rebellious” & “sinful” – (damn – thought I’d moved past that.)

I wonder whether God is waiting for me to “cave in” and tell Him I am just a sinner – and to “return” to Him – which I fear means supression, denial and ignoring true feelings. I don’t want to do this – so I am left feeling like I am wilfully rebelling – which in turn makes me feel anxious. The expression “shifting sand” comes to mind. The church song “Our hope is built on nothing less….. all else is sinking sand”. I keep thinking…. am I building a foundation on sinking sand? I keep praying to God “help me build my hope on you”…

I wish that some Christians who so simplistically express their views about same sex relationships as being wrong and who think that we should just “trust God” – I wish they would know the absolute struggle that people go through. I wish they would know that if we didn’t love God so much or didn’t have faith in Him that it wouldn’t be a struggle – that we’d just live a selfish life. Instead, we decide to put ourselves through the angst of trying to figure out how to best reconcile faith with sexuality. Sigh – this should not be so hard.

I can’t tell you how many times I have said to God in the last few days – “please know – I know you want what is best for me…help me to want what you want for me…” it’s the best most feeble prayer I can offer.

I had a lovely day at the new church yesterday – felt very welcomed – yet subsequently – so many doubts and anxieties.

So – although things have moved forward positively for me to date…. I think this is what we might call a “setback”.

Thanks for praying people as I know you will.

Sarab xx

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
November 7, 2011, 22:22

First thing that comes to mind Sarab is to stop and take a deep breath. I don’t want to minimize your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes we can have these things going around and around in our head and they end up being made into bigger issue than they need be. Please don’t think I am putting down your feelings.

I think it’s normal when dealing with the issues you are to feel like you take several steps forward and then wham you get hit with something and feel like you are back where you started. It seems to be part of the process. :~

You have had the church telling you being gay is wrong for such along time, you can’t just shake off those thoughts and beliefs overnight, even if you want to. It is going to take time, you have been powering on, give yourself some time, be patient with yourself

I wish that some Christians who so simplistically express their views about same sex relationships as being wrong and who think that we should just “trust God” – I wish they would know the absolute struggle that people go through. I wish they would know that if we didn’t love God so much or didn’t have faith in Him that it wouldn’t be a struggle – that we’d just live a selfish life. Instead, we decide to put ourselves through the angst of trying to figure out how to best reconcile faith with sexuality. Sigh – this should not be so hard.

I was thinking that this is a great thing to say to those who believe same sex relationships are wrong. I can tell when you wrote it was filled with emotion you tell that to people with that same emotion and they won’t be able to deny your words.

God loves you Sarab and created you the way you are. To not be true to yourself is to deny him. If God is god and he didn’t want you to be the way you are he would change you. Trust in his wisdom and love.

Thankyou that you trust us enough to share what you are going through, that is very brave. 🙂

You are in my prayers.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.238 seconds.