Forums

16, gay male, Pentecostal/Charismatic background

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 4, 2010, 14:00

yep…..knew you were no longer 16 but wanted to point out in my newsletter that people are coming to terms with this much earlier….I think you’ve been the youngest to post on the forum.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
September 24, 2010, 03:24

Hey everyone,

Yes, I know I’ve kind of disappeared in regards to this forum. Sorry about that! I’m sure a number of you were wondering what I’ve been up to. Well, one of the reasons I’ve been so long in writing is because I’m busy being in university now! It’s a private, Christian university, but I actually feel really comfortable here. I have a really great update to share with you guys, but like I said, being in university makes me busy. I will be sure to share with you the next little bit of my story soon, I hope I can get it up by later today actually. See you all later, and I love you guys. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 24, 2010, 08:49

Hey gettingthere

Yes I had been thinking of you, trusting you were enjoying uni.

I look forward to hearing more when you’re ready.

Love you too! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
September 24, 2010, 11:35

Hi gettingthere!

It’s good to hear from you and know that all is well with you. I hope you’re enjoying University and I am interested to know what your update is about.

Looking forward to it.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
September 24, 2010, 14:57

(I know this is long, and I’m sorry, but hopefully it’s worth reading. 🙂 )

Okay, everyone, so I got a good chunk of free time tonight, so I’ll be giving you all an update. As I’ve said before, I’m currently in a private Christian university. It’s a university I felt called to attend, even though I knew financially it would be a struggle for my family. Instead of letting that stop me, I took as a sign that this was going to be a journey of faith and I am currently so happy that I never gave up on my dream to attend here. After about three weeks of being here, I am getting along very, very well with the other students, and I would say that I truly feel like an accepted member of this special community. This is very much in contrast with my high school, for which (in spite of my love and affection for that place) I could never shake the feeling that I was an outsider. Here I have made some amazing friendships and I look forward to seeing them grow. I am so happy because I finally – FINALLY – have many friends who are guys. The guys at my high school frustrated me because they always struck me as being very immature and I felt they had very little in common with me. I didn’t mesh with them very well. The guys (and girls) I am friends with here are serious about both academics and God while still being fun to be around. I would guess that, for the first time in my life, my friends are roughly 50% male, 50% female. This is in sharp contrast with high school where I often felt like I had one male friend, and even then I wasn’t always interested in hanging out with him. For me, this has been one of the most significant changes to my life since coming here.

As for being gay, thus far, it’s relatively a non-issue. For the most part, I have come to peace with not being widely out of the closet – yet. I figure that everything must be done in it’s proper time. If there is a time for coming out widely, then I will see about doing it then – but at the moment, I feel that would be an unwise thing to do. There are however a small number of people on campus who know I’m gay, although, thus far this doesn’t seem to have a large effect on my life one way or another interestingly enough. I intend to come out to some of my closer friends at some point in the future – possibly my whole dorm if the circumstances for that seem right – but I want them to get to know me first and I want to bond with them more before I come out. In the past, I would’ve thought that was stupid, because why get close to someone when you know they could reject you as soon as you come out. (That attitude is partly what made high school so miserable for me.) But I’m now seeing things from a new perspective – and my model for this is once again Andrew Marin, homophobe turned advocate. Let me give you an example of how I actually saw this worked out for real.

I basically believe that most people at this school don’t set out to be hurtful. As AVB says often, the enemy is ignorance. The more I’m in this environment, the more I think that’s true. I don’t believe my friends are people who deliberately want to exclude or hurt or judge others. I don’t believe they set out to hurt me when they make homophobic comments. It’s just something that’s done because they aren’t thinking about it and they are unaware of the consequences of their actions. This is so important to remember, because if I had forgotten that, if I had said “people who make homophobic comments are hopeless cases, just give up on them as friends forever”, I never would’ve come out to my RA (the leader of our whole dorm, in case you don’t know what that is).

Since arriving at school, I had heard many people make homophobic comments – my RA was among the worst offenders. This disappointed me. I even told a friend I was out to that I didn’t like my RA anymore because of it. However, the more I spent time with him, the more I noticed something. He had the most loving eyes. I can’t explain it, but every time he looked at me, he did it with such love. As I continued to spend time with him, I realized that I had taken his comments and gotten offended over them. I had taken it as though he had personally hurt me. However, that was in direct contradiction to the love that I saw flowing from him in other ways. And then it clicked – there is no way my RA is doing this on purpose. There is no way my RA would ever set out to intentionally harm me. Initially, I had felt I would only come out to my RA at the end of the semester, but after my revelation, I knew that I had to come out to him sooner. It was only a couple of days before I would do just that.

