Forums

The message we have been waiting to hear

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

sman

Joined in 2009
October 21, 2009, 14:05

Haha… yeah I didn’t think you were judging him at all. Just want all to know that the guy has no hidden agenda. Regarding him being for or against gay marriage if he’s against it does it mean he thinks you should change? He may not be at a place yet on what he believes. I know lots of people against gay marriage but they are not against homosexuality. I think we sometimes bring a lot of what has hurt us over the years into if we believe someone or not. And so we should really. But like you said lets find out by talking to him what he believes.

Thanks everyone for being different. I love this forum because I get to here sides of things that you wouldn’t normally in your life.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 14:26

How do you download this? I am trying to find a link, but I can’t find anything! I want to play this for my dad… I know he hasn’t listened in the past, but maybe he’ll listen if he hears it coming from a straight pastor. Can anybody help me?

I have already heard the message, I just want to save it to my computer. Any help?

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 21, 2009, 14:28

Hi sman,

Yeh its bound to happen that we bring those hurts along with us and it does shape how we think and act. Thats part of being human.

I also appreciate your point about him not being at a place of knowing what he believes – like with many of us it happens in stages so thanks for pointing that out – easy to forget.

Btw the link you provided to a site about Tony Campolo and his wife didnt work – had to click another link on the page that got thrown up instead and that got me to a general page for discussion of homosexuality and faith. Just thought I’d let you know.

😀

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 15:29

Is it possible for this message to be posted on YouTube? Just asking. It seems like a shame that it is only available for one week.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 16:07

Hi Sman

I can’t grasp why its early days for acceptance. And why on earth can’t pastors accept single parent families? What’s with that?? I think it’s easy to make excuses for the church when really it needed to have gotten with the program a long, long time ago. Making excuses keeps people at a babyish state instead of maturing. Pastors are no different to the rest of us – they need to grow up. (Don’t take this personally – I just need to vent).

Having said that, I certainly don’t mind differences of opinion. I work with them all the time and know that they promote growth, and although not a big fan of confrontation, have realised it’s not so bad afterall. And despite my impatience over the above, I am celebrating this move forward and actually feeling good about it. And thanks for your part in challenging Rob a year ago. You’ve obviously witnessed some progress that a lot of us haven’t so it’s good to get that perspective. It must be nice for you to see that close up too.

On another note, you make a very good point about the fact that whether or not someone supports gay marriage may not reflect their beliefs and attitudes on homosexuality. I know some people who are against marriage as an entire institution but they are not against people who might want to marry, whatever their orientation. Just a thought for you, Ant. Maybe there was another question beneath that one to address to Ps Rob? Is it that you want to know that it’s OK to remain openly gay in the church forever without fear of someone trying to change who you are (when this can’t be done)?

I don’t think you were being anything other than fair and reasonable in your comments, Ant. And I agree that it’s great that Rob is looking at these posts and even having time to answer emails. He must be v busy, especially over this issue, so that is really nice. And lovely point, Meg, about “Whoever is not against us is for us.” You really are a beautiful person.

Thanks Orfeo regarding your info on the gay stats. I was told 10% of people when living in the UK which may have pertained to that population only. But then I don’t know why they’d have more gay people than Australia. Do you know when the Sex in Ausralia study was carried out? I just want to be sure, and one study may not be enough to base a figure on, especially if it was 20 years ago.

Ant, I agree it’s important to feel safe in any environment and asking questions and receiving positive, true answers is a good start. I’m not sure whether those people on the blog were from Rob’s church. The same thought initially occurred to me though. But then I think I saw that one of them was from the US, so quite possibly not from bayside. And yes, I think it’s wise not to put yourself into an unsafe position. I certainly don’t want to do that either and that’s why I ask lots of questions and allow things to unfold.

While I believe Rob’s heart was in the right place with advising that people keep their ideas to themselves in order to reach others, it does come across that evangelism is the main goal rather than just being decent people. I’m sure those that know Rob will say he was trying to get those people to withhold judgment rather than be sneaky or insincere. And as a first step, I can accept that as good as long as the ugly attitudes aren’t just whitewashed over to maintain a certain appearance for the long term.

Ann Maree

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 21, 2009, 17:58

Hi Ann Maree,

I too cant fig why its so hard to accept single parent families there are so many family models now that to expect the heteronormative model all the time is ridiculous. Being a divorcee isnt such a big deal like it was in the 60’s and thats good change albeit slow. Thats the thing change is slow – people are wary of change even tho its the one thing you can count on. Ironic isnt it?

Its interesting I am no fan of confrontation either and I can see that anger isnt necessarily a bad thing and can be constructive – wow I’d have never thought this a few years ago.

Personally I am kinda over marriage. I think its been overrated but I do see that it is a very important thing for glbtiq people to be able to have that choice available to them should they wish to do so. I think to refuse us that kind of choice is clearly discriminatory.

For me, if I was to feel comfortable in a church then the ultimate test is being able to bring in a partner of the same sex to church and hold hands, be able to give that partner a peck on the lips or the cheek, hug, put my arm around them etc – I dont mean to the point of distraction but to be able to do the things that a heterosexual couple would do. I am an affectionate person so that would be normal for me. I would want acceptance of that minimum level of affection that would be ok for heterosexual couples to display to each other in that setting.

Thanks for your post Ann Maree – interesting and thought provoking.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 21, 2009, 18:16

well he (Ps Rob and the Bayside CCC) may have a long way to go in his views on the glbti community and equal rights such as marriage

but believe me,

from going to an AOG church only a couple of weekends ago and hearing a message mentioning homosexuality in a very negative way,

he is a total Godsend, very refreshing. I have some hope again, when looking at australian pente churches.

At least it is a start in a forward direction.

But you are all right, we still need to be guarded, just not walled and shut off from possibilities.

At least that is my opinion.

sman

Joined in 2009
October 21, 2009, 18:23

Yeah we dont know really where Ps Rob is regarding Gay Marriage as he hasnt yet mentioned it.

I have to agree with AOG as I grew up as a young boy and my father is still in ministry of church. The AOG will take a lot longer to get to a place of accepting a lot of things. CCC seems to lead the way in progression towards acceptance. But who knows really unless they come out and say it. Of my friends who are pastors in AOG all of them dont agree with Ps Rob which is sad. Many have said they can come but they would need to know that it isnt acceptable.

I have told a few Gay friends who used to go to church to go check Bayside out. All of them have come back saying they felt included and never have been told to change or to stop being Gay. They have been invited by people within the church to dinner with their partners and never anything mentioned. I will still suggest Bayside to anyone wanting to go to a Pentecostal church that is open to everyone.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 18:34

Hi Shane

Yes good point that we don’t know Rob’s views on gay amrriage. That’s really good to hear about Bayside, that your friends have been welcomed in that way. Sad about the other pastors though. What’s CCC? Christian City Church?

Ann Maree

sman

Joined in 2009
October 21, 2009, 18:41

Yeah Christian City Church. Now I think they call themselves C3. Yeah C3 is just more open to acceptance. Not all of em though I must say but some of the smaller, Bayside is a C3 church.

So Ann Maree what type of church did you go to where they treated you like that?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.111 seconds.