Forums

The message we have been waiting to hear

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 29, 2009, 19:49

I think it is much more personal if people say thanks to Rob themselves……he already knows how grateful I am 😀 …….and only you can say why you are thankful…..I believe over the last ten days he has had a new insight into our world and how excited we are to hear his message…..i think he has actually spend the last 10 days replying to emails.

thanks for doing that……do you know how to contact him.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 29, 2009, 19:56

Yeah no worries AVB. I’ve posted a message to him on FB and also via the southern star.

Cheers,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 29, 2009, 21:16

you’re a good girl 😀 😀 😀

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 29, 2009, 21:31

Funny you should say that! I’m wearing a T-shirt that says ‘I try to be a good girl’. And people have stopped me to ask if it’s true. Heehee 😆

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 30, 2009, 01:26

I was going to send him a message, but I kind of felt he’d be receiving enough messages as is. What do you think? I certainly am grateful… and wow, I just NOW realized that this message was from last week. Feels like I just heard it this Sunday. 😛

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 31, 2009, 12:48

you can never get enough message of affirmation or hear enough stories of struggle. I think it is the many message of struggle and pain people have experienced within or after leaving the church that have touched Rob so profoundly……he said to me…..he had actually realised how bad it was.

he is discovering as I did 5 years ago how important that we fix this……and as soon as possible. Lives depend on it. Write away…..and he’ll respond as he has done to every single email he has received over the last two weeks.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 31, 2009, 19:58

you can never get enough message of affirmation or hear enough stories of struggle. I think it is the many message of struggle and pain people have experienced within or after leaving the church that have touched Rob so profoundly……he said to me…..he had actually realised how bad it was.

he is discovering as I did 5 years ago how important that we fix this……and as soon as possible. Lives depend on it. Write away…..and he’ll respond as he has done to every single email he has received over the last two weeks.

Alright then… e-mail or Facebook? What do you think would be best?

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
October 31, 2009, 20:52

Phew! I finally managed to listen to Pastor Rob’s message. And was scanning this discussion as I did.

Agree, it is a breakthrough to have a leading pentecostal/evangelical pastor speak this way.

Had already thought about the point made above by AVB that Pastor Rob (and others) are “on a journey” of discovering new understandings.

We need to be thankful that he IS on the journey, and that that will encourage others to enter the journey. But, one sermon is only the part of the journey so far. We need to demonstrate the same graciousness that he models and give him time, and even be thankful if his journey ends at a point of understanding different to what we might hope.

He makes the point that everyone (hetro/homo/whatevero) has been / is / will continue to be a “sinner”. Who can disagree with that?

There is a key initial movement of thinking we need from our hetro Christian brethren. We need them agreeing that “being gay” is not, of itself, a sin – as many have been conditioned to think.

But, then the issue becomes: If a person (hetro/homo/whatevero) becomes a Christian, doesn’t a sanctification process begin which enables us to NOT “sin”?

The ‘elephant in the room’ for us is: do gay Christians (at least pentecostal/evangelical ones) have a different definition of / practice of behaviour which sincere hetro Christians would define as “sin”?

Mmm, food for thought.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 31, 2009, 22:09

welcome to the forum forestgrey……..and thanks for your thoughts…..possibly there is not only an elephant, but a giraffe and hypo in the room as well……hehe.

May be together we can remove them one by one and release them into the wild where they belong.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 31, 2009, 22:20

But, then the issue becomes: If a person (hetro/homo/whatevero) becomes a Christian, doesn’t a sanctification process begin which enables us to NOT “sin”?

The ‘elephant in the room’ for us is: do gay Christians (at least pentecostal/evangelical ones) have a different definition of / practice of behaviour which sincere hetro Christians would define as “sin”?

Hi forestgrey. There are several relevant discussion threads on the forum which address these important issues for GLBT people that you’ve raised. I’ve listed some of these below that you might like to check out …

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3960

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3934

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864

I think it essentially boils down to what you feel comfortable with in your personal relationship with God, considering your personal beliefs and core values, as well as the fact that we know that there are many different subcultures that are not representative of gay Christians generally …

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.118 seconds.