And so there I was, sitting in his room, him waiting for me to say what it was that I wanted to say to him. I thought it would be easy – I was dead wrong. I couldn’t make the words leave my mouth, I trembled, I cried, I froze. Suddenly, this didn’t seem like a good idea anymore. I wanted to leave. My RA never forced me to stay. All he did was encourage me, pray for me, sit there while I trembled like a fool, said there was nothing more important to him than waiting for me to finally say what I had to say. How could I leave? How could I, somebody who’s been wanting to be out his whole life, turn down the opportunity to do so with a guy as ideal as this?

So I did it. I finally told him my whole life story, everything I could remember. As the words poured out, it became easier and easier to speak, and soon I felt like I could reveal anything I wanted to him. I waited apprehensively for his response. I didn’t know how he’d feel – one of the reasons why I was so nervous at first. But I need not have worried about him. He was fantastic. In my mind, what he said to me, was actually the IDEAL response a conservative Christian could give to somebody who comes out them – and the amazing thing is this guy isn’t versed in the literature surrounding homosexuality and Christianity. Apparently, he’s just a really solid guy. In a small way, I am still in awe of his response because it was just so insanely perfect and I’m still trying to comprehend how this guy handled it so well. Let me put some of the basic points down and then I’ll finish up my update.

-stated his belief that homosexual behavior is sinful, but made sure to point out that he didn’t believe homosexual orientation was a sin.

-made it clear that he cared about me and did not think of me as less of a person in anyway because I told him I was gay

-assured me that this would totally be between me and him and nobody else would be told about it

-stated that he wanted to learn more from me and that he didn’t want to argue about it, acknowledged our disagreement, but said that he would always approach our conversations with an attitude of love and peace

-validated and sympathized with my pain, acknowledged that I had been seriously hurt by people in the past

-apologized for the past homophobic comments he made, calling them ‘insensitive’ (I think this is probably the only time I can remember someone apologizing to me for making homophobic comments)

After I explained more about homosexuality and church, he said that he would probably classify himself as a Side B, which is totally cool with me. But at any rate, that’s probably all I should write for now. I can write more, but that would be overkill, wouldn’t it? 🙂 You’ve read enough of me for now. But yes, I hope this update is encouraging for someone out there. Will write more someday soon! Love you all!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 24, 2010, 15:17

Hi gettingthere

You’re such a positive and loving person. So I don’t know how anyone could help but love you because of those qualities alone. 🙂 🙂 🙂

You deserve every good thing that comes your way and I have no doubt in your ability to manage difficulties well.

You really are an inspiration and your maturity is amazing.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 24, 2010, 15:25

I think one of the best Christian responses I’ve heard was that from father of country singer, Chely Wright, when she came out. (The interview from Oprah is in our ‘News From Around the World’ section of the forum). To parents of other gay people, he said: “Don’t close the door but open the heart.” He realised that the goodness of his daughter, and the love that was there between them, was greater than any biblical interpretation in re to homosexuality. In other words, his relationship with and belief in Chely was the greater truth in his heart compared to a reading of scripture. I love that. As Meg said, such a gracious and beautiful man. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

RaulG

Joined in 2010
September 24, 2010, 17:06

Querido GT,

I am very, very proud of you. It is easy to act brave when one is surrounded by allies and is out of harm’s way (be it emotional or physical).

True courage is facing the unknown outcome and the reality that things may go very badly and despite all this, pushing forward in pursuit of the truth. You demonstrated great courage, my precious brother. You faced doubt and fear and

the possibilities steeped in a thousand and one horrors, and were honest about who you are and what you believed.

Lo and behold, you found someone who cared, someone to listen, someone who is at least trying to understand.

I am so happy for you!

Yours in Christ,

RaulG

IanJ

Joined in 2009
September 24, 2010, 23:11

hey gettingthere!

thanks for sharing the next chapter in your life story.

as you say- almost the perfect response from someone who is from a conservative, evangelical, and uninformed background.

he seems like a great guy- and you are too- I can’t believe that anyone would be offended by you.

i think it’s a good idea for people to get to know you first before you come out to them- after all, it’s not like being gay is the most important thing in your life. I’ve been finding that if I tell people that I am OK with being gay, at the same time that I come out to them, then that puts them at ease, and gets past them thinking that it’s a problem that needs discussion.

peace to you- and enjoy the university experience.

I’m glad you explain RA- I still don’t see the connection with ‘leader of the dorm’. But the bit I don’t understand is why, in a Christian college, so many find the need to make homophobic remarks, to others (presumably, believing that everyone is safely heterosexual)??

blessings

Ian

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
September 24, 2010, 23:50

That is such a great story, gettingthere! I’m so encouraged as I hear more and more positive stories from people who are coming out in these recent times. So good to see that attitudes seem to be changing. Even in little country towns like the one I live in. 🙂

Thanks for sharing this.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.232 seconds.